Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

30 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Bruh. C'mon. 

My point was simply that we've seen Allen do interesting*** promisingand remarkable things in the context of real NFL games. So, the fact that he's looking sharp, crisp, etc. in OTAs means something ... well, different than Peterman having looked like a competent signal caller during training camp and the preseason.

I'm not sure if it will end up meaning anything. But, here in late May, I'll take it.

*** not the right word, as Peterman definitely did some interesting things in real NFL games.

And let's not forget how negative pretty much any evaluation of EJ Manuel was throughout the offseason and preseason.  If nothing else, it's nice to see a change from that.  Those two were very similar when it comes to their biggest knock being accuracy issues.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

If someone writes your payroll checks do you work for them?

What are you asking? Do they write his payroll checks,... and for what? Not for his role at WGR (I'm assuming.) WGR is owned by Entercom, so I would assume that they are "writing his payroll checks". Is it for his work as a sideline reporter during games? If so, why isn't his name here.https://www.buffalobills.com/team/front-office-roster/

You can be affiliated with something and not be getting paid by them. I'm seriously asking, if he is getting paid by the Bills, what is is specifically for, as you seem to know?

Edited by SwampD

It’s interesting that Sal would be getting (some of?) his checks from the Bills. He very much comes off as an employee of WGR.

WGR is the flagship station of the team. So, that alone is a basis for a bias, for sure. 

He definitely does other WGR stuff that must (?) fall outside any employment by the Bills, though.

John Murphy seems more straightforwardly a Bills employee.

Also, do the Sabres employ any of the WGR reporters/personalities around that team? Peters? Biron?

Looking at his timeline, he makes several references to working for both the Bills and WGR.

Example: “And as I write here: you don't have to take my word for it - because I'm of course the team's sideline reporter and work for the flagship station.  That's cool, but read the article.  You'll read others saying the same.”

19 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It’s interesting that Sal would be getting (some of?) his checks from the Bills. He very much comes off as an employee of WGR.

WGR is the flagship station of the team. So, that alone is a basis for a bias, for sure. 

He definitely does other WGR stuff that must (?) fall outside any employment by the Bills, though.

John Murphy seems more straightforwardly a Bills employee.

Also, do the Sabres employ any of the WGR reporters/personalities around that team? Peters? Biron?

I mean, say that about Schopp with a straightface, haha.

I agree with you about Sal for the most part, but I don't think its because of the paychecks. I think he's just a homer. Which works well with his position for the team! But he's always pretty biased towards them. Before he worked for WGR he had a Bills podcast, and he used to post a lot on a forum I used to frequent called the Buffalo Range under the name "Coach C". Even back then he was a bit of a homer.

Not that he frequents here, but @Meathead I think was a regular over there for a while, too.

24 minutes ago, sabills said:

I agree with you about Sal for the most part, but I don't think its because of the paychecks. I think he's just a homer. Which works well with his position for the team! But he's always pretty biased towards them. Before he worked for WGR he had a Bills podcast, and he used to post a lot on a forum I used to frequent called the Buffalo Range under the name "Coach C". Even back then he was a bit of a homer.

Not that he frequents here, but @Meathead I think was a regular over there for a while, too.

Fair point about Schopp. He certainly doesn't pander. I don't even think he likes sports anymore (other than maybe tennis?).

Sal C for sure has some homerism to him. I'm good with that. Hell - RJ's (become) the biggest homer out there.

1 hour ago, sabills said:

I still get emails from Buffalo Range, cannot figure out how to get them to stop sending them to me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

I still get emails from Buffalo Range, cannot figure out how to get them to stop sending them to me. 

Just popped my head in there to see if I could find some old posts of Sal's. Apparently they trim out older posts and he hasn't posted anything in years. Did come across this gem though. Glad that place is about the same as when I left it.

(Censored, but still) Bad language and general crappiness below:

image.thumb.png.f60a658af6391c24847680de83e421b6.png

Edited by sabills

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Fair point about Schopp. He certainly doesn't pander. I don't even think he likes sports anymore (other than maybe tennis?).

Sal C for sure has some homerism to him. I'm good with that. Hell - RJ's (become) the biggest homer out there.

RJ’s role is not comparable to Sal’s role. At least not the parts they try to play. I have immense respect for both.

4 hours ago, sabills said:

I think this is right. The one thing I like about Sal is I generally think he knows what he's talking about, even if it has a positive skew to it. Which is considerably more than I can say for WGR's other beat reporter.

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/29/2019 at 12:18 PM, That Aud Smell said:

Sal C. definitely has some "fan" in him. I also generally find him astute and thoughtful.

I like him for the most part but he likes to blanket certain fans with a large stereotype that bothers me mostly because I'm usually that type of fan but not with the specific annoying trait that he describes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think this is right. The one thing I like about Sal is I generally think he knows what he's talking about, even if it has a positive skew to it. Which is considerably more than I can say for WGR's other beat reporter.

Yeah, no one can say he doesn't know his football, and I think he keeps up with the game better than PHam does.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Deuce is a pretty good word to use when talking about Jack Edwards.

My favorite Jack Edwards fact is that ESPN fired him from doing US National Team soccer games for the US audience for being a ridiculous homer.  Don’t think about it too hard, it’ll shatter your mind. 

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I doubt it.

You're a critical thinker and ignorant blowhards tend to fatigue such people.

I think this is kinda unfair -- Edwards is certainly a homer and "blowhard" can be sometimes applicable but he's pretty knowledgeable about hockey IMHO. 

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

If he were my hometown team's PBP guy, I reckon I'd love him to pieces.

Of the few Boston fans I’m friends with, most like the guy a lot but are willing to admit some of his more over the top moments are pretty bad. Like when he compared Campbell playing on a broken leg to D-day or Boston beating Montreal to the revolutionary war. 

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think this is kinda unfair -- Edwards is certainly a homer and "blowhard" can be sometimes applicable but he's pretty knowledgeable about hockey IMHO. 

As much as it pains me, this is true. It’s the only argument that can be made in favor of Edwards in the “who’s worse debate” between him and Trip Tracy. 

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I doubt it.

You're a critical thinker and ignorant blowhards tend to fatigue such people.

Flattery will get you everywhere.

I guess I view him mostly as an entertainer, of sorts. If he were my team's guy, I think I'd find him pretty entertaining.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Edwards is certainly a homer and "blowhard" can be sometimes applicable but he's pretty knowledgeable about hockey IMHO. 

I think that's right.

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Of the few Boston fans I’m friends with, most like the guy a lot but are willing to admit some of his more over the top moments are pretty bad. Like when he compared Campbell playing on a broken leg to D-day or Boston beating Montreal to the revolutionary war. 

Like I said, he's an entertainer. Going over the top comes with the territory.

Not for nothing, Ray Hudson is way, way over the top -- especially when it comes to Messi.