Buffalo Bills 2019-2020

WildCard

46 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is it tampering if both teams are (or, well, were) actively working on a deal? 

If Pittsburgh never allowed them to talk to him, I’d say it could be. They’re signaling to a guy under contract with another team that they’re interested in him. Now I’m not naive enough to think that’s not happening all the time behind the scenes, but there’s no shroud of mystery with this one. 

In this case, Pittsburgh doesn’t care since they’re trying to move him anyway. You really don’t see the teams acknowledge things like this publicly like the Bills did. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

So Beane actually acknowledged all of it and mentioned Brown by name? Teams don’t usually do that since it inches into tampering territory. 

I think it's okay if they're talking about a trade as opposed to prematurely leaking about a free agent signing.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Most interesting theory I've seen yet:

John MiddlekauffVerified account @JohnMiddlekauff
FollowFollow @JohnMiddlekauff
More

Easiest way for a GM to sniff a rat. Plant a couple pieces a cheese, it’ll poke its head. Wonder if the bills are doing a little spring cleaning

Right before free agency when there are already deals to be made and free agents to be signed? Not a shot. Antonio Brown just played the Bills is all.

This is why it’s hard to build winners here. It’s rare for rich and talented people to want to be in Buffalo. It’s easy to argue that it’s the worst of the 32 cities. A lot of guys that want to come here don’t do it for the right reasons thus hindering the winning process more.

4 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm beyond shocked McBeane chased Brown. This might be the most encouraged I've been since their hire. 

It’s encouraging that he pursued. It’s discouraging that he’s not confident enough in himself or his staff to make the deal anyways.

Edited by Hoss

14 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think it's okay if they're talking about a trade as opposed to prematurely leaking about a free agent signing.

The policy specifically mentions not being allowed to make public statement of interest in a player currently under contract. Maybe the statement had enough legalese in it to not count as interest, but I’m just surprised they’d put it on record like that and even have the slightest hint of tampering out there. You typically see that type of think reported out there through “sources”.

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Right before free agency when there are already deals to be made and free agents to be signed? Not a shot. Antonio Brown just played the Bills is all.

This is why it’s hard to build winners here. It’s rare for rich and talented people to want to be in Buffalo. It’s easy to argue that it’s the worst of the 32 cities. A lot of guys that want to come here don’t do it for the right reasons thus hindering the winning process more.

It’s encouraged that he pursued. It’s discouraging that he’s not confident enough in himself or his staff to make the deal anyways.

1.  I think the writer's point was that Beane may have made a leak just to see who the leakers in his organization are.  I think it's interesting, but not necessarily correct.

2.  There are only 30 cities, and the Green Bay lifestyle is somehow a lot better than the Buffalo lifestyle?  (Or Detroit, KC, etc., etc.?)  Players want go to places where they can win.  Not for the culture.

3.  Depending on what the deal was, I might be very happy that it fell through.  He's 31 years old and disruptive.  Not really what the team needs right now.  And this isn't sour grapes.  If it were Smith-Shuster, I'd be more interested.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

The policy specifically mentions not being allowed to make public statement of interest in a player currently under contract. Maybe the statement had enough legalese in it to not count as interest, but I’m just surprised they’d put it on record like that and even have the slightest hint of tampering out there. You typically see that type of think reported out there through “sources”.

Didn't know that.  Interesting.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  I think the writer's point was that Beane may have made a leak just to see who the leakers in his organization are.  I think it's interesting, but not necessarily correct.

2.  There are only 30 cities, and the Green Bay lifestyle is somehow a lot better than the Buffalo lifestyle?  (Or Detroit, KC, etc., etc.?)  Players want go to places where they can win.  Not for the culture.

3.  Depending on what the deal was, I might be very happy that it fell through.  He's 31 years old and disruptive.  Not really what the team needs right now.  And this isn't sour grapes.  If it were Smith-Shuster, I'd be more interested.

On 1: fair. I always think that type of organizational strategy is interesting

2: KC is absolutely preferable to Buffalo. Green Bay probably not but it’s close to Milwaukee which is superior. Still low on the list. Detroit is debatable. Cleveland is debatable. There are certainly different ways of thinking so not everyone’s preference will be the same but I don’t imagine many have Buffalo anywhere above like 25 on their list. It’s an issue no matter how much our love for Buffalo wishes to believe otherwise.

3: this is a fair assessment. I believe both Buffalo franchises need an infusement of talent regardless of how they get it but it’s fair to think AB might not have been ideal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Not sure if tampering if they are working on a trade and trying to know if player is willing to come to Buffalo.  Just think that is different then trying to sign a player about to be a FA

They have to be given permission to talk to the player, but that's not what I'm talking about.  It's strictly about the public statement that they tried to trade for someone.  I don't remember seeing that type of comment on the record while right in the heat of the battle so to say.  But yes, tampering does extend well beyond just pending free agents.  We've got two fairly high profile stories about within the last couple weeks in both the NBA and MLB, granted they are different sports and different rules most likely apply.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

2: KC is absolutely preferable to Buffalo. Green Bay probably not but it’s close to Milwaukee which is superior. Still low on the list. Detroit is debatable. Cleveland is debatable. There are certainly different ways of thinking so not everyone’s preference will be the same but I don’t imagine many have Buffalo anywhere above like 25 on their list. It’s an issue no matter how much our love for Buffalo wishes to believe otherwise.

The whole thing is highly subjective, but I do wonder how many more guys like Mario Williams are out there who are drawn by the outdoorsy stuff like he was.  I don't know the exact demographics for the league, but they definitely draw a ton from the so called flyover portion of the country.  I know it's completely anecdotal, but as someone who grew up rural then found himself in a bigger city, I'd much rather stick with the smaller area.  I'd suspect that there's a lot more of that out there and we can draw hope from already landing one marquee free agent in that manner.

31 minutes ago, shrader said:

They have to be given permission to talk to the player, but that's not what I'm talking about.  It's strictly about the public statement that they tried to trade for someone.  I don't remember seeing that type of comment on the record while right in the heat of the battle so to say.  But yes, tampering does extend well beyond just pending free agents.  We've got two fairly high profile stories about within the last couple weeks in both the NBA and MLB, granted they are different sports and different rules most likely apply.

The whole thing is highly subjective, but I do wonder how many more guys like Mario Williams are out there who are drawn by the outdoorsy stuff like he was.  I don't know the exact demographics for the league, but they definitely draw a ton from the so called flyover portion of the country.  I know it's completely anecdotal, but as someone who grew up rural then found himself in a bigger city, I'd much rather stick with the smaller area.  I'd suspect that there's a lot more of that out there and we can draw hope from already landing one marquee free agent in that manner.

I definitely think there are. I also don't think the geographic location is all that prohibitive for football as most guys don't live where they play anyway, and football is a shorter season than the other major sports. That's not to say some players wouldn't prefer a bigger city, I just think we probably overestimate how many that number is. The bigger problem, I think, is the team has stunk for almost literally the entire life of most players. 

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Stu said:

Frank Gore to the bills 1 yr 2 MM

Further indication the Bills have no idea what they are doing.  They have the leagues oldest backfield and just made it significantly older. At a position everyone is looking for youth and speed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1