GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ Buffalo Sabres. 10 February 2019 @ 3:00 PM EST

SABRES 0311

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

So say he didn't play well. The idea that he doesn't know how to play with teammates is objectively false, as Skinner is having a career year stapled to his hip, he can turn the corpse of Pominville into an occasionally useful player, and for years players of varying ability all perform better when skating with him. But yea, he can't play with others. 

Yup. He's the anti-Laine. Jack has 41 assists and gets his linemates the puck. Guys that play with him score goals. Laine stands around and waits for his linemates to get him the puck. THAT's a guy that's difficult to play with.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So say he didn't play well. The idea that he doesn't know how to play with teammates is objectively false, as Skinner is having a career year stapled to his hip, he can turn the corpse of Pominville into an occasionally useful player, and for years players of varying ability all perform better when skating with him. But yea, he can't play with others. 

What you have stated here is a testament to just how skilled he is. They have achieved that in spite of his hockey IQ.

He is eminently skilled, but we watch him make dumb decision after even dumber ones. He was terrible today. If he had one quarter of Samson's hockey sense, we're in first place. 

Its sooooo frustrating.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

The blue print to build the team needs to be torn up.  You still need size and grit in the NHL.  A small and soft team like the Sabres wear down.  Jets used a subtle pick to lead to the go ahead goal.  Sabres do not have guys like that.  Used SIZE and speed to win against the Sabres. 

1 hour ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Sadly Darcy Regier put together some contenders with no budget and unstable ownership, those look like glory days now compared to these endless soft teams we’ve been watching since.  

I know, winnng trades, and all ...  but I have great respect for Darcy’s accomplishments.  He dressed Nordstrom on a JC Penny* budget.

* with a nod to JC Penny before anyone’s elitist alarm sounds.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What you have stated here is a testament to just how skilled he is. They have achieved that in spite of his hockey IQ.

He is eminently skilled, but we watch him make dumb decision after even dumber ones. He was terrible today. If he had one quarter of Samson's hockey sense, we're in first place. 

Its sooooo frustrating.

Hey man, Ovechkin won 6 Rocket Richard trophies before last season.  This proves the stats can catch up to the eye test.

5544865227346450_9a4b2649badc55ece2ab2a3

11 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

The blue print to build the team needs to be torn up.  You still need size and grit in the NHL.  A small and soft team like the Sabres wear down.  Jets used a subtle pick to lead to the go ahead goal.  Sabres do not have guys like that.  Used SIZE and speed to win against the Sabres. 

You knew it was coming... in a close game like that eventually the Sabres were the first to likely wear down and gaffe... and they did 

37 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup. He's the anti-Laine. Jack has 41 assists and gets his linemates the puck. Guys that play with him score goals. Laine stands around and waits for his linemates to get him the puck. THAT's a guy that's difficult to play with.

and easy to play against...lots of Jets fans are calling for him to be sent down a line or two once Ehlers is back.

I mean, he still has 27? goals but he had 25 at the beginning of December I think! I am guessing he has never had a slump, especially this big of one, in his career. Don't forget, he started out as a goalie. Maurice spoke about it in a media scrum this past week and said he has to work himself out of it and this is a player developing. Later on in his career he will be able to remember about this slump and draw from it.

This is not a player you give up on. It is easy to get angry at him but you have to remember he is 20 years old. Not many players have scored 105 goals by that age. His November was unbelievable. If I'm not mistaken, he won player of the month. His confidence is shot and he has been taken off of the 1PP. Not sure what will happen but he has to figure it out. The post-season isn't that far off and we need him. Oh yeah, there's the little matter of him being on the last year of his ELC. I heard a rumor that he is asking for 8 x 10.5 and Chevy offered 3 x 6m. I hate both offers. I'd give him a one year 6m or no more than 8 x 8.25. That's exactly how much Wheeler makes a year...is he better than Wheeler? Does he drive a line? Scheif makes 6.125m a year...is he better than Scheif? If he wants 10.5m a year, he'd better bring a better compete level and up his game. I didn't see him much in the third...didn't miss  him. Scheif, Wheeler and KC didn't have a strong game but they upped their compete in the third period. Laine needs to learn  how to do that. Also, if you are a scorer and aren't scoring, you'd better bring something else to the party and that doesn't include losing 95% of the puck battles. End of rant.

Edited by Ducky

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

and easy to play against...lots of Jets fans are calling for him to be sent down a line or two once Ehlers is back.

I mean, he still has 27? goals but he had 25 at the beginning of December I think! I am guessing he has never had a slump, especially this big of one, in his career. Don't forget, he started out as a goalie. Maurice spoke about it in a media scrum this past week and said he has to work himself out of it and this is a player developing. Later on in his career he will be able to remember about this slump and draw from it.

This is not a player you give up on. It is easy to get angry at him but you have to remember he is 20 years old. Not many players have scored 105 goals by that age. His November was unbelievable. If I'm not mistaken, he won player of the month. His confidence is shot and he has been taken off of the 1PP. Not sure what will happen but he has to figure it out. The post-season isn't that far off and we need him. Oh yeah, there's the little matter of him being on the last year of his ELC. I heard a rumor that he is asking for 8 x 10.5 and Chevy offered 3 x 6m. I hate both offers. I'd give him a one year 6m or no more than 8 x 8.25. That's exactly how much Wheeler makes a year...is he better than Wheeler? Does he drive a line? Scheif makes 6.125m a year...is he better than Scheif? If he wants 10.5m a year, he'd better bring a better compete level and up his game. I didn't see him much in the third...didn't miss  him. Scheif, Wheeler and KC didn't have a strong game but they upped their compete in the third period. Laine needs to learn  how to do that. Also, if you are a scorer and aren't scoring, you'd better bring something else to the party and that doesn't include losing 95% of the puck battles. End of rant.

The only thing I'd say here is that unfortunately for the Jets Scheifele's contract will probably be seen as an unfair comparable for their star players coming up for new deals. Fortunate for the Jets they have him for what is a massive steal, but I can't see it limiting what the other guys make, salaries have just gone up too much and his deal is too much an outlier. Wheeler's though will help a little in that regard, definitely.

To the bolded, the thing about Laine is, while he certainly needs to learn to drive play a bit on his own, or develop some semblance of a balanced game, him being a guy who ONLY scores goals is totally workable on a team with as much talent as the Jets. As good as those other components would be, they aren't even necessary if he scores 50 goals a year. Or even 40, if half aren't in a single month. They have the luxury of being able to greatly utilize and benefit from a player like that, rather than say if he was being counted on to be a team's best player and lead driver of offence. 

His contract is another matter but it's in such a state of flux right now I'd imagine. 

He just needs to start scoring goals again

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I understand the frustration but that was a desparate team and they clearly have more talent and experience than the Sabres.  

We we had at least five great rushes in the 3rd to score and take the lead.  Hellenbeck (sp?) made saves he didn’t know he made, he let giant rebounds out.   We just could not convert, despite getting the better of the play   

The Jets used there size and interfered all game.  They never missed a chance to blast someone.  Look at the Jets, the Caps, and even the Bolts.  You can tell we need more talent with size and grit.  

One bad shift, one breakdown,  they had chances to clear, it was not all Eichel  

I just don’t get you guys quitting before the game is over.  I don’t get all the negative comments.   Blaming Eichel for the last goal.  There was a lot of blame to go around.   They need to learn and move on.  

We are not at the Jets level, but we still have a shot at 8th.  

I love it. People make all kinds of excuses for this pathetic ***** franchise's continued losing ways, but this one is my favorite. Why aren't the Sabres at least equally desperate at the moment?!

This team is so obviously not making the playoffs this season, so if that's the main reason why anyone here still bothers to watch, then you are in for a world of hurt and disappointment ahead.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The only thing I'd say here is that unfortunately for the Jets Scheifele's contract will probably be seen as an unfair comparable for their star players coming up for new deals. Fortunate for the Jets they have him for what is a massive steal, but I can't see it limiting what the other guys make, salaries have just gone up too much and his deal is too much an outlier. Wheeler's though will help a little in that regard, definitely.

To the bolded, the thing about Laine is, while he certainly needs to learn to drive play a bit on his own, or develop some semblance of a balanced game, him being a guy who ONLY scores goals is totally workable on a team with as much talent as the Jets. As good as those other components would be, they aren't even necessary if he scores 50 goals a year. Or even 40, if half aren't in a single month. They have the luxury of being able to greatly utilize and benefit from a player like that, rather than say if he was being counted on to be a team's best player and lead driver of offence. 

His contract is another matter but it's in such a state of flux right now I'd imagine. 

He just needs to start scoring goals again

I agree with most of this but remember, Scheif got market value at the time the contract was signed. MacKinnon signed shortly after and got 6.3m per year. Both deals look like steals today.

• Like (+1) 1

Years of bad hockey have led to way too much instant negativity on this board. The Sabres played well and for the most part outplayed a team that many consider a possible cup finalist. If we had a decent power play we would have blown them out of the rink so the sky is far from falling. Once Mittlestadt and Dahlin fully mature we will have that. It won't be that far away. The blueprint is just fine.

Fun and exciting to watch for now, a playoff team next season and a true cup contender in another year after that. 

So much better than last year..........and the year before that.............and.........

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Indabuff said:

Didn't get to watch the game.  I get that the team is generally trending in the right direction but just wondering what everyone's take on playoff chances are.  Jim Mora gifs aren't necessary but I'd still probably laugh at them.  

I'd say that the odds are better (slightly) than 50/50.

They played well today, but they are still kids and learning.  Including learning how to play desperate hockey.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I love it. People make all kinds of excuses for this pathetic ***** franchise's continued losing ways, but this one is my favorite. Why aren't the Sabres at least equally desperate at the moment?!

This team is so obviously not making the playoffs this season, so if that's the main reason why anyone here still bothers to watch, then you are in for a world of hurt and disappointment ahead.

No excuse.  Both teams played desperate and hard, It was a great game, very enjoyable.  Sucks that we lost but time to move on to the next game  

And if your so sure they are not making the playoff you should stop watching then?  Unless you like being disappointed.  

3 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

I don’t think that pick was planned.  The Jets did that all game, it must be part of how they play.  The biggest problem on that goal was Dahlin leaving his position.   

First period  - we flipped the puck into the air out of our zone and Myers, while standing on the blue line, interfered with a Sabre winger to prevent a breakaway rush.   I noticed it then and the ref let it go.  They let Interference (used to be call obstruction) all game.   The Jets pretty much interfered with us all game, on just about every zone entry.  Yet, we still outplayed them for large portions of the game.   We had plenty of power play chances and did not convert.  Had we just been average on the pp we would have won. 

All that aside, we do need to add some size and toughness, especially at forward.  Need some heavy bodies that don’t get swatted away.  

They ran Dahlin and Pilut.   Buffylynn tossed Sheary around like a rag doll on one shift.  Reinhart got pounded several times.  But the Sabres did not back down.  We only have two players that can or will enforce, Bogo and Beaulieu, and nether played.  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I thought the Sabres played a good hard game today and I can't be too upset with the loss. I wish they'd play that way every game. 

It was one of their better games of the season. The Jets are intense and great. Our boys made a game of it, all is not lost. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

No excuse.  Both teams played desperate and hard, It was a great game, very enjoyable.  Sucks that we lost but time to move on to the next game  

And if your so sure they are not making the playoff you should stop watching then?  Unless you like being disappointed.  

I stopped watching over a week ago once it became obvious. I check in periodically to read what's happening and I'll occasionally watch highlights on nhl.com. But I'm trying to wean myself off from all things Buffalo Sabres. To me, the franchise is quite clearly going nowhere in the direction that leads to an eventual Stanley Cup. Not with the current cast of people in leadership positions on and off the ice. But a lot of people here still think this team is going places. So Godspeed I guess... I'm curious to check in here next year around this time when the Sabres don't make the playoffs for the 9th straight year. I'm sure more people will agree with my opinion by that point, but I'm equally sure we'll see more of the same excuses: still too young, still learning how to win, unlucky bounces, still need more talent, still need to win more lottery picks, etc... I've seem them all this season, with the exception of the commonly used injury excuse.

• SDS unpinned this topic
5 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

I agree.  You don't want size at all costs and at the expensive of things like speed, but size/strength is huge, especially in the playoffs.

It's worth remembering that NHL playoff hockey is absolutely nothing like regular season hockey.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.