Who is the next Sabre voted off the Island?

GASabresIUFAN

With Elie sent to Rochester and he trade deadline just weeks away, who is the next Sabres to be sent packing? Jbot has 7 current RFAs and 2 UFAs on the roster and the Sabres have collapsed on D. He also has another 11 players with only 1 additional year remaining on their contracts (4 RFAs and 7 UFAs)

Some candidates are obvious.  Baloo (RFA) and Scandella (1 yr left) because of their mediocre recent play here, contract control but better play in recent past.  

Some others might not be so obvious.  Can Jbot find a taker for KO?  Would he trade Pommers to give him another run at a Cup?  If he acquires an RHD like Pesce, would be then trade Bogo or Nelson? Could Sobotka get waived or traded (he actually has 5 assists in the last 13 games)?  Would he move Girgensons or Larry to make room for Wilson?  Would he actually trade McCabe is someone offered a 1st and a player?

• nfreeman changed the title to Who is the next Sabre voted off the Island?
1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

No one is trading for KO or Pommer.

18 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Quite true.

That does not mean that either, or both, could not be the next Sabre voted off the island.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
blah, blah, blah ...

The reality is that none of the underperforming players are going anywhere until the season's over. Teams that are buying at the deadline aren't shopping for dead weight, they want impact players. Now, if the Sabres somehow find themselves in a position to buy, they will probably ship out packages of solid prospects and younger Sabres who show flashes but aren't putting up big numbers yet - like Thompson, Rodrigues, Mittlestadt, Pilut, and McCabe - guys that give losing teams' GMs hope for the future in exchange for their stars of today. We all want to believe those guys will blossom into the Sabres core of the future, but today they are merely the most realistic bargaining chips. Aside from them, there are guys who are either too important to the franchise, or have no market value. There are not a lot of players in between. And if the Sabres are out of contention at the deadline, it's likely that nothing happens at all. It's not like they are going to dive back into rebuild mode.

Edited by Skibum

43 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I really think Beaulieu. Hasn’t played much so maybe they are shopping him and avoiding injury.

When he dressed for that one game I thought they might be showcasing him. I suspect they would willingly move him, probably just for a draft pick, but I am not sure anyone will want to offer anything worth bothering with. Still , extra D men are often sought after for teams expecting a long run so you never know. More likely JBot gets offers on McCabe or Scandella for that but the price may be low and not worth it for the optics. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

When he dressed for that one game I thought they might be showcasing him. I suspect they would willingly move him, probably just for a draft pick, but I am not sure anyone will want to offer anything worth bothering with. Still , extra D men are often sought after for teams expecting a long run so you never know. More likely JBot gets offers on McCabe or Scandella for that but the price may be low and not worth it for the optics. 

Agree on all. I’m not sure what the plan is with Beaulieu. If they wanted to showcase I’d think he’d play more. I say trade him and Scandella but keep McCabe. I like how he drills guys ever now and then.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

No one is trading for KO or Pommer.

11 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Quite true.

11 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

That does not mean that either, or both, could not be the next Sabre voted off the island.

Pommers has 12 goals YTD.  That puts him in a tie for 36th among NHL RW.  He is tied with Eberle, Brown, Mantha, Silfverberg, Virtanen and others.  His 12 goals would basically put him on the 2nd line for many teams in the NHL.

By the deadline his cap hit will only be about 1.2.  He has proven this season he can still produce when playing with good players.  He'd be a cheap secondary scoring acquisition who also brings professionalism, playoff experience and leadership.  Not a bad combo for a a middle rd pick. 

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pommers has 12 goals YTD.  That puts him in a tie for 36th among NHL RW.  He is tied with Eberle, Brown, Mantha, Silfverberg, Virtanen and others.  His 12 goals would basically put him on the 2nd line for many teams in the NHL.

By the deadline his cap hit will only be about 1.2.  He has proven this season he can still produce when playing with good players.  He'd be a cheap secondary scoring acquisition who also brings professionalism, playoff experience and leadership.  Not a bad combo for a a middle rd pick. 

I do think that a playoff team looking for some veteran leadership and some additional scoring would be interested in Pominville.  I would not be surprised if he is given another kick at the cup can.  I also would be very surprised if he would ask for one.  If nothing else he is a loyal soldier.  I think he wants to retire a Sabre.

15 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I really think Beaulieu. Hasn’t played much so maybe they are shopping him and avoiding injury.

He's been an invisible part of the organization since he said he wants to play more, whether that is in Buffalo or somewhere else.  I would think they are trying to move him.  Could be they have a few offers but are looking for more.  Perhaps waiting for a team to suffer an injury on D that makes that team more desperate to backfill that injury.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He has 12, but how many in the last 50% of the season?  I think that's the problem.  I still think someone would trade for him. 

It's possible Pominville might even accept it just for another shot at the playoffs.  He can still retire a Sabre too. That said, he might have told management that he doesn't want to be moved and I think they would honor that request as well.

Almost every player is 'tradeable', it just depends on what your willing to accept in return

Pommers could have teams willing to trade for him, but I doubt the offers are going to be higher then a late pick, or a salary dump, same with KO

If the Sabres want to move some of the underperforming veteran guys currently on the roster, they will either have to accept less or include them in deals taking back salary. In order to get players who may help the team now or next year, they are going to have to be willing to give up picks or some of the guys in Rochester

I get the feeling it is going to be a quiet (depressing) deadline for the fans. I don't get the impression that JBott is willing to spend to try and make the playoffs this year. They viewed the season going in as a development/evaluation year, they don't appear to be the type that is willing to break away from a plan. Some of the dead weight may be moved for picks or reinforcements in Rochester, then possibly bring up a few guys to fill the openings and let them show what they can do at the NHL level. Then they look at next year as a playoff year making a few moves this offseason to add to the roster.

The rest of this season will be looked at as if they make the playoffs, great, if they don't, its fine because that would have been a bonus from the original goal this year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.