GDT: Detroit Red Wings at Buffalo Sabres, 1:08 p.m., February 9, 2019

PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes. We need two scoring lines and although the top line is a little less for now with Pommers, Mittlestadt is a lot better with Sam. makes us harder to defend and spreads things around a bit. I've said it before, we are only a couple wingers away from being a good hockey team. Imagine how good we would be right now if Nylander was actually any good and maybe Bailey or someone else had been better. 

We will likely not make the playoffs this year but we are much closer than we were this time last year. 

Next time they rotate wingers, I wouldn't mind seeing Tage in place of Pommer.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't hate the game today, that 1st was terribly boring, almost NJD trap level boring, glad to see the PP coming around, although the movement on that 1st unit is pretty awful. 

I'll be up late chasing a brighter aurora and early 7am train to Denali, unless there is wifi around chances are I'll have to catch the highlights, another win is much needed! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Might be worth rotating guys there to see who clicks best for now. try an off wing even. Got to be someone fast though, not Okposo.

ERod. Sheary, Pommer, Tage are the guys to keep trying. 

I think they've tried Tage with Eichel once or twice before and it just didn't click.  But I think Tage is learning a lot this year and his development may get him to the point where he's a true top-six forward.  He's got the shot, he's learning to maneuver.... his skills are already very good; he needs to learn when to stickhandle versus pass it off (I almost put shoot in that list, but you know if he has even a decent shot he'll pull the trigger).

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And there we have it, from the world's greatest authority on ice hockey.  No way did Sheary make a nice play.  It was all crap.

Wait, when did jame surpass pi2000?  Hmmm... speaking of which, pi hasn't been on in a month.  I hope he's okay.

Edited by Doohickie

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Well,  we are tired of losing for one.  

After the great record in November, not making the playoffs will be unacceptable.  The team has to believe that, time for moral victories has past.  We left a lot of points on the table in December and January,  they need to be relentless and work hard and let’s see we’re the chips fall.  

When you say unacceptable, what will you do if this team doesn't make the playoffs and you're faced with accepting it?

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Which one?

There is more than one band called *The Clash*?

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Casbah.

By far not their best, but it got a lot of radio play in America back in the day.

It may not their best, but

Us mortals do like it. A lot.

But you don’t understand my point of view/I suppose there’s nothing I can do

Don't make me get all punk on you....

?

Love you NS!

Knew I'd get you going!

• Haha (+1) 1

I am going to stick with this one tid bid I mentioned while at the game.

Skinner is more abrasive, or physical, or controlling, dominant, self imposing, will asserting, game changing, or how ever you want to phrase it than any other player on this team. If he signs a long term contract with the Sabres and the team gives him the *C*. 

I'm really good with that.

Contract and the *C*.

• Like (+1) 1

Man I hope they carry momentum to the next game. Jets aren’t messing around this year. The new power play is clicking. Without it this game would’ve gone to OT. If it had been as good as it was in the last couple of games I think we’d be 6th or 7th in the east. 

Oh well. Can only go forward and up from here.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

I am going to stick with this one tid bid I mentioned while at the game.

Skinner is more abrasive, or physical, or controlling, dominant, self imposing, will asserting, game changing, or how ever you want to phrase it than any other player on this team. If he signs a long term contract with the Sabres and the team gives him the *C*. 

I'm really good with that.

Contract and the *C*.

No way they strip the 'Golden child' of the 'C'

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Man I hope they carry momentum to the next game. Jets aren’t messing around this year. The new power play is clicking. Without it this game would’ve gone to OT. If it had been as good as it was in the last couple of games I think we’d be 6th or 7th in the east. 

Oh well. Can only go forward and up from here.

They haven't looked like it recently, they just lost today to the Senators...........

Good thing is that the Sabres always seem to play to the level of their opponent alot. They look good or surprise many against teams that are near the top (Calgary), then get beat in games against teams they should beat easily (Chicago)

9 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They haven't looked like it recently, they just lost today to the Senators...........

Good thing is that the Sabres always seem to play to the level of their opponent alot. They look good or surprise many against teams that are near the top (Calgary), then get beat in games against teams they should beat easily (Chicago)

Jets are 34-18-3 and 5-4-1 in their last 10 but still sit in 3rd in the west. Hence why I said this year not last game. I do agree the Sabres play better against better teams.

11 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

No way they strip the 'Golden child' of the 'C'

Maybe just a spanking and timeout.

Edited by SABRES 0311

I'll take the 2 points, the 2ndary scoring and the bounceback from Linus, but it's worth remembering that Detroit is 1 pt out of DFL.

I continue to think something is wrong with Eichel.  He was pretty much invisible today other than that sweet feed to Bogo that Howard made a great save on.  And there's no playoff drive without peak Eichel.

KO quietly has 5 goals in his last 15 games.  (And only 1 assist, so let's not get carried away on this.)

Let's see what happens tomorrow against a good team that is going to be PO'd and playing hard.

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’m going to probably be unpopular in this comment but I do not think PH was a soft player.  He came in the league at 18.  A boy out of USA high school at a time when that was unheard of, in a league were fighting was routine, equipment was mediocre, and hitting was stressed.  

I saw him play live in the Aud a lot.  He was not a hitter but he was not soft.  You cannot be soft and put up the numbers he did. You cannot be soft and play 16 years or whatever he played.  You cannot be soft and earn a place in the HOF.    Look at his penalty totals.  

Jacques Lemaire was a great player, a winger, mostly a goal scorer, usually had less than 20 PIM per season.  Never hit much or fought, but he played hard and used his skill.   He was an offensive player and played on the LaFluer line in his prime.  His Devils teams were tough and disciplined.  They didn’t score much, they played defense first.    His teams played different than he did.  

So my point is that Phil does not teach them to be soft because he was soft   To think that is ridiculous.   The Sabres are one of many soft teams in the NHL, but saying it’s because PH played soft is crazy.   

Actually, Lemaire was a center for the Habs. He had Lafleur and Shutt as wingers for 4 or so years at the very end of his career. He was also more of a playmaker than a sniper. Unheralded as a defensive player but he was a good two way center.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

And there we have it, from the world's greatest authority on ice hockey.  No way did Sheary make a nice play.  It was all crap.

Not to mention his bull ***** over your opinion, which you formulated watching him live, on Sob.  This jame guy has some good hockey knowledge and opinions, but is terrible at how he presents them much of the time, but by far his worst trait is how he invalidates the opinions of others.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

I said Sheary did a great job. 

13 hours ago, jame said:

Any goal from 30 feet out with no deflection and no one around the net is soft.

yes, great job by Sheary to get the shot off through a D.... still soft on Howard.

If you’d like to counter... explain why a goalie not being able to pick up a shot from 30 feet isn’t soft? Yes, Sheary made a very good play. Yes, picking up the shots release is difficult in that scenario. But it’s still a softie. It’s a save that an NHL goaltender is expected to make.

Edited by jame

30 minutes ago, jame said:

If you’d like to counter... explain why a goalie not being able to pick up a shot from 30 feet isn’t soft? Yes, Sheary made a very good play. Yes, picking up the shots release is difficult in that scenario. But it’s still a softie. It’s a save that an NHL goaltender is expected to make.

Not when there's a screen.

7 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'll take the 2 points, the 2ndary scoring and the bounceback from Linus, but it's worth remembering that Detroit is 1 pt out of DFL.

I continue to think something is wrong with Eichel.  He was pretty much invisible today other than that sweet feed to Bogo that Howard made a great save on.  And there's no playoff drive without peak Eichel.

KO quietly has 5 goals in his last 15 games.  (And only 1 assist, so let's not get carried away on this.)

Let's see what happens tomorrow against a good team that is going to be PO'd and playing hard.

Something is wrong with Eichel, but don't forget his sweet pass, through traffic, to Mittelstadt.

44 minutes ago, jame said:

Expected is too harsh.  You'd like him to make it, but it was a good shot and he definitely was screened to some degree, perhaps a lot.  I don't consider that a soft goal.

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not when there's a screen.

I see that you were not able to explain, let me help. There’s an enormous difference between a net front screen in front of the net that prevents a goalie from seeing the puck, and a screen 30 feet out that prevents a goalie from seeing the release

in one case the goalie literally cannot see the puck... in the other case the goalie can.

Edited by jame

14 minutes ago, caseydean said:

Expected is too harsh.  You'd like him to make it, but it was a good shot and he definitely was screened to some degree, perhaps a lot.  I don't consider that a soft goal.

While the having the release screened makes it more difficult to quickly pick up the shot trajectory, the distance of the shot made it a softie st this level. 

53 minutes ago, jame said:

While the having the release screened makes it more difficult to quickly pick up the shot trajectory, the distance of the shot made it a softie st this level. 

I can explain it for you......

If you watch the replay in slo-mo 1 frame at a time, you'll see at the 18:42 mark of the 2nd period  where Sheary is being dogged by the Dman(I forget who it was), he then takes an ever-so slight look upward.

vvvv

vvvv

vvvv

vvvv

He then closes his eyes and crosses his fingers while shooting the puck and praying that it goes in. 

Divine intervention from the Hockey Gods and their CF%100.

ShearyGoal-20190209-1.thumb.jpg.f170825b89d5611fc08b88a4115f9297.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-2.thumb.jpg.221a7d076d3f546d984cba4f9e950975.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-4.thumb.jpg.6e3d670c86587655f4f10e74c5170697.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-5.thumb.jpg.9dcd2c04cc39fce41ace64bbc76d836b.jpg

The screen hides the release, making it difficult to judge trajectory.  Howard sees that Sheary is shooting and does what most goaltenders do these days; he drops down to cover the lower part of the net.  It ends up squeaking in right next to his blocker just before he reacts and moves it out.  Notice that he's still dropping down in the third shot, then moves his blocker in the fourth (one frame later on the video.)

While I might like him to pick it up in time (if I were a Detroit fan), it's not so far out that I would call it a true softie.

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, carpandean said:

ShearyGoal-20190209-1.thumb.jpg.f170825b89d5611fc08b88a4115f9297.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-2.thumb.jpg.221a7d076d3f546d984cba4f9e950975.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-4.thumb.jpg.6e3d670c86587655f4f10e74c5170697.jpg

ShearyGoal-20190209-5.thumb.jpg.9dcd2c04cc39fce41ace64bbc76d836b.jpg

The screen hides the release, making it difficult to judge trajectory.  Howard sees that Sheary is shooting and does what most goaltenders do these days; he drops down to cover the lower part of the net.  It ends up squeaking in right next to his blocker just before he reacts and moves it out.  Notice that he's still dropping down in the third shot, then moves his blocker in the fourth (one frame later on the video.)

While I might like him to pick it up in time (if I were a Detroit fan), it's not so far out that I would call it a true softie.

From looking at these  shots it looks more like Howard was not positioned properly (a little to far to his left?) like he might have been concentrating on the players coming from that side(Mitts?) A split second look to that side could've been the difference.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.