Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

39 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

And yes, it's actually fairly common for 3rd round picks to start their rookie seasons inactive on rosters that are healthy and full of depth like the 2019 Bills. Look it up.

I'm bored on a Sunday evening, so here's the last 5 years of 3rd round RBs:

Royce Freeman - 15 carries for 71 yards in the Broncos' season opener

Alvin Kamara - 7 rushes for 18 yards, 4 receptions for 20 yards in the Saints' season opener
Kareem Hunt - 17 rushes for 148 yards and a TD, 5 receptions for 98 yards and 2 TDs in the Chiefs' season opener
D'Onta Foreman - 1 rush for 4 yards in the Texans' season opener
James Conner - 4 rushes for 11 yards in the Steelers' season opener

Kenyan Drake - 0 carries, on the field for 1 snap in the Dolphins' season opener
CJ Prosise - 1 rush for -2 yards, 1 reception for 13 yards in the Seahawks' season opener (coincidentally against the Dolphins)

Tevin Coleman - 20 rushes for 80 yards in the Falcons' season opener
Duke Johnson - 7 rushes for 22 yards in the Browns' season opener
David Johnson - 0 rushes, 1 catch for 55 yards and a TD in the Cardinals' season opener
Matt Jones - 6 rushes for 28 yards in the Redskins' season opener

Charles Sims - Did not play until game 9 due to ankle injury.
Tre Mason - Did not play until game 5
Terrance West - 16 rushes for 100 yards in the Browns' season opener
Jerick McKinnon - 1 rush for 1 yard in the Vikings' season opener
Dri Archer - 1 rush for 4 yards in the Steelers' season opener

It would seem that it's not fairly common for 3rd round picks to start their rookie seasons inactive.  Of the above 17 examples, only 2 were inactive, and one of those due to injury. That leaves 1 out of 17 third round running backs from the last 5 years that did not play in his team's season opener barring injury.

1 hour ago, JujuFish said:

I'm bored on a Sunday evening, so here's the last 5 years of 3rd round RBs:

Royce Freeman - 15 carries for 71 yards in the Broncos' season opener

Alvin Kamara - 7 rushes for 18 yards, 4 receptions for 20 yards in the Saints' season opener
Kareem Hunt - 17 rushes for 148 yards and a TD, 5 receptions for 98 yards and 2 TDs in the Chiefs' season opener
D'Onta Foreman - 1 rush for 4 yards in the Texans' season opener
James Conner - 4 rushes for 11 yards in the Steelers' season opener

Kenyan Drake - 0 carries, on the field for 1 snap in the Dolphins' season opener
CJ Prosise - 1 rush for -2 yards, 1 reception for 13 yards in the Seahawks' season opener (coincidentally against the Dolphins)

Tevin Coleman - 20 rushes for 80 yards in the Falcons' season opener
Duke Johnson - 7 rushes for 22 yards in the Browns' season opener
David Johnson - 0 rushes, 1 catch for 55 yards and a TD in the Cardinals' season opener
Matt Jones - 6 rushes for 28 yards in the Redskins' season opener

Charles Sims - Did not play until game 9 due to ankle injury.
Tre Mason - Did not play until game 5
Terrance West - 16 rushes for 100 yards in the Browns' season opener
Jerick McKinnon - 1 rush for 1 yard in the Vikings' season opener
Dri Archer - 1 rush for 4 yards in the Steelers' season opener

It would seem that it's not fairly common for 3rd round picks to start their rookie seasons inactive.  Of the above 17 examples, only 2 were inactive, and one of those due to injury. That leaves 1 out of 17 third round running backs from the last 5 years that did not play in his team's season opener barring injury.

Touche! Sort of.... I was referring to third round picks in general. But for third round RB's, yes apparently they are normally expected to contribute right away. Nevertheless, I stand by my claim that McCoy will not be traded. I appreciate the research though!

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Touche! Sort of.... I was referring to third round picks in general. But for third round RB's, yes apparently they are normally expected to contribute right away. Nevertheless, I stand by my claim that McCoy will not be traded. I appreciate the research though!

https://theathletic.com/950943/2019/04/28/10-thoughts-on-cody-ford-and-the-rest-of-the-bills-day-2-and-day-3-picks-in-the-draft/

From the Athletic

What happens with LeSean McCoy and this backfield?

Before anyone could ask a question about LeSean McCoy in Beane and McDermott’s news conference after the Singletary pick, Beane made a point to step in and make an emphatic statement about the team’s current lead back.

“LeSean McCoy is still here,” Beane said. “Before you ask that question, he’s still the starter. We roll the ball out, there’s no questions about that. Devin (Singletary), just like we said about Cody (Ford) and Ed (Oliver), he’ll come in here and compete. Wherever he slots when we get ready to play games is where it’ll end up being.”

Beane and McDermott both insist upon every player needing to compete to earn a starting spot. They say it after every draft pick and constantly stress it during training camp with veterans and rookies alike. So why does the front office feel the need to publicly declare McCoy a starter in April? It felt as if Beane were speaking directly to McCoy, who didn’t take kindly to conceding reps to younger players toward the end of last season. He was also benched for showing up late for a team bus to a game and didn’t always live up to being a captain.

Now, after the worst season of his career, McCoy has more competition in the backfield as he gets set to turn 31. Singletary joins free-agent additions Frank Gore and T.J. Yeldon. At the very least, it appears McCoy’s days of being a featured back in this offense are over. We’ll see how he handles that.

He will be traded.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

When did they start listing a player's position as edge?  I feel like I haven't seen that listed as the official position on draft trackers before this year.

i’ve seen it over the last few years. all it means is they’re an OLB in a 3-4 or DE in a 4-3.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

When did they start listing a player's position as edge?  I feel like I haven't seen that listed as the official position on draft trackers before this year.

i know it. totally a thing now.

i also learned during this draft season that 3-4/4-3 is not really a relevant "player fit" distinction anymore -- not that you'd learn as much from listening to 3/4 of the pundits on TV.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It feels like BS corporate jargon especially since I see it capitalized for no good reason half the time. The older I get the less I like things. 

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

It feels like BS corporate jargon especially since I see it capitalized for no good reason half the time. The older I get the less I like things. 

Or they got tired of DE/OLB designations and realized the game has change and so should the language. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Or they got tired of DE/OLB designations and realized the game has change and so should the language. 

Its football and the more the nomenclature changes, the more that cycle of tactic changes repeat themselves.. interesting choice of new names,  my guess its more about marketing and not getting stale

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Its football and the more the nomenclature changes, the more that cycle of tactic changes repeat themselves.. interesting choice of new names,  my guess its more about marketing and not getting stale

Lol. Marketing? Marketing to who? What are they marketing? Do I need my credit card? What’s the ROI?

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

my assumption is “edge” comes from within scouting circles and came to the media through speaking with said scouts, seeing the way they rank players and also scouts who became members of the media.

Fo sho.

And to Ink’s point, there’s definitely some “kewl inside baseball jargon” going on here too.

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

But if the terminology evolves, why does the fullback name still exist? And why do they still have two o-line positions named after something those guys never do, while the other three positions are named very accurately?

because those positions haven’t evolved. the role of what is now called an edge rusher has evolved.

14 minutes ago, shrader said:

But if the terminology evolves, why does the fullback name still exist? And why do they still have two o-line positions named after something those guys never do, while the other three positions are named very accurately?

Sounds like a Gallagher skit.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

Thank you for pointing this out. Definitely have heard this more this year than any other, if at all. I think football people say it to sound smart.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Thank you for pointing this out. Definitely have heard this more this year than any other, if at all. I think football people say it to sound smart.

no. this really isn’t complicated. “edge” players are the only players whose position will change depending on the scheme they’re drafted into. OLB in 3-4, DE in a 4-3.

there are offensive lineman who might play a different position depending on how certain teams view them but they’re listed as whatever their most likely position is in the league because it’s not as simple as “this or that” in those cases.

Edited by Hoss

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

no. this really isn’t complicated. “edge” players are the only players whose position will change depending on the scheme they’re drafted into. OLB in 3-4, DE in a 4-3.

there are offensive lineman who might play a different position depending on how certain teams view them but they’re listed as whatever their most likely position is in the league because it’s not as simple as “this or that” in those cases.

I love when young people tell me how stuff works.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

i love when old people stopped learning several decades ago.

You didn’t tell me a single thing in your post that I didn’t already know. But that’s fine.

It doesn’t change the fact that we have heard the term “edge” more this year than ever before. It’s probably most likely due to the nature of the player we acquired, but you can’t discount the effect of the media latching onto something.