Are the Sabres damaging players?

Scottysabres

Back to the thread title...…………..

Are the players being adversely effected by the inconsistent play here in Buffalo? Is there a double negative on going with regards to that inconsistent play and the apparent rigidness with which Botterill/Housley are maintaining the status quo on the roster?

Ellie was waived today, speculation was Wilson on his way up, but does that one subtraction and addition really change the dynamics of the roster overall, or, as I suspect, the players are aware that this is the group they are with to the very end?

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Well we sit three points out of a wildcard, we have some games in hand, so it’s hard to not see that some things have improved.  Its just hard to understand how the things that helped us during the streak - great goaltending, solid defensive play, a top scoring line - are now all gone.  

What will it take to get the November team back?  

An exorcism or the demons put on the Buffalo sports teams years ago.

OH, and more steroids in the chicken wings.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Well we sit three points out of a wildcard, we have some games in hand, so it’s hard to not see that some things have improved.  Its just hard to understand how the things that helped us during the streak - great goaltending, solid defensive play, a top scoring line - are now all gone.  

What will it take to get the November team back?  

If anything the opposite is true.

The strange thing is Edmonton mirrors us exactly.  Almost the same exact issues.  They have the best young player in the world and are a complete joke.  Yet the islanders with mainly an average core look like contenders in one season minus their superstar walking this year.  Strange how it works.  I still think it comes down to having the right coach.  

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Back to the thread title...…………..

Are the players being adversely effected by the inconsistent play here in Buffalo? Is there a double negative on going with regards to that inconsistent play and the apparent rigidness with which Botterill/Housley are maintaining the status quo on the roster?

Ellie was waived today, speculation was Wilson on his way up, but does that one subtraction and addition really change the dynamics of the roster overall, or, as I suspect, the players are aware that this is the group they are with to the very end?

Yes.

And, yes.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The strange thing is Edmonton mirrors us exactly.  Almost the same exact issues.  They have the best young player in the world and are a complete joke.  Yet the islanders with mainly an average core look like contenders in one season minus their superstar walking this year.  Strange how it works.  I still think it comes down to having the right coach.  

I think a closer examination of how VGK were able to so well last season would help shed light on this riddle. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Phil is every NFL coach who ever had a lead on the Pats at halftime. We're learning he's no Belichick. Phil's getting schooled. The Dallas game is Exhibit A. And that's on top of unforced pregame errors like starting Hutton over Ullmark last night.

Well ----- Belichick wasn't Belichick either after his first two seasons.  His coaching record was 13-19.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Does anyone have an opinion on where Pegula stands on the situation right now?

Is he at DEFCON 5 thinking everything is proceeding as planned at it will take more time?

Or is he at DEFCON 2 and about to take us to DEFCON 1 when he fires Botterill and Housley on the same day?

Where is he?

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Does anyone have an opinion on where Pegula stands on the situation right now?

Is he at DEFCON 5 thinking everything is proceeding as planned at it will take more time?

Or is he at DEFCON 2 and about to take us to DEFCON 1 when he fires Botterill and Housley on the same day?

Where is he?

Hopefully realizing another round of inexperience in the front office was a bad idea...

6 minutes ago, jame said:

Hopefully realizing another round of inexperience in the front office was a bad idea...

Not likely considering the amount of authority his wife weilds.  I think inexperience is absolutely the key critria in both front offices.  Truly experienced and successful management would likely decline to work for her.  Yzerman? Lamoriello? Babcock?  Not likely.  And so the story goes.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ... said:

I think a closer examination of how VGK were able to so well last season would help shed light on this riddle. 

I live here in Florida and was one of the few that wanted Gallant.  He did wonders in his short time with the Panthers but management did not like his vision.... now look at VGK... and we did not even interview him

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The Sabres are not damaging players.

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, it’s wings. Wings are damaging the Sabres.

... and the Bills.

Don’t let them eat wings.

I think it's all those pregame meals at Chef's

Edited by darksabre

1 hour ago, 3putt said:

Not likely considering the amount of authority his wife weilds.  I think inexperience is absolutely the key critria in both front offices.  Truly experienced and successful management would likely decline to work for her.  Yzerman? Lamoriello? Babcock?  Not likely.  And so the story goes.

It’s not about her... it’s about inexperienced sports ownership all around... it’s why I’ve wanted a president of hockey ops since day 1 of Pegulas

Not sure which thread to put this in... this Okposo video tells it like it is.

they got way too high after the 10 game winning streak, when they developed real bad habits but got away with them.

and the removal of ROR did nothing to change the lockerroom that still gets down on themselves after a loss.

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/1091766394960650240?s=21

10 hours ago, Weave said:

It never left.  The league tightened up as it does every year and what was working well enough isn't enough anymore.

This is how I see it as well. The goaltending is also not as good as it was then so put the two together and you see losses instead of wins. 

This damaging players argument doesn't fly.  All over the league the view is that Dahlin is ahead of where Hedman and Karlson were at his age. He will be just fine. Give the kid a break, he is JUST A KID.

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is how I see it as well. The goaltending is also not as good as it was then so put the two together and you see losses instead of wins. 

This damaging players argument doesn't fly.  All over the league the view is that Dahlin is ahead of where Hedman and Karlson were at his age. He will be just fine. Give the kid a break, he is JUST A KID.

Who is describing Dahlin with this analysis? Because I haven't seen that. Dreger, McKenzie, Costance, they've reported what scouts are telling them, and they all say the same thing. They are all saying he's 18 and isn't, and I quote, "A Complete NHL Package Yet".

What you posted isn't what those that speak with training insiders are reporting. So who's lying?

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Who is describing Dahlin with this analysis? Because I haven't seen that. Dreger, McKenzie, Costance, they've reported what scouts are telling them, and they all say the same thing. They are all saying he's 18 and isn't, and I quote, "A Complete NHL Package Yet".

What you posted isn't what those that speak with training insiders are reporting. So who's lying?

He doesn't get a ton of coverage, but when mentioned on TSN and Sportsnet here he's been getting a lot of superlative praise. They've been good to Dahlin.

He's also acknowledged as the clear no.2 in the Calder race within shouting distance of 1. 

He's getting far more play than Eichel ever did, his rookie season. Granted, Dahlin is having a better rookie year relative to his peers. 

Edited by Thorny

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He doesn't get a ton of coverage, but when mentioned on TSN and Sportsnet here he's been getting a lot of superlative praise. They've been good to Dahlin.

He's also acknowledged as the clear no.2 in the Calder race within shouting distance of 1. 

He's getting far more play than Eichel ever did, his rookie season. Granted, Dahlin is having a better rookie year relative to his peers. 

It's not a matter of "projecting" what he can do on TSN, it's a matter of what "trainers and scouts" are telling them.

Sure he's on par with development, but to describe him as "ahead of where Hedman and Karlson were at his age" is not what was being said 2 weeks ago and beyond.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

It's not a matter of "projecting" what he can do on TSN, it's a matter of what "trainers and scouts" are telling them.

Sure he's on par with development, but to describe him as "ahead of where Hedman and Karlson were at his age" is not what was being said 2 weeks ago and beyond.

https://goo.gl/images/yaUhhB

Karlson said it himself. On the cover of THN Draft Preview. 

13 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

. How about the O zone, no one in the slot for us, perimeter play all day long, using an umbrella type formation that appears to rely very heavily on the points as opposed to the forwards down low. These are just things I see game in and game out.

When I can’t watch a Sabres game, I usually record NHL Network’s ‘On the Fly’ to watch the highlights.  The other day they had a live look in on a Tampa power play.  The Tampa players kept crowding towards the net as a group and were half way in from the blue line and scored.  Watch a Sabres power play and they hang out on the perimeter passing back and forth causing me to yell at the screen to shoot the puck. When they do, it’s either blasted wide or blocked and seems to be easy to defend by the opponent.  Individual plays by Jack either scoring or passing to Skinner seem to be all they can do.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

https://goo.gl/images/yaUhhB

Karlson said it himself. On the cover of THN Draft Preview. 

Yes, this is one. I've also heard it many times in many places. With the tv package I have I sometimes watch the opposing announcers to hear what they think of the Sabres figuring it might be less biased in their favor. I remember the New Jersey guys raving about him as well as others. Even the Boston duo, go figure. You simply are expecting too much from an 18 year old D man. Patience.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.