Casey Nelson loaned to Rochester (conditioning)

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

Can we lose Balo or Hunwick instead?

Yea, if we don't trade someone before Nelson's 14 day conditioning stint expires... we could always bring him back on our roster and put Hunwick on waivers.

I expect Beaulieu will be traded for a semi-useless draft pick in the next 14 days.

Just now, jame said:

Yea, if we don't trade someone before Nelson's 14 day conditioning stint expires... we could always bring him back on our roster and put Hunwick on waivers.

I expect Beaulieu will be traded for a semi-useless draft pick in the next 14 days.

I'm surprised Balo is not gone already.

He wants to play and can't crack the line up. Some where there has to be a bag of pucks...

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scandella and Baloo have to be on the trading block.  With teams desperate for D we might get more then you think for them.

Probably a 3rd for Baloo and a 2nd for Scandella.  I can see both traded, especially with Guhle and Hunwick still around. 

I don't think we'll get a 3rd for Beaulieu... I hope so... but I doubt it. I think it will more likely be a 5th-7th round pick and an AHL Veteran to help Rochester in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, jame said:

They now have 14 days to trade a defensemen or risk losing Nelson on waivers... clocks ticking.

What do you think the chances are he’d be claimed?

Should we even care if he is?

He hasn’t been very good here or in Rochester.

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

He played really well before getting injured.  He's a young, fast, cheap, R-Hand D-man.  I think he'd get multiple teams claiming him for nothing if waived.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Going completely off my memory here....

But didn't Casey and Rasmus start the year off on fire? Immediate chemistry?

One of our best lines?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tondas said:

He played really well before getting injured.  He's a young, fast, cheap, R-Hand D-man.  I think he'd get multiple teams claiming him for nothing if waived.

Cheap is the only thing he has going for him.

IMO his ceiling is bottom pair on a team looking to tank.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

When he didn't play with Dahlin, Nelson was below mediocre and I think 3rd pairing defender is the right grade on him. 

But who did he play with?

I don't doubt he graded out that way with any other of our third pairing guys,  d-men need chemistry as much as skill.

If he skated mostly with Balo or Scandella he was absent both chemistry and skill then.

Edited by woods-racer

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Cost effective RD depth... is more valuable than an abundance of 2-4 million dollar LD depth (Scandella, Beaulieu, Hunwick)

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

But who did he play with?

I don't doubt he graded out that way with any other of our third pairing guys,  d-men need chemistry as much as skill.

If he skated mostly with Balo or Scandella he was absent both chemistry and skill then.

He played 42minutes with Scandella and 109minutes with Bealuie, 87minutes with Dahlin

Those were his top partners at even strength. Fun fact, Nelson and Beaulieu are actually good together as a 3rd pairing. 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He played 42minutes with Scandella and 109minutes with Bealuie, 87minutes with Dahlin

Those were his top partners at even strength. Fun fact, Nelson and Beaulieu are actually good together as a 3rd pairing. 

So Hunwick should most definitely be on the chopping block is my first take from this.

Second thought,  the sad part about that is Nelson/Beaulieu would be at least our second pairing for the last 10 years prior to this season.

The good news is we are getting picky over our third pairing.

Baby steps.

There are good teams all around the league with guys like Casey Nelson in their 3rd pair/depth D roles... a 3rd pair that gets limited minutes, against lesser competition, can be a pairing that's successful through it's skating ability. It's why Beaulieu-Nelson was a capable 3rd pair early in the season...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.