Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

In my humble opinion, General Manager Jason Botterill needs to address the fan base on what the plan moving forward is. That includes the tenure of Phil Housley.

To myself in any event, as I watch the games, especially these past 2 months, it is more than clear that whatever strategy and tactics Phil is using are not working. There is something inherently wrong with Housley's inability, unwillingness, refusal, incompetence, call it what you will, to adjust strategies and tactics to fit the abilities and skillsets of his players. This, to me, is a sign of very bad coaching staff or a roster of players who simply are not able to adapt. Now, on this roster, yea, I can 6 to 8 players that may fall in to the latter's category, but 23 of them? Actually more given the replacements from time to time from the press box or Rochester. I'm having a really hard time believing EVERY PLAYER in the Sabres organization is unable to adjust to Housley's system, and yet, night after night, game after game, it appears there is a complete disconnect there.

I'm there now, Housley needs to go, if for no other reason than to try a different strategy.

You know, the more I watch and listen to what he wants his system to be, the more you can see when they abandon the system they get screwed. I think a lot of the players are and have adjusted. I think the issue is other players can't or sometimes abandon that system. My first complaint about Phil is that he doesn't know how to do lineups but has improved. My second complaint is that Housley can't find a way to hold his players accountable. That bothers me a lot. 

For yet another season, we just aren't there yet. It's ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 2/11/2019 at 5:43 AM, ... said:

I think the questions can be boiled down to: 

Has Phil lost the team?

I say he hasn't in the least bit.  The players never hint or otherwise that they have a problem with their coach.  When coaching is an issue for a team, at some point the players start hinting.  I see no signs that the players do not respect Phil.

Would the Sabres benefit more from a new coach or roster improvements?

This is an obvious yes. Seeing Phil's system, if we had the players who could play it 85-90% this team would already be in the playoffs.

Is Phil responsible for the team's mental discipline?

This is the most difficult to answer, I think.  I struggle with where the player's responsibility for their own focus ends, and where the coach's responsibility for the teams' focus begins.  Open to reading other POVs on this, especially.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't see them quit, I just see them make some very dumb mental errors. It seems to happen constantly.  I will give Phil a hair of credit because last night he actually said they weren't good enough. This team needs to grow up. 

Cliche, I know, but this is a team with a lot of young players learning how to win. Of course, it is part of Phil's job to teach them, but it's silly to think that it's as simple as him saying "do this" or showing his teeth and a light bulb will go on.

Anyone who has raised or is raising kids knows, it's a process and it takes time. We were horrible and we've shown progress. It might be intermittent progress and not enough progress, but it is progress all the same.

I don't like everything Phil does, but I don't think he is incompetent or inconsistent. Until we acquire more talent, or the young talent we have fails to develop, hitting the restart button is likely to do more harm than good.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Cliche, I know, but this is a team with a lot of young players learning how to win. Of course, it is part of Phil's job to teach them, but it's silly to think that it's as simple as him saying "do this" or showing his teeth and a light bulb will go on.

Anyone who has raised or is raising kids knows, it's a process and it takes time. We were horrible and we've shown progress. It might be intermittent progress and not enough progress, but it is progress all the same.

I don't like everything Phil does, but I don't think he is incompetent or inconsistent. Until we acquire more talent, or the young talent we have fails to develop, hitting the restart button is likely to do more harm than good.

I understand the spirit of your post, but this team really isn't that young. Mittelstadt and Dahlin are the only two players who are both young and in critical positions. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I am willing to give him 1 more year. Some of your and others' arguments have talked me back from the ledge. 

I'm also willing to give him another year...but I want to explore other options as well. I definitely don't think Housley should be on totally solid footing. 

I just keep thinking about the Islanders. They lose John freaking Tavares and they're higher in the standings. 

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

I understand the spirit of your post, but this team really isn't that young. Mittelstadt and Dahlin are the only two players who are both young and in critical positions. 

I posted this elsewhere:

Eichel 22, Reinhart 23, Risto 24 and these are our leaders

Rodrigues has played 130 NHL games, Ullmark 50, Pilut 22, Dahlin 56, Smith 9, Thompson 89, Mittelstadt 61

Even older guys like Sheary and McCabe only have 250 NHL games under their belts.

Other than Bogosian (and sometimes maybe Hutton and Scandella) who is both a veteran and worthy of more than a depth role?

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm also willing to give him another year...but I want to explore other options as well. I definitely don't think Housley should be on totally solid footing. 

I just keep thinking about the Islanders. They lose John freaking Tavares and they're higher in the standings. 

This is my thought process as well. I also think about the low event hockey the Isles play and thank Botterill he got a forward thinking coach so... I am conflicted. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I posted this elsewhere:

Eichel 22, Reinhart 23, Risto 24 and these are our leaders

Rodrigues has played 130 NHL games, Ullmark 50, Pilut 22, Dahlin 56, Smith 9, Thompson 89, Mittelstadt 61

Even older guys like Sheary and McCabe only have 250 NHL games under their belts.

Other than Bogosian (and sometimes maybe Hutton and Scandella) who is both a veteran and worthy of more than a depth role?

Young in age isn't the same thing as young in career. The leaders you listed aren't young, they're in their primes. 

You hit the problem in your last thought. The problem isn't that our team is young, it's that we still have a dearth of talent. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Young in age isn't the same thing as young in career. The leaders you listed aren't young, they're in their primes. 

You hit the problem in your last thought. The problem isn't that our team is young, it's that we still have a dearth of talent

This is why I have always said that it's too early to fairly judge Housley.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is why I have always said that it's too early to fairly judge Housley.

While sometimes true, I dont think it applies in this situation. If the Sabres were losing because they just didnt have the talent to compete, that would be one thing, but they arent looking good I  their losses and it's not because of talent issues. Theres more questions about effort by the players and issues with lineups then just three being a lock of talent on the roster. And talent wise, they arent that far off most teams in the league talent wise. Islanders lost a big piece talent wise and they are just as good or better. Montreal was supposed to be a bad team lacking talent and they are playing really well. Carolina dealt away chunks of talent too.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I can still judge him for his lineup decisions and player usage. 

Fair.  The lineup is lacking, but what is here has not always been used well.

2 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

While sometimes true, I dont think it applies in this situation. If the Sabres were losing because they just didnt have the talent to compete, that would be one thing, but they arent looking good I  their losses and it's not because of talent issues. Theres more questions about effort by the players and issues with lineups then just three being a lock of talent on the roster. And talent wise, they arent that far off most teams in the league talent wise. Islanders lost a big piece talent wise and they are just as good or better. Montreal was supposed to be a bad team lacking talent and they are playing really well. Carolina dealt away chunks of talent too.

This is a big issue and it is one that we can judge the whole coaching staff on.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The Islanders most notable improvement has been in their defensive play.  They've gone from league worst in GA to the league's best in one year. I am quite certain that has nothing to do with Tavares as much as it does the other changes they've put in place. 50% of their goaltending is the same and Greiss is killing it this year. 

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the Canadiens are a great example of what a "team" can do. They dealt out the bigger names and are now playing a team game.  I'll admit I don't watch as much of their games but it seems to me they are just clicking.

All of it boils down, to me, that it's not the coach. There are some issues still in that locker room and it falls on the players. I'm still reluctant to point fingers at Eichel and say he's the vast majority of the problem, but I do think he still has to grow up more. I believe Okposo's comments about guys getting too high and too low were aimed at Eichel.

There are still talent issues here. There are a few more players that need to be moved out. This team is still performing how I expected it to this year. It was bound to be frustrating. I am hoping Botterill brings in a little more talent and a solid locker room veteran to get this team over the hump.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I am willing to give him 1 more year. Some of your and others' arguments have talked me back from the ledge. 

That's my view as well. Teams that keep switching coaches rarely do well. Last year they were a mess. This year they seem to have developed a system and some nights it works really well but they finally seem to have understood it - most nights. It's a fragile system though and can break down easily if all the parts aren't in sync. Next year they have to learn how to adapt/adjust it on off nights and learn to win the close ones. Switching the entire system now would be a huge step backwards.

Next year, the expectation is playoffs and if we are no better next year he's toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

There's not much Housley can do the rest of this season that should save his job. Short of a run to the mid-90s he has to go. I was holding out on going there, but this is inexcusable hockey.

I have no idea who should be the next coach. I literally do not give a ***** who coaches this team. I do not give a ***** who this team trades away excluding Eichel, Dahlin and Mittelstadt. Literally anyone else can go for any price. Just figure it out. I'll tune back in next year.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There's not much Housley can do the rest of this season that should save his job. Short of a run to the mid-90s he has to go. I was holding out on going there, but this is inexcusable hockey.

I have no idea who should be the next coach. I literally do not give a ***** who coaches this team. I do not give a ***** who this team trades away excluding Eichel, Dahlin and Mittelstadt. Literally anyone else can go for any price. Just figure it out. I'll tune back in next year.

Is it really Housley's fault that these guys do not have the talent to put the puck in the net? Not sure how the coach can do that.

With this system they move the puck up the ice well, they attack, they outshoot most teams most nights, they have possession and zone time, they simply do not finish the play. 

Outside of the top 5 players on this team (Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin, Risto, Reinhart - in that order) the rest are ALL useless.  (maybe add Bogo for 6, but that's really it. Mittlestadt is not ready, Pilut may never be).the rest are rubbish, including the goalies.

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is it really Housley's fault that these guys do not have the talent to put the puck in the net? Not sure how the coach can do that.

With this system they move the puck up the ice well, they attack, they outshoot most teams most nights, they have possession and zone time, they simply do not finish the play. 

Outside of the top 5 players on this team (Eichel, Skinner, Dahlin, Risto, Reinhart - in that order) the rest are ALL useless.  (maybe add Bogo for 6, but that's really it. Mittlestadt is not ready, Pilut may never be).the rest are rubbish, including the goalies.

I might take exception with the movement and attack on the PP.  They stand around too much and are too easy to defend against. 

9 minutes ago, Marchand'sNose said:

I'm starting to come around to this conclusion. Maybe Phil inherited a bunch of guys who are just inherently dumb and lazy.

It's a coach's responsibility to fix dumb and lazy. They hired a "teacher" for a reason. Teams reflect their coach, Housley says they are soft. He needs to look in the mirror. 

11-17-5 since their 10 game win streak. Schneider's 1st win as a starter in his last 21 starts. How embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I might take exception with the movement and attack on the PP.  They stand around too much and are too easy to defend against. 

I would not disagree with that. We are also not tough enough in front of the net. Reinhart gets in there but really good power plays force the box in tighter with net presence allowing the guys on the outside more freedom of movement and time. Most everything we do PP and even full strength comes from outside or from a distance and the goalies can easily see the shots and make the saves. I mean a guy like Tage is a big guy with a long reach and yet most all he does is snap a long wrist shot from outside or the top of the circle. A guy with that frame needs to be right in front causing havoc Dave Andreychuk style. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nickrage said:

Bring back Lindy.

Yeah I know....

In case you're serious. Two years out of the playoffs in Dallas, one really good regular season, never out of the second round, shitcanned, now an assistant in NY. Is Buffalo the only place where his head coaching career could be resurrected? Former Sabre. Check. Probably a fine man, too.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Nickrage said:

Bring back Lindy.

Yeah I know....

Welcome!!

And, no.

Sent you a beer anyway.

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

In case you're serious. Two years out of the playoffs in Dallas, one really good regular season, never out of the second round, shitcanned, now an assistant in NY. Is Buffalo the only place where his head coaching career could be resurrected? Former Sabre. Check. Probably a fine man, too.

You forgot to send the new guy a beer.

• Thanks (+1) 1