GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres. 10 February 2019 @ 3:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

On 2/12/2019 at 12:20 PM, Weave said:

I’ve been calling out for mentors for Jack and Sam for 3 years now.  I guess it took the current state for the idea to get some traction.

Not saying that you were wrong, but focusing on getting mentors for Jack and Sam was akin to complaining about the comfort of the deck chairs on the Titanic, we as a group were more focused with fixing the holes in the sinking boat first. Now that our proverbial SS Sabres seems to be chugging along towards the playoff cusp, we can start considering some less crucial improvements.

7 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Not saying that you were wrong, but focusing on getting mentors for Jack and Sam was akin to complaining about the comfort of the deck chairs on the Titanic, we as a group were more focused with fixing the holes in the sinking boat first. Now that our proverbial SS Sabres seems to be chugging along towards the playoff cusp, we can start considering some less crucial improvements.

I’d argue that mentors were the most crucial of improvements.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Well, Murray and Botterill did try.

It's just that Gionta, Moulson, Gorges, Okposo, Berglund and Sobotka have largely sucked.

No argument there.

Except Gionta.  I though the was a good choice that Jack and Sam just weren't interested in listening to.

IMO the big problem was that they sprinkled in just a couple of mentors amongst a very poor team.  I wanted to see the Sabres do to Eichel what Pittsburgh did to Crosby, fill out the team with a bunch of playoff proven vets, not just a couple.  Eichel was more than willing to brush of Gionta.  He would have been much less likely to brush off Gonchar, Recchi, Leclair, Mario, Palffy, and Malone.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

No argument there.

Except Gionta.  I though the was a good choice that Jack and Sam just weren't interested in listening to.

IMO the big problem was that they sprinkled in just a couple of mentors amongst a very poor team.  I wanted to see the Sabres do to Eichel what Pittsburgh did to Crosby, fill out the team with a bunch of playoff proven vets, not just a couple.  Eichel was more than willing to brush of Gionta.  He would have been much less likely to brush off Gonchar, Recchi, Leclair, Mario, Palffy, and Malone.

I'm sitting here thinking that this is logically true.

But we have been through multiple winning vets and Jack is still Jack.

Mario was also the owner at the time and was playing ? He alone could change any player in that type of environment. I'm not sure any combination of the rest would/will have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.