Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You didn’t tell me a single thing in your post that I didn’t already know. But that’s fine.

It doesn’t change the fact that we have heard the term “edge” more this year than ever before. It’s probably most likely due to the nature of the player we acquired, but you can’t discount the effect of the media latching onto something.

oliver isn’t an “edge” player nor was he designated as such. he’s a defensive tackle through and through.

after mike trout mlb draft analysts started using “five-tool” a ton more. it’s not the media trying to sound smart, it’s the media learning something and adapting. something it’s not good at as a whole.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

no. this really isn’t complicated. “edge” players are the only players whose position will change depending on the scheme they’re drafted into. OLB in 3-4, DE in a 4-3.

there are offensive lineman who might play a different position depending on how certain teams view them but they’re listed as whatever their most likely position is in the league because it’s not as simple as “this or that” in those cases.

Yeah. It's easier to say edge.  Won me over. 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

oliver isn’t an “edge” player nor was he designated as such. he’s a defensive tackle through and through.

A 3-technique, to be precise.

So, yeah. Looks like the media’s adopting the sport’s lexicon more and more.

Don’t forget the WILL, SAM and MIKE LBs that are the rage in college football.  Should be in the pros soon enough. (Will = weakside middle LB, Mike = strong side middle LB, SAM = Strong side outside LB.)

Oh by the way, the EDGE rusher in college is called the JACK.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, shrader said:

But if the terminology evolves, why does the fullback name still exist? And why do they still have two o-line positions named after something those guys never do, while the other three positions are named very accurately?

Fullback now sometimes called H-Back or blocking back depending on use... marketing specificity

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

after mike trout mlb draft analysts started using “five-tool” a ton more. it’s not the media trying to sound smart, it’s the media learning something and adapting. something it’s not good at as a whole.

Its marketing, sounds cool, new terms add specificity of player usage, like slot receiver, wing back... but media using it is all about marketing their media brand to as others have said sound smart 

18 hours ago, shrader said:

When did they start listing a player's position as edge?  I feel like I haven't seen that listed as the official position on draft trackers before this year.

It's always in all caps, too:  EDGE.

Annoying.  It's either a LB or a DE.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t forget the WILL, SAM and MIKE LBs that are the rage in college football.  Should be in the pros soon enough. (Will = weakside middle LB, Mike = strong side middle LB, SAM = Strong side outside LB.)

Oh by the way, the EDGE rusher in college is called the JACK.  

Will, Sam, Mike, and Jack have been around for at least forty years.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

you’re so edgy... i mean, you’re so EDGEy

It's not like I was trying to.  The whole thing just sticks out like sore thumb for me.  You've got all these two or less letter position abbreviations and then all of a sudden, they mix in that full word.  It would be like the post office having all of their state codes and then randomly throwing either Ohio or Iowa instead.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

It's not like I was trying to.  The whole thing just sticks out like sore thumb for me.  You've got all these two or less letter position abbreviations and then all of a sudden, they mix in that full word.  It would be like the post office having all of their state codes and then randomly throwing either Ohio or Iowa instead.

i was kidding, you’re more of a nickel corner.

an “edge” isn’t a position, it’s a classification. those players do not have a position.

go look at college football recruiting classes. players with no position are listed as “ATH” which generally means they’ll play a skill position as decided by the school they choose.

Granted I’m an optimist, but I think Beane and company have done a good job this off-season.  Still no game breakers for Allen, but improved overall.

1) OL should be better.  Adding Morse and Ford are huge upgrades to go with Dawkins.  Now if 2 of he other 11 in camp can play, this should be much improved this season. Maybe  Nsekhe and Feliciano will be the 2.

2) RB - I’ve been begging for upgrades for two years.  Singletary needs to prove the analytics community wrong.  Still deeper with Yeldon and Gore then last season of Ivory and Murphy.

3) WR/TE - like running back, more bodies, not sure if we have upgraded WR, but TE looks better.  Like Knox, but he is a bit of a project.  Development of Foster and Jones will likely mean more this season then adding Beasley and Brown, but if Brown can stretch defenses so much the better. If Kroft comes back healthy, he’ll help the passing game while Knox develops.

4) Ed Oliver.  Can he become Bruce Smith. John Randle or Aaron Donald.  Let’s hope so.  Regardless he is a huge upgrade with Williams retiring.  We should be able to build something with Hughes, Oliver, Lawson, Murphy, Phillips and Lotulelei.

5) DB/S - Johnson gives us one great and two solid/decent CBs with White, Wallace and Johnson. Safety is set

6) LB - Alexander re-signed.  Edmunds improvement here key to groups improvement for next season.  Milano is the anchor.

ST) - Hopefully a full year of McKenzie will help.  Also the addition of talented kids like the 2 Josephs and a deeper team will also help. Maybe one of the Corey’s can stay healthy and punt well.

Overall this is a deeper more talented team on paper without any game breakers on offense.  

35 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's always in all caps, too:  EDGE.

Annoying.  It's either a LB or a DE.

Will, Sam, Mike, and Jack have been around for at least forty years.

But not really used in common parlance by the media in as they are now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But not really used in common parlance by the media in as they are now.

Oh, most definitely they were.  I knew those terms as a seven-year-old.

On your comments re: Beane:  He's got me in his corner now, although I'm still disturbed by that trade with Miami last draft.

10 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

...are people actually annoyed that a more accurate position label is being used now? Holy smokes.

Yes, because I have to constantly explain to my elderly father what it means.  Then he asks me why they don't just call the guy an end or a linebacker.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Its marketing, sounds cool, new terms add specificity of player usage, like slot receiver, wing back... but media using it is all about marketing their media brand to as others have said sound smart 

Or they're just using the terminology that is used in the industry they're covering.

Like, imagine if financial reporters in 2008 had refused to use the term "collateralized debt obligations"?

Or if reporters covering the legal system preferred to talk about a "bad court thingy" instead of a "mistrial."

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

I have no idea about what you guys are arguing about but “five tool” was around long before Mike Trout. Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Bobby Bonds and Dave Parker were all considered five tool guys. I’m sure there were a lot more.

45 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Or they're just using the terminology that is used in the industry they're covering.

Like, imagine if financial reporters in 2008 had refused to use the term "collateralized debt obligations"?

Or if reporters covering the legal system preferred to talk about a "bad court thingy" instead of a "mistrial."

I would prefer the “bad court thingy.”

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I have no idea about what you guys are arguing about but “five tool” was around long before Mike Trout. Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Bobby Bonds and Dave Parker were all considered five tool guys. I’m sure there were a lot more.

it was, but the use of it has definitely increased significantly since trout broke out. and the conversation for those complaining centered around the media’s increased use of “edge.”

59 minutes ago, Hoss said:

it was, but the use of it has definitely increased significantly since trout broke out. and the conversation for those complaining centered around the media’s increased use of “edge.”

The only complaint I see is about the, let's face it, pretty stupid capitalization of it on those draft trackers.  It's a new position designation, fine.  There's no need to yell at us.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

The only complaint I see is about the, let's face it, pretty stupid capitalization of it on those draft trackers.  It's a new position designation, fine.  There's no need to yell at us.

EDGE