Sheary - Why are so many eager to trade him?

GASabresIUFAN

Sheary has 24 pts ytd.  In 2019 Conner has stepped up.  Despite our mediocre 6-7-1 record, Sheary has 2g 8a and a +6.  Even in the 8 losses Sheary has a a Zero +/-.

I'd like him to shot more, but overall his game has been overall pretty decent.  Vogl compared him (and others) to see if we are getting our monies worth from him by looking not only at his performance but the performance of others in his salary range.  His conclusion is that we are getting our monies worth from him.

I use a simpler gauge.  Sheary has 24 pts ytd in 50 games.  That puts him on a 37 to 38 pt pace with 28 games remaining.  We are only paying him $3 mill per season.  I use $100K per point as a reference for value of a forward.  Anything under 100K per point is indicative of a value contract.  Right now Sheary is at $81K per point.  The guy is only 26 and has another  year left on his deal.

After looking at the numbers, why do so many here want him to be traded at the deadline?

For me, it's the same reason I targeted Samson for trading: lack of consistency. He also doesn't play a "heavy" game which, IMHO, this team sorely needs.  As you note in the OP, he has value, so we'd get something back for him.

In a perfect world, I'd trade the Sobotkas, Okposos, and Scandellas of the team long before I'd trade Sheary.  But...

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sheary has 24 pts ytd.  In 2019 Conner has stepped up.  Despite our mediocre 6-7-1 record, Sheary has 2g 8a and a +6.  Even in the 8 losses Sheary has a a Zero +/-.

I'd like him to shot more, but overall his game has been overall pretty decent.  Vogl compared him (and others) to see if we are getting our monies worth from him by looking not only at his performance but the performance of others in his salary range.  His conclusion is that we are getting our monies worth from him.

I use a simpler gauge.  Sheary has 24 pts ytd in 50 games.  That puts him on a 37 to 38 pt pace with 28 games remaining.  We are only paying him $3 mill per season.  I use $100K per point as a reference for value of a forward.  Anything under 100K per point is indicative of a value contract.  Right now Sheary is at $81K per point.  The guy is only 26 and has another  year left on his deal.

After looking at the numbers, why do so many here want him to be traded at the deadline?

Early in the season I think he was missing a lot of opportunities and when he wasn’t, he was largely invisible. I think, myself included, a lot of people expected far more goals for him given his track record of producing with quality centers, but obviously Eichel isn’t Crosby and those goals haven’t happened. He also had a miserable goalless drought. 

However, I agree his play has been much better as of late and I’ve got no issues keeping him around if he keeps his production up. Nice job starting a thread too. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

For me, it's the same reason I targeted Samson for trading: lack of consistency. He also doesn't play a "heavy" game which, IMHO, this team sorely needs.  As you note in the OP, he has value, so we'd get something back for him.

In a perfect world, I'd trade the Sobotkas, Okposos, and Scandellas of the team long before I'd trade Sheary.  But...

Agreed. But I’d like to see that play come from SOBs and Okposo before moving Sheary for a physical player. 

Talented players can be less productive and viewed as trade options if they haven't been placed in optimal (for them) situations, i.e. utilized with players that best mesh with them.  Also, early on Sheary was gaining familiarity with a new organization, new city, and new group of teammates.  The fact that he's been producing better of late should put trade discussion on hold, despite the approaching trade deadline.  We have larger concerns right now, including improving defensive schemes and overall coaching considerations.

2 hours ago, ... said:

I'm sorry but what? Reinhart might be the most consistent forward on the team. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, ... said:

I struggle to think of any Sabre more consistent than Samson, certainly in raw performance, but even relative to expectations.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I see LGR beat me to this, but seriously, who has been more consistent, including defencemen and goalies?

Skinner maybe? Not Eichel, not Ullmark, not Rodrigues, not McCabe...and those are some of our more consistent players.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I struggle to think of any Sabre more consistent than Samson, certainly in raw performance, but even relative to expectations.

"Targeted" was past tense, surely both of you caught that.  I've been off the trade Samson wagon for a little bit.

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/10/2019 at 6:33 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yet I dont' like him, everytime I watch him play he is a bit like Okposo, the puck goes and dies with him in the offensive zone.   Gets pushed around like a ragdoll and falls over all the time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.