Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

19 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I don’t know that for certain. I know many people believe it though.

As a Redskins fan, attendance this year was atrocious and embarrassing. The fans are beyond outraged, they’re apathetic. The Skins won their season opener this past year (dominated).... and returned home to play the Colts in their home opener. The stadium was half empty and half of the filled seats were Colts fans. Colts fans!!!! They don’t travel like Steelers/Packers. It never got any better through the year, it got worse. Even when they were 6-3 and going into divisional games. I’ve seen it bad before.... right before we hired Gibbs and also Jim Zorn. But this level is unprecedented.

And yet, Snyder continues to tune out the fans and media. Believing that he knows better than anyone else. Trumpeting a message that they’re close... 

At this point, fans are hoping Snyder just moves the team. And the city can start over as an expansion. That’s how bad it is.

I didn’t think it could get as bad as last year. And now I know it’s going to get even worse this year.

So I’m not sure what the breaking point is any more.

I understand where you're coming from.  I think we all feel more or less the same.

But here's the thing.  We have had quite a few of these "breaking points" in the last decade or so, haven't we?  We keep striving to find new organizational depths.  

As you point out with Snyder and the Redskins...when an organization continually finds new ways to screw things up royally, while all the key names keep changing...there is only place you need look for the root source of the problem: ownership.

I firmly believe Housley and Botterill will both be replaced if and when we get this thing turned around.  By the time we are firing on all cylinders, we'll have a different HC and GM.  So then all we can do in the meantime is hope the transition comes sooner than later, and that Pegula basically lucks his way into getting the right guy on board.

Until the right guy is here, it's not going to get better.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I seem to recall Botterill and Pegula donated to Housley's Wife's election campaign... or did I dream that? I am seriously asking. 

The Pegulas definitely did.  Started no end of conspiracy theories on here.

Hamilton hardly ever,(and that’s being generous) gets anything of about the inner workings of the Sabres correct, but I believe he is correct one this one.

That being said I expect Chris Taylor to be named Sabres HC sometime in November, which might have been Botterill’s Plan all along. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just don’t see Botterill as a good liar.

He likes Housley, thinks Housley is doing a good job and plans on sticking with him until circumstances force him to do otherwise. Those circumstances don’t include an 80-point season this year, which would make the Sabres among the league’s most improved teams and put them right about where most observers (including, apparently, Botterill) thought they would be.

Circumstances that could change his mind include: postseason meetings, pressure from ownership, lack of success in the fall with an improved roster.

Housley's standard is low. He's passive and when he is angry or aggressive it is out of character. 14 wins in the last 44 games I think it is. He clearly lacks answers and I get the roster has flaws but when everyone is playing down that is a problem. Only 1 or 2 players seem to be playing up. That's a coach that doesn't motivate and hold people accountable. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

I just don’t see Botterill as a good liar.

He likes Housley, thinks Housley is doing a good job and plans on sticking with him until circumstances force him to do otherwise. Those circumstances don’t include an 80-point season this year, which would make the Sabres among the league’s most improved teams and put them right about where most observers (including, apparently, Botterill) thought they would be.

Circumstances that could change his mind include: postseason meetings, pressure from ownership, lack of success in the fall with an improved roster.

The missing link is indeed "pressure from ownership".  That can change the whole situation very quickly. 

But absent that, I agree with what you are writing here.  I expect Housley to be coaching the team next year for Game 1 of the 2019/2020 campaign.  I also expect the team to grossly underperform, and for Housley to be fired in the month of November or December.

The ensuing chaos and struggle to place an interim coach of some description behind the bench will result in another lost season and no playoffs. 

Pegula has the power to actually do something about that now, or at least during this off-season.  

But if he is going to ax Phil, he needs to do it soon.  If we are going to hire a new coach it would be best to do it when some of the bigger names are still available. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Housley's standard is low. He's passive and when he is angry or aggressive it is out of character. 14 wins in the last 44 games I think it is. He clearly lacks answers and I get the roster has flaws but when everyone is playing down that is a problem. Only 1 or 2 players seem to be playing up. That's a coach that doesn't motivate and hold people accountable. 

This is all true.  He was the same as a player, which is why he was never particularly liked in WNY, despite being a HOFer who played 8 seasons in Buffalo.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, Zamboni said:

I predict Housley will be gone before the 1st round of the playoffs even begin.

JB will have at least one more full season to right the ship.

In total agreement again Zamboni. This team is free falling under Phil so I believe his coaching won't work here. JBots should get one more season to see if he can entice a couple pieces here (although it may take a miracle- I use Schoop & the Bulldogs assessment of the Bills when Antonio Brown refused to come "Well, quite frankly, Buffalo deserves this because they have not made the environment enticing for free agents to want to come here") This rings true for the Sabres as well. But, one more shot he should have, at least of getting this team competitive for an entire season. Phil can go. I believe even if JBots gets the right coach this time, this club will improve greatly. In a short time, we will know.

8 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

Marty said two or three years with the 20-24 year old players here to be good.. I can’t take three years to be decent.

Neither can I- especially since we heard this before. Again, a decent coach could significantly speed up the process.

Just now, Jacque Richard said:

The Sabres always think the fans will be there. Bad move to think the fans will flocking to the arena.

Funny thing is after a long summer of no hockey people will be looking forward to it. If attendance gets too low they can always bring in some former player or coach that appeals to nostalgia. People will eat that garbage all day as with Nolan, Housley, Lafontaine. 

All management has to do is give the illusion of hope and when that well dries up you just switch the faces, wash, rinse, repeat. New guys get some YouTube montage of their hiring and promises with some epic background music and by end of winter we are talking about next year’s hopes and dreams. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/11/2019 at 9:18 AM, LGR4GM said:

I seem to recall Botterill and Pegula donated to Housley's Wife's election campaign... or did I dream that? I am seriously asking. 

Many PSE-related people donated to her campaign, including Botterill. 

That list included people from Brandon to Popko to Playfair to Rivet.

FWIW.

On 3/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Funny thing is after a long summer of no hockey people will be looking forward to it. If attendance gets too low they can always bring in some former player or coach that appeals to nostalgia. People will eat that garbage all day as with Nolan, Housley, Lafontaine. 

All management has to do is give the illusion of hope and when that well dries up you just switch the faces, wash, rinse, repeat. New guys get some YouTube montage of their hiring and promises with some epic background music and by end of winter we are talking about next year’s hopes and dreams. 

Still would like an experienced successful person brought in to oversee whole operation. Pegulas have to have experienced president or czar or whatever you want to call them running the franchises. Pegulas are great fans and willing to spend but that seems to have not in itself been the answer to being successful.

• Like (+1) 2

Y’all are nuts.  What this organization needs right now is stability. Since the rebuild began we’ve had 4 coaches, 3 GMs, 3 team presidents, a full turnover in scouting (thank god) and a me too scandal at PSE.  It’s time to play out this new plan right or wrong.

Jbot isn’t going anywhere and that is as it should be.  He needs 4 years at least to execute his plan and we are in year 2.  He has fixed the Amerks. Up graded our pipeline, looks to have drafted well but is still digging out from under TM’s roster. He has added Skinner and Dahlin in Buffalo, but I agree that there is still much work to be done with Buffalos roster.  We need more centers more scoring wingers and better defensive D men.  Rome wasn’t built in a day.  

As to PH, his system works when executed.  We saw that early in the year and Jbot is going to stick with him until he gets the right roster.

I think these last two games reflect a team that was playing without their best player and doesn’t match up with anyone without him.  I’m not sure that also means they have given up on PH.  

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It's starting to feel inevitable.

There was deadness in the arena. The sardonic wave (hey, we'll entertain ourselves) took us through a doorway into new territory. There wasn't much booing. I listen during games like this for the announcement that there's one minute left in a period and except to hear sarcastic cheers. Only a little last night. When it gets like this, it does feel inevitable. It's an, uh, entertainment business. Terry might not care about money, but he has plenty of people on staff who are dreading the season ticket renewals the way they are finishing (and with Skinner's status more up in the air by the day). Prepare the red meat.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Radar said:

Still would like an experienced successful person brought in to oversee whole operation. Pegulas have to have experienced president or czar or whatever you want to call them running the franchises. Pegulas are great fans and willing to spend but that seems to have not in itself been the answer to being successful.

I’d like all that too but the last couple of years has shown the opposite.

• Like (+1) 1