Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

24 minutes ago, carpandean said:

There's some evidence that Nsekhe could be good:

(Posted in a WGR550 story)

This gives me some hope for what initially looked like an incredibly dumb signing but I also remember the number of Bills OL that have looked great when asked to come in to relieve injured players but then looked brutal when asked to do it full time. It’s an entirely different game when you’ve got to play every game and every down.

Beasley IMHO is good to very good at his role — ie small slot guy who gets open and has good hands.  It’s far from clear that Allen has the vision and accuracy to exploit Beasley though.  

Brown seems like a capable deep threat.  

There are promising reports on the center and the tackle.  

We’ll see.  McD and BB need to have a better summer than they did last year.  

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Beasley IMHO is good to very good at his role — ie small slot guy who gets open and has good hands.  It’s far from clear that Allen has the vision and accuracy to exploit Beasley though.  

Hopefully Beasley and Kroft will help the Bills Patriot the ***** out of the Patriots. 

I just don’t know where this idea that you should build a stable of WRs that are solid at best instead of having a couple solid guys and at least one elite target.

Who has had Super Bowl success without that? And don’t say Tom Brady who has had Gronk and Randy Moss and is the greatest to ever do it.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I just don’t know where this idea that you should build a stable of WRs that are solid at best instead of having a couple solid guys and at least one elite target.

Who has had Super Bowl success without that? And don’t say Tom Brady who has had Gronk and Randy Moss and is the greatest to ever do it.

Just wait until they draft DK METCALF. ?

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yea, I have no idea. Even the ones who can do it without an elite stud end up having their best seasons when they do have that elite weapon. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

I think the Bills are better, but the real question is are they better relative to the competition. I'd say probably not. After all, it isn't hard to improve on Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones while still being really bad. 

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

IDK, looking over the last handful of SB winners, even if you ignore the Pats, you've got Philly 2 years ago, Denver 2 before that, Seattle, and Baltimore. Who were the big WR names for any of them? Philly had Agholor, but he's no OBJ or AB. Denver was Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, Seattle had Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate, and Baltimore had Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith.

All those guys were good, but not, like, GREAT, right? Or am I not remembering them correctly. At the very least they weren't great for a looong time like the other big name guys are. I don't think any are HOFers.

Not saying the Bills are set there, they definitely need some more help through the draft, but WR isn't the place I'd tie up a TON of money.

Edited by sabills

4 minutes ago, sabills said:

IDK, looking over the last handful of SB winners, even if you ignore the Pats, you've got Philly 2 years ago, Denver 2 before that, Seattle, and Baltimore. Who were the big WR names for any of them? Philly had Agholor, but he's no OBJ or AB. Denver was Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, Seattle had Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate, and Baltimore had Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith.

All those guys were good, but not, like, GREAT, right? Or am I not remembering them correctly. At the very least they weren't great for a looong time like the other big name guys are. I don't think any are HOFers.

Not saying the Bills are set there, they definitely need some more help through the draft, but WR isn't the place I'd tie up a TON of money.

Those Denver and Seattle duos were absolutely great. At the time, Thomas was a top-5 WR and Sanders probably top-15. Both Baldwin and Tate are Sanders-level. 

We currently don't have one guy in that class, let alone two. John Brown is our best WR! That's pretty terrible. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

40 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Those Denver and Seattle duos were absolutely great. At the time, Thomas was a top-5 WR and Sanders probably top-15. Both Baldwin and Tate are Sanders-level. 

We currently don't have one guy in that class, let alone two. John Brown is our best WR! That's pretty terrible. 

Oh yeah, like I said they're not set there. I just don't necessarily think you need a clear #1 to be successful in this league. But if you don't have a #1 you need like 3 #2s, and I'm not sure the Bills have any of those.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sabills said:

Alshon Jeffrey played like a superstar for Philly in those playoffs and is exponentially better than what we have. Denver has already been hashed out by TrueBlue above - they had great WRs and Peyton Manning. Anquan Boldin is a Hall of Famer (or at least borderline).

I’m not saying they need a Hall of Famer but they’ve still got ZERO go-to targets for Josh Allen.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Alshon Jeffrey played like a superstar for Philly in those playoffs and is exponentially better than what we have. Denver has already been hashed out by TrueBlue above - they had great WRs and Peyton Manning. Anquan Boldin is a Hall of Famer (or at least borderline).

I’m not saying they need a Hall of Famer but they’ve still got ZERO go-to targets for Josh Allen.

Yeah, no I agree that what they have isn't good enough. I just don't think I want to tie up too much money in a top WR. The price difference between a 1A WR and a couple of #2 WRs is pretty negligable, and usually amounts to the same thing.

AB is counting as 8% of the Raiders cap. OBJ is worth 9% to the Browns.

Jeffery was 6.5 when they won the SB. Doug Baldwin was only .5%!! overthecap is being SUPER slow right now so I can't track down the rest, but I'd be interested to see what percentage of the cap has been assigned to their WR group over the last 10 years for each winner.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2019-nfl-free-agency-day-2-john-dorsey-browns-win-big-while-giants-are-biggest-losers-by-trading-odell-beckham/

CBS likes what the Bills have done

Weapons for Allen in Kroft (overpriced) Brown and Beasley.

OL depth (Nsekhe and Feliciano) and a young but expensive C in Morse to improve Allen’s protection.

RB depth in  Frank Gore (really?)

plus a good CB in Johnson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Once Chris Ivory is cut I’m not sure how you criticize the Gore signing. We get a better backup running back that can teach any potential rookie we add along with motivating Shady (he and Gore are close) for legit negative money.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Once Chris Ivory is cut I’m not sure how you criticize the Gore signing. We get a better backup running back that can teach any potential rookie we add along with motivating Shady (he and Gore are close) for legit negative money.

Absolutely.  He's a great locker room guy and will be an excellent mentor for Ollison.