Jump to content
realtruelove

"We've got to be tougher to play against." Phil Housley

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Worse case scenario, Eichel scores an own goal. He still needs to say what needs to be said. No leader in any aspect of life will have a perfect opportunity to correct someone. Any leader who thinks they need to be perfect to say something is no leader at all.

Sam is not the Captain and for good reason. Eichel would have enough respect to not do it into a mic. This would resonate with the goalie and other players. There’s also a time and place. The next day pull the goalies aside and do it. Immediately after the game there is too much emotion to make a point.

I do not believe any real emotional discussions have happened. I would suspect they lead to confrontation. Fom what we see on the ice there are only a couple of guys who look like they are comfortable with that sort of thing. Sam is not one of them which is why he did it in a room full of outsiders.

A players only meeting where they verbally go at it is needed. Tell reporters to GFY. They are trying to write articles their publications need to sell papers. IMO some of those questions led to prescribed answers. Sam fell for it and so did Phil to an extent. Jack will be a good Captain someday and if he talks to Sam about his comment it will be a step in the right direction. It also shows the next guy he says something to that he doesn’t care who it is. 

I understand where you are coming from.  But with regards to your statement Sam wanting to avoid confrontation: Do you think he was ignorant of what would happen after he spoke out? Speaking out to the media has always been the sure fire way of making an issue bigger than it would be if it were handled in house. I just can't think that Sam would not know that. 

For me, when players speak out it's either because they are done with the team or they've tried to speak "in house" and it has had no impact. So, now every player has to deal with being asked about their effort and all of them have to think twice before they try and pass the "I've been playing fine" statement to the media.

I'm not saying it's the best tactic. However, if other things have been tried and had no impact, bit might be the best tactic left.

12 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I thought I was speaking in English when I mentioned winning battles and races for pucks. That does not solely allow for physical play to the accentuated factor.

If you want to twist the meaning of things, I can do the same.....

How do you get say things like "unless you kill me" and "I am going to be all over you" which would take being tough or at least physical? Or was the Bundy just "tenacious?

The problem is some people "think" that when other people talk about toughness that they mean physically. They "think" they are the only ones that  can distinguish between the physical part and the tenacity and use it as an excuse to make a play on words to promote some perfectionist attitude and agenda.

And please don't treat me like some idiot that doesn't know that size isn't always a factor and continue on a rant with Datsyuk as an example like I've never seen hockey before. Oh, and just so you know, I've seen Marty St. Loius play too.

Yes, in all facets of life you can find examples of the "underdog" finding a way to over come adversity by adapting their attributes favorably in a given moment.

 

You misconstrued my comment about English.  I was merely commenting on the different forms of "tough" when it comes to the language and how it leads to confusion between people.

Sorry you felt like I am the kind of person that would just attack you and try to belittle you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LTS said:

I understand where you are coming from.  But with regards to your statement Sam wanting to avoid confrontation: Do you think he was ignorant of what would happen after he spoke out? Speaking out to the media has always been the sure fire way of making an issue bigger than it would be if it were handled in house. I just can't think that Sam would not know that. 

For me, when players speak out it's either because they are done with the team or they've tried to speak "in house" and it has had no impact. So, now every player has to deal with being asked about their effort and all of them have to think twice before they try and pass the "I've been playing fine" statement to the media.

I'm not saying it's the best tactic. However, if other things have been tried and had no impact, bit might be the best tactic left.

If Sam tried saying something and got ignored by the team then I stand corrected. If the first time he calls someone out is to the media then it’s a problem. 

I was thinking the same thing about what it means when a player does this. I dunno hopefully they get it out among themselves and come together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I thought I was speaking in English when I mentioned winning battles and races for pucks. That does not solely allow for physical play to the accentuated factor.

If you want to twist the meaning of things, I can do the same.....

How do you get say things like "unless you kill me" and "I am going to be all over you" which would take being tough or at least physical? Or was the Bundy just "tenacious?

The problem is some people "think" that when other people talk about toughness that they mean physically. They "think" they are the only ones that  can distinguish between the physical part and the tenacity and use it as an excuse to make a play on words to promote some perfectionist attitude and agenda.

And please don't treat me like some idiot that doesn't know that size isn't always a factor and continue on a rant with Datsyuk as an example like I've never seen hockey before. Oh, and just so you know, I've seen Marty St. Loius play too.

Yes, in all facets of life you can find examples of the "underdog" finding a way to over come adversity by adapting their attributes favorably in a given moment.

 

I understand your take on that post by LTS and you are free and able to interpret it as you see it.

That said, he is a long-time poster who has, as far as I know and I read most of his posts, never attacked another poster.  Take that for whatever it may be worth.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If Sam tried saying something and got ignored by the team then I stand corrected. If the first time he calls someone out is to the media then it’s a problem. 

I was thinking the same thing about what it means when a player does this. I dunno hopefully they get it out among themselves and come together.

Yeah, I think the problem is we don't know.  It's really how we, as individuals, then perceive his actions.  Clearly there are quite a few different perceptions of it.

Just like his follow up on what he said. Some people are all over that.  

Overall I think his full set of comments were directed at the team as a whole. He does single out goaltenders, but they are a singular on the ice in any given game. There is only 1 of them and they don't change.  That said, they do need to be better.  But they also need help from the 5 players in front of them and that's not happening either.

The team needs to start answering those hard questions and if Sam speaking up makes reporters dig a little deeper I am fine with it. I'd like to think that as a player, I would perhaps step it up a bit just so I could stop being asked about the effort over and over again.

Of course, we as fans have been hearing that for awhile now.  A loooooong while.  Like back when Pominville was Captain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LTS said:

I understand where you are coming from.  But with regards to your statement Sam wanting to avoid confrontation: Do you think he was ignorant of what would happen after he spoke out? Speaking out to the media has always been the sure fire way of making an issue bigger than it would be if it were handled in house. I just can't think that Sam would not know that. 

For me, when players speak out it's either because they are done with the team or they've tried to speak "in house" and it has had no impact. So, now every player has to deal with being asked about their effort and all of them have to think twice before they try and pass the "I've been playing fine" statement to the media.

I'm not saying it's the best tactic. However, if other things have been tried and had no impact, bit might be the best tactic left.

You misconstrued my comment about English.  I was merely commenting on the different forms of "tough" when it comes to the language and how it leads to confusion between people.

Sorry you felt like I am the kind of person that would just attack you and try to belittle you. 

Apology accepted.

It was the questioning me after the fact that I included different meanings of tough (win races for the puck) and then going on like I was some dolt that didn't know the difference.

Why is it that people will "say" there are 100 different meanings to the word tough but, when someone else uses that word they automatically"aassume" they mean only the physical aspect. Why can't they assume that person meant any of the other 99 definitions? That's what aggrivates me because if I had a nickel for every time this happens about this subject, I'd be richer than Pegula.

Please accept my apology also as it's been a tenacious week.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, LTS said:

Yeah, I think the problem is we don't know.  It's really how we, as individuals, then perceive his actions.  Clearly there are quite a few different perceptions of it.

Just like his follow up on what he said. Some people are all over that. 

 

Take this to the politics thread where it belongs. 😜

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that that's all settled we can move on to very important things.  Like who are we going to kick off the damn island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Now that that's all settled we can move on to very important things.  Like who are we going to kick off the damn island?

Eichel.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Apology accepted.

It was the questioning me after the fact that I included different meanings of tough (win races for the puck) and then going on like I was some dolt that didn't know the difference.

Why is it that people will "say" there are 100 different meanings to the word tough but, when someone else uses that word they automatically"aassume" they mean only the physical aspect. Why can't they assume that person meant any of the other 99 definitions? That's what aggrivates me because if I had a nickel for every time this happens about this subject, I'd be richer than Pegula.

Please accept my apology also as it's been a tenacious week.

Call it bad quoting.  I actually wasn't questioning you so much as continuing a thought on what others had said and I think it rolled into looking like a response to you.

If you were richer than Pegula you could buy the team.  Then we'd have a reason to attack you! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Now that that's all settled we can move on to very important things.  Like who are we going to kick off the damn island?

 

9 hours ago, realtruelove said:

Eichel.

Bold strategy Cotton. Let me guess Eichel for a sixth round pick. CAT Scans exist for a reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LTS said:

Call it bad quoting.  I actually wasn't questioning you so much as continuing a thought on what others had said and I think it rolled into looking like a response to you.

If you were richer than Pegula you could buy the team.  Then we'd have a reason to attack you! 🙂

We're all good.

I think someone else has gotten these boards a bit testy and defensive. Usually I like to be a bit of a joker and have fun. Other times a good convo works for me talking about the Sabres. 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...