CJ Smith Called Up

Brawndo

Just now, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I wonder if this is the start of a rotational tryout before the deadline and who might be next one up.

I don’t know if this a deadline tryout. Although they have been testing the fan’s patience, they are not mathematically elininated yet. We also put Ellie on waivers and I think Larry is still hurt.

Either way Phil needs to ice the best team possible and CJ has some experience over the other prospects. I think his callup is normal. Trying to use him as trade bait defeats what JBott wants to do, develop through the system and not sacrifice future the now.

But I could be wrong.

11 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don’t know if this a deadline tryout. Although they have been testing the fan’s patience, they are not mathematically elininated yet. We also put Ellie on waivers and I think Larry is still hurt.

Either way Phil needs to ice the best team possible and CJ has some experience over the other prospects. I think his callup is normal. Trying to use him as trade bait defeats what JBott wants to do, develop through the system and not sacrifice future the now.

But I could be wrong.

I never said anything about him being trade bait.

My "tryout" remark was with the intent of seeing who can best help us in regards to the final run. Hoping that the "rotational" part means that we hopefully get to see others like Olofsson and Nylander, all "before the deadline" so that we can see if the help is coming from within or if we need to make some sort of deal. 

11 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I never said anything about him being trade bait.

My "tryout" remark was with the intent of seeing who can best help us in regards to the final run. Hoping that the "rotational" part means that we hopefully get to see others like Olofsson and Nylander, all "before the deadline" so that we can see if the help is coming from within or if we need to make some sort of deal. 

Wo wo wo. No need to get testy. I thought your mention of the deadline inferred calling up and rotating prospects to see if they would entice trade packages.

9 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Wo wo wo. No need to get testy. I thought your mention of the deadline inferred calling up and rotating prospects to see if they would entice trade packages.

Wasn't getting testy either, just clarification of your statement.....hope we're all good.

Playing them for the purpose of using them as trade bait has some risk if they were to get injured. I know they could get injured in Roch too and I know there could also be reward in showcasing them also. But like I said....that wasn't my intention.

Glad we got that straightened out and you now know what I meant.

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This must mean that Wilson is not quite ready yet.

I’m not sure why people keep saying this. He’s not in Rochester on conditioning. He was waived and sent down. And he’ll have to earn a recall like any other player. There’s a good chance he stays in Rochester the rest of the season. 

5 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’m not sure why people keep saying this. He’s not in Rochester on conditioning. He was waived and sent down. And he’ll have to earn a recall like any other player. There’s a good chance he stays in Rochester the rest of the season. 

He *is* in Rochester on conditioning. But conditioning stints are limited in length. So they had to waive him to give him a longer conditioning assignment. It was a safe move to assume no one would claim someone who was injured. 

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

He *is* in Rochester on conditioning. But conditioning stints are limited in length. So they had to waive him to give him a longer conditioning assignment. It was a safe move to assume no one would claim someone who was injured. 

I don’t buy it. Who’s he coming up for? Botterill himself said the younger players will be getting looks the second half of the season. Eventually Olofsson or O’Regan will be given a shot. 

44 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I don’t buy it. Who’s he coming up for? Botterill himself said the younger players will be getting looks the second half of the season. Eventually Olofsson or O’Regan will be given a shot. 

He did actually say that? So it's not just an SS forum fantasy? Now's the time...

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Whose the last players that was called up from Rochester, made an impact and stayed with the team and blossomed as a player the following season(s)?

I honestly can't think of a single player. 

Stafford, Foligno and Pomminstein are the last 3 I can remember off the top of my head

4 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This must mean that Wilson is not quite ready yet.

or he is not part of their plan for the future. 

Most teams rotate a few prospects this time of year. Looks for scouts and their own assessments. It's normal. Search for potential chemistry. 

I am surprised we aren't seeing a few more given the crap 2nd and 3rd lines we have but I guess they are more future focused than we are and want to build a winning culture in Rochester first. 

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

or he is not part of their plan for the future. 

Most teams rotate a few prospects this time of year. Looks for scouts and their own assessments. It's normal. Search for potential chemistry. 

I am surprised we aren't seeing a few more given the crap 2nd and 3rd lines we have but I guess they are more future focused than we are and want to build a winning culture in Rochester first. 

If we wasn't part of the future why did JBot sign him to a two-year contract over the summer?

While we're still in the playoff hunt I don't expect Rochester call-ups (barring injury).

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

If we wasn't part of the future why did JBot sign him to a two-year contract over the summer?

While we're still in the playoff hunt I don't expect Rochester call-ups (barring injury).

Cause he was better than another guy we had at the time. Good guy to mentor kids in Rochester. Utility player. No big deal. He's a 4th liner at best on a good team.

Lots of playoff teams call guys up. Showcasing them for potential trades or looking for chemistry. It's normal behavior. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Whose Wilson?

Scott Wilson.  Was injured at start of season (pre-season I think), came off IR, was waved by Sabres and sent to Rochester.  His injury was a primary driver in picking Elie off waivers at the start of the season.

Edited by Doohickie
Never mind. With the new avatar I thought you were a new poster. Welcome to freakin Sabrespace.

On 2/4/2019 at 1:26 PM, Mustache of God said:

Whose the last players that was called up from Rochester, made an impact and stayed with the team and blossomed as a player the following season(s)?

I honestly can't think of a single player. 

Girgensens. He came up from Rochester and then played pretty well for a season under Nolan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.