GDT: Sabres vs. Wild, 7PM EST, 2019-02-05

MattPie

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

and Pilut chased a guy up the boards leaving the front of the net wide open so what? 

@18, Dahlin showed signs of absolute brilliance tonight and anyone who doesn't recognize that simply doesn't understand hockey and is just a critic rather than a fan. 

In his third season he will be an allstar and in his fourth he will be best D man in the league, mark my words. 

Did I say anything that didn't indicate long term success?  He looked freaking awesome on that play that didn't amount to anything. I'm just not gonna turn a blind eye to the mistakes. Pilut was manhandled repeatedly by Minnesota, he deserves just as much if not more criticism. These guys aren't infallible. We are suffering through their growing pains. Although at 24, what we see with Pilut might be what we get. 

• Like (+1) 1

Overall it was another pretty leaky D-zone performance.   Bogo’s play has definitely fallen off lately.  

I thought Reino and Jack both started slow and then really started to impose themselves on the game.  

I think Howie re-mixed the lines a bit in the 3rd and got Jack some shifts with Skinner and Reino.  

Not sure who gets scratched when Larsson is healthy, but it shouldn’t be ERod or CJ.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Overall it was another pretty leaky D-zone performance.   Bogo’s play has definitely fallen off lately.  

I thought Reino and Jack both started slow and then really started to impose themselves on the game.  

I think Howie re-mixed the lines a bit in the 3rd and got Jack some shifts with Skinner and Reino.  

Not sure who gets scratched when Larsson is healthy, but it shouldn’t be ERod or CJ.  

It should be one of Okposo, Sobotka or Pommers, they all look painfully slow and just offer next to nothing out there. 

It's sad as they all seem like good dudes and we all know Housley won't do it, but one can dream. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with this.  I know a lot of people don't value ERod, but he brings it every game and can float between the second and fourth lines effectively.

Sobotka and Sheary are horrible and both need to sit. I almost think in both cases it'd be addition by subtraction.

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Reinhart's best game of the season (so far).  I thought the best combo of the night was when he was with Casey.

So maybe we have the starting point for 2 top lines that are both 2/3 there. Add a couple wingers in some way and we have a pretty good team all of a sudden.

Where are the Dahlin critics tonight I wonder? :)

There are no Dahlin critics. People who criticize his play, fairly, sure.

Is this going to be a thing?

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

There are no Dahlin critics. People who criticize his play, fairly, sure.

Is this going to be a thing?

It will be if people insist on treating him as some sort of diety. He's good but if I'm watching a game and he barfs all over himself, I'm not going to ignore it. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

It will be if people insist on treating him as some sort of diety. He's good but if I'm watching a game and he barfs all over himself, I'm not going to ignore it. 

Well, there was that turnover late in the third that was apparently just horrendous. I actually didn't see the entire play. I did see him block the shot with his foot (ow).

I'll say, though: If you're posting one thing about Dahlin in a GDTand it's a criticism, you come off as missing the bigger picture. Is he already the best player on the team? If he's not, he's getting there - rapidly.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Well, there was that turnover late in the third that was apparently just horrendous. I actually didn't see the entire play. I did see him block the shot with his foot (ow).

I'll say, though: If you're posting one thing about Dahlin in a GDTand it's a criticism, you come off as missing the bigger picture. Is he already the best player on the team? If he's not, he's getting there - rapidly.

I'm not quite sure how to assess his play. The skill set is obvious and exciting, but the mistakes are often. Waits too long to react defensively, many bonehead passes in his zone, gets caught out of position a lot. I know he's only 18, still learning, but he's nowhere near the best player on the team. I'm not down on him in the least, and the encouraging part is that he is pretty effective despite the many mistakes.

Edited by klos1963
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.