GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres. 10 February 2019 @ 3:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think Jack needs a mentor even though he’s the Captain. Someone to guide him on leading other men in what they will go through in the next few years. There has to be a team out there trying to get younger who would part ways with say a middle six guy. Preferably someone who can play on his wing. Maybe Pommers was supposed to be that guy. 

I think that's about right. As for Pominville, he just doesn't have enough wear on the tread to play on Eichel's wing night in and night out. I'm also not sure that, even 4 or 5 years ago, he'd have been the sort of guy to fulfill that role. 

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I think that's about right. As for Pominville, he just doesn't have enough wear on the tread to play on Eichel's wing night in and night out. I'm also not sure that, even 4 or 5 years ago, he'd have been the sort of guy to fulfill that role. 

Totally agree. I picture said veteran having multiple playoff runs and all kinds of stories to share with Jack. Sitting next to him in the locker room, talking between shifts. I want a Lemieux/Crosby relationship but I feel like Jack will end up having to learn those lessons on his own.

15 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Totally agree. I picture said veteran having multiple playoff runs and all kinds of stories to share with Jack. Sitting next to him in the locker room, talking between shifts. I want a Lemieux/Crosby relationship but I feel like Jack will end up having to learn those lessons on his own.

I feel like it's cliche', but they'd be looking for that Doug Gilmour type. A guy who was really, really good in his prime and is a natural leader, and can still do some things on a great young player's wing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

I feel like it's cliche', but they'd be looking for that Doug Gilmour type. A guy who was really, really good in his prime and is a natural leader, and can still do some things on a great young player's wing.

Patrick Marleau has been exactly that guy for Toronto.

21 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I think he was 32 and had already played for over ten years. I think he just found new life with Chicago.

Holy smokes. Dude was 31 when he was first with CHI. Thanks for the 411.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

It's Smyth.

Ah, right. Rian Smyth. My bad.

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ve been calling out for mentors for Jack and Sam for 3 years now.  I guess it took the current state for the idea to get some traction.

As I've said previously:  a SabreSpace council of elders would have done a much better job GM'ing the team over the last decade or so than the actual GMs did.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I’ve been calling out for mentors for Jack and Sam for 3 years now.  I guess it took the current state for the idea to get some traction.

So Berglund was a bad choice?  I mean, ever since he quit....  ?

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

As I've said previously:  a SabreSpace council of elders would have done a much better job GM'ing the team over the last decade or so than the actual GMs did.

SabreSpace Council of Elders Agenda

4:45 a.m. Conference call

3 p.m. Committee meetings

4:15 Dinner

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

What about someone like Eric Staal? 

Even this year he's got a 55-17-20-37 stat line. He fulfills the "really good in prime" requirement as has been known for leadership qualities. He's a centre, but I could see him on Jack's wing potentially, too. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

9 a.m. – 2:59 p.m. It's always a good time for Jello. Also, the conference room will have a big bowl of loose hard candies. Werthers, Butterscotches, those spicy cinnamon ones for the daring.

Ribbon candy or I ain't playin'.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/10/2019 at 11:23 PM, Marchand'sNose said:

I stopped watching over a week ago once it became obvious. I check in periodically to read what's happening and I'll occasionally watch highlights on nhl.com. But I'm trying to wean myself off from all things Buffalo Sabres. To me, the franchise is quite clearly going nowhere in the direction that leads to an eventual Stanley Cup. Not with the current cast of people in leadership positions on and off the ice. But a lot of people here still think this team is going places. So Godspeed I guess... I'm curious to check in here next year around this time when the Sabres don't make the playoffs for the 9th straight year. I'm sure more people will agree with my opinion by that point, but I'm equally sure we'll see more of the same excuses: still too young, still learning how to win, unlucky bounces, still need more talent, still need to win more lottery picks, etc... I've seem them all this season, with the exception of the commonly used injury excuse.

Ok bye.  See you next year. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

9 a.m. – 2:59 p.m. It's always a good time for Jello. Also, the conference room will have a big bowl of loose hard candies. Werthers, Butterscotches, those spicy cinnamon ones for the daring.

I thought you took out your teeth and sucked a taffy. No?

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.