Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What other fans even know when a guys plane is landing and knows what they look like and then meets them at the airport.

Shopp has been even worse lately.

Yeah he took a genuine cool moment of fandom and turned it into a personal vendetta against Buffalonians being base. He should just move. 

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

What other fans even know when a guys plane is landing and knows what they look like and then meets them at the airport.

Funny thing is they actually met several new signings at the airport with wings.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Not as embarrassing as the situation is for Pittsburgh though.

I don’t think Pittsburgh has felt any embarrassment through the process. The stories franchise dodged those bullets somehow despite two supremely talented players forcing their way out. I think it’s been this way because people didn’t like Bell or Brown and the way they handled it. That and there were no sudden moments throughout it all. It was a long, drawn-out process.

15 hours ago, SDS said:

It should be noted that AJ McCarron was cut by the Raiders today for all of those that were apocalyptic when he was moved last season.

Sometimes a malaprop reveals a new and interesting meaning. I liked this one.

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Mike Schopp was really grating today (I know when isn't he).

He was stating they should have greeted Mitch with a steak. Dude. It's Buffalo. We do chicken wings. 

You think Philly doesn't do this with cheesesteak sandos?  Or Green Bay with cheese?  Or Chicago with deep dish pizza?  His high brow attitude is reaching the tipping point. 

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

13 hours ago, inkman said:

Yeah he took a genuine cool moment of fandom and turned it into a personal vendetta against Buffalonians being base. He should just move. 

God bless those wing-bearing dudes. Seriously. That's doing sports (life) right. Fun.

I don't know what's to be done about Schopp. He's a smart guy. He's also keenly aware that he's a smart guy. He cannot suffer fools, and there are many of them among any team's fan base. He seems burned out. The only time I hear him sound truly engaged is when he's talking about things other than sports. His radio partner, OTOH, remains steady and salt of the earth. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea -- but Bulldog is my sort of guy and reliably a good listen. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t care what it was. It’s an embarrassing situation for the team and the city no matter how much truth lies in the reports or the insults that followed.

People gotta stop taking it tat personally. Free agents don't sign here because the team is bad, and has historically been bad since joining the NFL except for like 8 years in the late 80's/early 90's. Green Bay is about the size of Utica, is close to exactly nothing, and way colder than us, but FA's sign there all the time, because they WIN. Not saying we don't have an additional disadvantage because of the climate and city size, but those can be over come.

Win games and have money and free agents will come.

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sometimes a malaprop reveals a new and interesting meaning. I liked this one.

God bless those wing-bearing dudes. Seriously. That's doing sports (life) right. Fun.

I don't know what's to be done about Schopp. He's a smart guy. He's also keenly aware that he's a smart guy. He cannot suffer fools, and there are many of them among any team's fan base. He seems burned out. The only time I hear him sound truly engaged is when he's talking about things other than sports. His radio partner, OTOH, remains steady and salt of the earth. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea -- but Bulldog is my sort of guy and reliably a good listen. 

I'd take it one step farther: he seems like he legitimately hates everything about his job. The callers, the teams (to be fair...who doesn't?), and the sports he has to talk about. He's a baseball and tennis guy in a city with a football and hockey team. And they're almost always bad! That'd wear on anyone in a similar situation. 

It's understandable, but not excusable. If I ran WGR, I wouldn't renew him. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, sabills said:

People gotta stop taking it tat personally. Free agents don't sign here because the team is bad, and has historically been bad since joining the NFL except for like 8 years in the late 80's/early 90's. Green Bay is about the size of Utica, is close to exactly nothing, and way colder than us, but FA's sign there all the time, because they WIN. Not saying we don't have an additional disadvantage because of the climate and city size, but those can be over come.

Win games and have money and free agents will come.

I do believe the losing culture is equal or more important in this team’s inability to secure good players as the city itself. But it’s still embarrassing to the city until the narrative changes. It may never.

Also, Green Bay is an hour and a half from Milwaukee.

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

There were "Good Luck St Nick" billboards up around here yesterday for Nick Foles. Let's not pretend Buffalo is the only place with passionate fans.

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I do believe the losing culture is equal or more important in this team’s inability to secure good players as the city itself. But it’s still embarrassing to the city until the narrative changes. It may never.

Like he said, close to exactly nothing.

?

6 minutes ago, MattPie said:

There were "Good Luck St Nick" billboards up around here yesterday for Nick Foles. Let's not pretend Buffalo is the only place with passionate fans.

Not sure that meeting a center at the airport is comparable to a sign for the QB. 

Edited by SwampD

33 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I didn't know it was that close to Milwaukee, but I still don't think thats a big selling point to a guy from Georgia or Virginia. I mean, I'D be stoked, but my job doesn't require me to not drink beer for every meal.

And I think the narrative changes when we start ignoring those shots. We're not Miami, we're not New York, we're not even Baltimore or Nashville, we probably never will be, and thats fine. We know its a cool town so whatever. I'm not going to get up in arms anytime someone who's never been north of the panhandle is like "hurr durr Buffalo sucks". All it does is reinforce those opinions.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Milwaukee >>>>> Buffalo

Maybe more like Milwaukee >> Buffalo.

And while this is a stupid argument anyway, I might as well win it.

Toronto is an hour and a half from Buffalo.

Imo, Buffalo has way more to offer, um, er, I mean,... other than winning.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Maybe more like Milwaukee >> Buffalo.

Toronto is an hour and a half from Buffalo.

Agreed on both of these points.

Milwaukee is, for sure, a less sleepy mid-western Great Lakes town than Buffalo is, but they're more alike than they are different.

And, yeah: Toronto. So, Green Bay has a decent city, by city standards, that's 90 minutes away. Buffalo has a city of international class and repute that's 90 minutes away.

18 hours ago, SDS said:

It should be noted that AJ McCarron was cut by the Raiders today for all of those that were apocalyptic when he was moved last season.

That had much more to do with the thought of having to watch Nathan Peterman line up under center for the team and it turns out that those fears were completely justified.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

And Toronto is an hour and a half from Buffalo.  And Milwaukee isn't really that amazing, nor is KC, Pittsburgh, etc.  Even Philly, large as it is, is boring AF.

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And Toronto is an hour and a half from Buffalo.  And Milwaukee isn't really that amazing, nor is KC, Pittsburgh, etc.  Even Philly, large as it is, is boring AF.

This is all subjective obviously but I absolutely adore Milwaukee. I also think Pittsburgh is a large leap better than Buffalo. I don’t know about KC and I despise Philly.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Just now, Hoss said:

This is all subjective obviously but I absolutely adore Milwaukee. I also think Pittsburgh is a large leap better than Buffalo. I don’t know about KC and I despise Philly.

Current KC resident.  DJ Pauley D (Jersey Shore) is playing a St Patricks day show here.  Its a cultural mecca.

https://www.facebook.com/events/287497265296366/

On a serious note, lower taxes, slightly better weather and central location (cheap flights, can be anywhere in the country in three hours) are positives for KC.

Food and nightlife are a wash

Buffalo runs away with fun natural attractions and beauty.  No hiking or skiing in KC.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Agreed on both of these points.

Milwaukee is, for sure, a less sleepy mid-western Great Lakes town than Buffalo is, but they're more alike than they are different.

And, yeah: Toronto. So, Green Bay has a decent city, by city standards, that's 90 minutes away. Buffalo has a city of international class and repute that's 90 minutes away.

What can you do in Toronto that you cant do in Buffalo? They dont have concerts in Buffalo?? Dont have festivals? Dont have a symphony orchestra?(ok ok i realize we are talking young pro atletes here),,Dont have great restaurants? Dont have a nightlife? Dont have the same crappy weather?

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Current KC resident.  DJ Pauley D (Jersey Shore) is playing a St Patricks day show here.  Its a cultural mecca.

https://www.facebook.com/events/287497265296366/

On a serious note, lower taxes, slightly better weather and central location (cheap flights, can be anywhere in the country in three hours) are positives for KC.

Food and nightlife are a wash

Buffalo runs away with fun natural attractions and beauty.  No hiking or skiing in KC.

You ever lived in the real midwest? I have. And while I love the people the summers are brutally humid and the winters brutally cold. I live in Cali now and am spoiled--But I think Buffalo summers are much better and the winters only slightly worse because of the lake effect snow.

7 minutes ago, calti said:

You ever lived in the real midwest? I have. And while I love the people the summers are brutally humid and the winters brutally cold. I live in Cali now and am spoiled--But I think Buffalo summers are much better and the winters only slightly worse because of the lake effect snow.

Not sure what you mean by the "real" midwest.  I will disagree on the winter's, every winter that I've lived here I've managed to sneak a few rounds of golf in. 

The summer does get too hot here, WNY has ideal summer conditions IMO but the trade off of shoveling my driveway 4 times a winter instead of 4 times a week is palatable.

44 minutes ago, calti said:

What can you do in Toronto that you cant do in Buffalo? They dont have concerts in Buffalo?? Dont have festivals? Dont have a symphony orchestra?(ok ok i realize we are talking young pro atletes here),,Dont have great restaurants? Dont have a nightlife? Dont have the same crappy weather?

I'm not here to debate that.

I know both towns quite well. The GTA is about 7 million people. Greater Buffalo's probably more like 1 million. They're just different places, with different vibes. As a city of its size and complexity, Toronto has more hustle and bustle (and money (and glamour)) than Buffalo. And if you're a young pro athlete who's looking for some bright lights, Toronto will do the trick. Buffalo won't.