GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Buffalo Sabres, 1:08 p.m., February 9, 2019

PASabreFan

13 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Sometimes a team can be a reflection of their coach.  We all know how HCPH played as a player and I think our team reflects his soft play and defensive liabilities.  Compare that to the last game with the Canes (Rob B. HC), who played a complete 200ft game with tenacity...The Canes reflected his style as a player.

I’m going to probably be unpopular in this comment but I do not think PH was a soft player.  He came in the league at 18.  A boy out of USA high school at a time when that was unheard of, in a league were fighting was routine, equipment was mediocre, and hitting was stressed.  

I saw him play live in the Aud a lot.  He was not a hitter but he was not soft.  You cannot be soft and put up the numbers he did. You cannot be soft and play 16 years or whatever he played.  You cannot be soft and earn a place in the HOF.    Look at his penalty totals.  

Jacques Lemaire was a great player, a winger, mostly a goal scorer, usually had less than 20 PIM per season.  Never hit much or fought, but he played hard and used his skill.   He was an offensive player and played on the LaFluer line in his prime.  His Devils teams were tough and disciplined.  They didn’t score much, they played defense first.    His teams played different than he did.  

So my point is that Phil does not teach them to be soft because he was soft   To think that is ridiculous.   The Sabres are one of many soft teams in the NHL, but saying it’s because PH played soft is crazy.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.