realtruelove

"We've got to be tougher to play against." Phil Housley

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Full comments here:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-postgame-2719/t-277822760/c-65678403

Reporter: "You've given up 17 goals in these 3 home games, are you getting to the point as an organization where you have to decide if this defensive corp is capable of playing here?"

Housley: "That's Jason's job. Obviously we are going to take a hard look at it, this game tonight and we will evaluate that (the game?) tomorrow. We are going to show it (the game?) again. We're going to review it. I think it is important they see it, so they can hear what we are talking about it, because to me those things are very fixable. The defensive part of our game for the most part, checking detail, coming back into our zone, was really good. But again it is just in and around our net we've got to take care of." 

They covered their guys Phil sometimes except in front of the net, gotten beaten to the puck way too often, took bad angles, and didnt put a body on the man.  Was like watching an NBA defense guarding the outside till the ball was thrown down low for a dunk.... pitiful.  Put a body on the man, this isnt the NBA.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jame said:

It's not that hard.

Why do you insist on invalidating other posters opinions?

• Like 2

I think PH is feeling the pressure now and this was more of a deflection from him than trying to call JBott out. Still a weak move. Sam on the other hand pulled a DBag move and if I was a goalie his face would meet the wall. Reason being, how many goals did Sam score when Ullmark got let down against Dallas? 

Sam said what he said in a room full of people instead of pulling the goalies aside like a man. No balls. 

This is an opportunity for Jack to be a Captain and tell Sam to STFU. Preferably he does it in front of the team with no reporters around. Gives him credit with the other players and might spark some emotion.

Edited by SABRES 0311

12 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think PH is feeling the pressure now and this was more of a deflection from him than trying to call JBott out. Still a weak move. Sam on the other hand pulled a DBag move and if I was a goalie his face would meet the wall. Reason being, how many goals did Sam score when Ullmark got let down against Dallas? 

Sam said what he said in a room full of people instead of pulling the goalies aside like a man. No balls. 

This is an opportunity for Jack to be a Captain and tell Sam to STFU. Preferably he does it in front of the team with no reporters around. Gives him credit with the other players and might spark some emotion.

Did you see the full comments from Sam? 

Edited by LGR4GM

I believe tenacity (great word) should be a large component of your captains play...... every bit as important as skill. I think we're lacking here.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

The whole quote needs to be taken into consideration, but the specifics concerning the goalies is not good.

This team is long overdue for a players only meeting and an airing of grievances.  They need to take accountability for the play and really come together as a team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Full comments here:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-postgame-2719/t-277822760/c-65678403

Reporter: "You've given up 17 goals in these 3 home games, are you getting to the point as an organization where you have to decide if this defensive corp is capable of playing here?"

Housley: "That's Jason's job. Obviously we are going to take a hard look at it, this game tonight and we will evaluate that (the game?) tomorrow. We are going to show it (the game?) again. We're going to review it. I think it is important they see it, so they can hear what we are talking about it, because to me those things are very fixable. The defensive part of our game for the most part, checking detail, coming back into our zone, was really good. But again it is just in and around our net we've got to take care of." 

The dude does have a point

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

The whole quote needs to be taken into consideration, but the specifics concerning the goalies is not good.

This team is long overdue for a players only meeting and an airing of grievances.  They need to take accountability for the play and really come together as a team.

He uses the typical everyone needs to do this and that but called out the goalies specifically. Does anyone really think Hutton and Ullmark are going to shake his hand and say you’re right?

There will always be those games where it’s an offensive duel just like some games the goalies stand on their heads and bail out the lack of offense which is what happened against Dallas. Did Sam do this when crazy eyes Lehner was here? If not I wonder why. 

Everyone is entitled to their interpretation of his comments. This is mine.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The dude does have a point

The reporter?  I agree if that's who you mean.

I'm not as disappointed in Phil's response as a lot of others seem to be.  I don't think his evaluation of what has been happening is wrong.  The goals that kill them are right around the net if memory serves.

Edited by ...
  • Like 2

The optics of Sam's comments are terrible at best.  Last night was not on Ullie, but some key saves needed to be made.  The Carolina goalie was not playing like Roy either.  A key save here and there, like earlier in the season, and the Sabres would have won, in spite of themselves.

The team is what it was earlier in the season, especially during the streak, except the goalies are playing nowhere nearly as well and the overall D is practically non-existent now.

In fact, as @GASabresIUFANpointed out one of the other big issues in secondary scoring has really improved of late.

Commitment and buy-in this the key to team defense.  Knowing your role.  I have to say I was disappointed with Larry last night.  He seemed to have bought into the defensive shutdown role, but was just as much of an "observer" as the other wingers.

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Commitment and buy-in this the key to team defense.  Knowing your role.  I have to say I was disappointed with Larry last night.  He seemed to have bought into the defensive shutdown role, but was just as much of an "observer" as the other wingers.

May take him a couple games to get his legs back... looked gun-shy not wanting to get hurt again.

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here we are again Sabrespace team, ground hog day all over of the last how many plus years now ? Lamenting team play, coaching, skill level, player talent, GM even maybe. 

Is 1 or 2 or all of these things? 

I don't have any axe to grind on PH and he genuinely seems like a nice guy but there is saying that nice guy's finish last and typically those saying come about because they ring true in many area's. 

What's the one thing that can have the biggest impact on a team ?  

What I have seen make the most difference in short period of time through the years of watching hockey and many teams not just the Sabres it's a Domink Hasek type goalie or the the head coach that can have the biggest impact on a team. 

The issues he rightly recognizes as the teams problems as head coach he wholly owns. I am sorry but if he can't get his team to respect their own end then they just don't respect their head coach.  It's that simple to me...

• Like 1

I would say there is a difference between knowing what is wrong and knowing how to fix it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hsif said:

I believe tenacity (great word) should be a large component of your captains play...... every bit as important as skill. I think we're lacking here.

I think our captain lacks tenacity as well.  

For all of the non-Pittsburgh fan abuse he got as being less than masculine, Sydney Crosby has been one tenacious MFer to play against.  Jack needs that level of tenacity.  

Make a couple plays every game with the tenacity Skinner displayed on that late goal and Jack would be compared more directly with McDavid.

And he’d be a much better captain as well.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

For all of the non-Pittsburgh fan abuse he got as being less than masculine, Sydney Crosby has been one tenacious MFer to play against.  Jack needs that level of tenacity.  

Make a couple plays every game with the tenacity Skinner displayed on that late goal and Jack would be compared more directly with McDavid.

I'm going to agree with you here.

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would say there is a difference between knowing what is wrong and knowing how to fix it. 

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

It's these 2 things together.

The coaches see the problem, show the player(s), try to get them to do the right thing. Yet they don't.

20 minutes ago, Weave said:

Crosby is also one of the most powerful skaters in the league and his legs are monsterous, which allows him to play a more tenacious game. For as much speed as Jack has, he could definitely work on his leg strength and get into some more battles ala Crosby.

24 minutes ago, Weave said:

This is how I see it too. When Jack is the biggest offender of the lackadaisical defensive zone coverage, it sets a poor example and precedent for the rest of the team. I see that and as a player I think "if this is how our captain plays, that's probably good enough for me too". If Jack went into that room before today's practice and talked about defense and tenacity, the rest of the players would laugh in his face. He doesn't have a leg to stand on until he shows some personal accountability. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I never understand this line of thinking.  Housley's skill set doesn't preclude him not understanding other aspects of the game.  It's not like he wasn't around some tough as nails players in all of his time playing and coaching. 

More over, toughness does not mean physicality. It's one way to be tougher to play against. It can also mean that the team is not tenacious enough in its defense. It can mean that it is too easy to get the puck from them when they are on offense.

I had a tough teacher more than once. They didn't beat me over the head.

It's easy to blame the coach, because it's one person.  It's one person whose job it is to motivate the team. However, if you've ever tried to lead a team you may have come up against the situation where a few bad eggs on the team will consistently undermine anything you are trying to do. It's compounded if those bad eggs are also some of the more talented on the team.

Right now, this team is back to being fragile. Okposo said it a few weeks ago (or last week).  The coaching card that was posted in the Carolina thread says it.  Their mental state is fragile and that's not something a coach can necessarily fix. The team has to resolve that issue.  It's beginning to sound like the locker room problem hasn't been totally eradicated and that someone in there still needs to get bounced. 

If Housley and Botterill are not on the same page I wouldn't necessarily point the finger at Housley.

Right now I think it's safe to say that the whole team is at fault for sucking it up.  I wouldn't point the finger at any one person. They suck and they need to stop feeling bad about it and decide to play hockey and that doesn't come from 1 person.  It comes from all of them.

It also seems that the direction of the NHL is at fault to some extent.

D-men are getting smaller and more offensive minded, while the forwards are getting bigger and faster. It seems that more races for the puck and battles in the D-zone are being lost by the team defending because of this. Dahlin might be an exception to this in a couple years with speed, O-skills, and toughness. We need more of that. Risto is close.

I remember reading about Karlsson's coach telling him if he takes care of his D-zone responsibilities that the offensive chances will take care of themselves. He really took off after that.

4 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Really? Cause he was credited as a major reason why the Preds defense was so good.

Some of us were wise enough to realize having a lineup laden with HOF and all-stars was the major reason for their defensive success.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The only thing worse than an ill-advised comment, but a reasonable accurate one, is walking back from it.

15 hours ago, realtruelove said:

That's not "Jason's Job"  That's Phil Housley's job, the players job and THE CAPTAIN'S Job.  We have clarity and now we know who owns the rest of this season.

Disagree; that type of thing is either in a player or not in a player.  It's on scouting/GM to find the right guys, if that is going to be what we are targeting.

Totally agree with Phil that we are a soft team, however.