Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

99 times out of 100, if a coach had a 10 game win streak and then proceeded to win 14 of 48 games, he would have been fired a month ago. 

Since this has never happened before in the NHL I guess your odds are 0 times out of 1. 

• Haha (+1) 3

People can complain about the talent all they want ... I’m just not buying that talent is the main major reason why this team is mostly free falling for months now. I’m firmly (for about 4 months now) of the belief that it’s the coaching STAFF (not just Housley) and the system they want to play. It’s not aggressive. It’s not attacking like Winnipeg or SJ.

Of course there are upgrades to a few spots that need to be addressed, but it’s not the primary reason this team overall have looked uninterested, out chanced, out shot, out performed, and sometimes freakin embarrassed in games. 

No effective counter punch and in game adjustments from Housley and staff. A flaccid PP. Poor decisions. Terrible motivation. Inconsistent as all hell.

But ok Housley, Blame it every time on “not buying into the system”. Ya pinhead.

• Like (+1) 2

In DDB's second year digging out of the tank, he got 78 points.

It's looking like Phil's second year is going to place the team right around the same mark.

It would not take much to convince me that he needs to go.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Since this has never happened before in the NHL I guess your odds are 0 times out of 1. 

Thanks for proving my point. Housley has eclipsed the barrier of failure. Two teams have had 10 game win streaks and missed the playoffs in NHL history. It's quite possible the Sabres finish at least 10 points worse than that other team. 99 out of 100............... obviously hasn't happened that often. But you'de have to be clueless to think that percentage is accurate if it did happen 100 times. 

Housley sucks. I don’t care how many times we’ve changed coaches recently. 

If you have a blown tire on your car, you replace it with a new one. Just because you’ve blown 5 tires in 8 years doesn’t mean you just ride on the flat and hope it somehow magically finds a way to gain air again. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Look at what Babcock did with the 2015-16 Leafs, they were ranked 14th in Total Corsi at 51.35 and they were designed to finish 30th. 

That team out possessed their opponents many a night, however they could not score or make a save. 

And they scored one less goal then the Sabres that year. 

Once more talented players came on the roster, they were a playoff team. 

Does Housley have a playoff caliber roster, no but he does have the talent to be in the race right now. 

The question does need to be asked once the Sabres do field a playoff caliber roster is Housley the right coach for it?  

Oddly however, prior to tonight's game, the sportsnet guys were saying Babcock and the GM have issues now and he might get fired if they lose to Boston again while they also (albeit briefly) said they liked what Housley had done so go figure. 

40 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If you have a blown tire on your car, you replace it with a new one. Just because you’ve blown 5 tires in 8 years doesn’t mean you just ride on the flat and hope it somehow magically finds a way to gain air again. 

Except for this metaphor there is no way a coach is a tire. A driver or a mechanic maybe, but the tires are the players and Housley can switch tires, but only if there's a spare in the trunk. 

2 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I've had enough waiting and seeing. This organization is an absolute joke. 

So who you going to follow now? Boston?

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Except for this metaphor there is no way a coach is a tire. A driver or a mechanic maybe, but the tires are the players and Housley can switch tires, but only if there's a spare in the trunk. 

So who you going to follow now? Boston?

I'm still going to follow the Sabres. But unless some serious coaching changes are made during the off-season to bring in a veteran head coach with some balls, Sabres games will not be top priority. If I can make other plans, I will. 

Of course, there's always the Hurricanes.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

People can complain about the talent all they want ... I’m just not buying that talent is the main major reason why this team is mostly free falling for months now. I’m firmly (for about 4 months now) of the belief that it’s the coaching STAFF (not just Housley) and the system they want to play. It’s not aggressive. It’s not attacking like Winnipeg or SJ.

Of course there are upgrades to a few spots that need to be addressed, but it’s not the primary reason this team overall have looked uninterested, out chanced, out shot, out performed, and sometimes freakin embarrassed in games. 

No effective counter punch and in game adjustments from Housley and staff. A flaccid PP. Poor decisions. Terrible motivation. Inconsistent as all hell.

But ok Housley, Blame it every time on “not buying into the system”. Ya pinhead.

It's a combination of factors.  Our talent level is horribly low.  Sabres fans are the last people in the world to realize this, but that doesn't mean it isn't true.  The team has been horribly built; it's more a collection of parts, most of which aren't any good, and then 4 or 5 really solid players and/or prospects. 

The coaching staff seems inept; player usage has been terrible, we don't see in-game or even in-period adjustments to the opposition, and Phil starts players based on crazy things like if we won or lost the last game.

Then you have ownership, which is the most naive/inept in North American major league sports. 

I'm sure the actual location of Buffalo, NY plays a factor in there too, to an extent, with some of the players.

It's a good old fashioned ***** show.  

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

That's exactly right.

If you have blown 5 tires in 8 years and you blow another one, you still put a new tire on the car.

But then, if you're intelligent, you re-visit your tire purchasing behavior--you think about why you are blowing so many tires--you think about what makes a good tire and that maybe it's time to buy better ones.

Will Pegula magically turn into a guy who puts the right people in power within his organizations?  I have no idea.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I totally believe there is more talent on this roster than gets the credit. I like our goaltenders but as you saw against the Leafs, our defensive system (Steve Smith/Phil???) is crappola. If you aren't willing to take the body and just stick check, you'll lose the majority of your games. I do think a great deal of this falls on the current coaching staff. Leafs ran out of gas in the 3rd as to be expected crossing a time zone and playing the night before and the Sabres actually picked up some physicality (the Leafs weakness) so yes, the Sabres looked a little better then. Didn't matter by then. Another 'L".

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I wonder sometimes if Housley was told to not worry about winning games but focus on developing the system this year. He certainly does not seem to coach individual games and situations or create specific game plans for the opponent. So I guess you have to half empty half full things and choose whether you believe he is bad at that, or he will be doing that differently next year. Wait and see I guess cause he isn't going anywhere. 

Anyone here know with some credible certainty how long it would take to impose a system and style on a team that's fairly young on one hand, and transient on the other?  I mean, if the coach is complaining they're not playing the system, when he complains, then it must take more than a few weeks to get right, agree?

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oddly however, prior to tonight's game, the sportsnet guys were saying Babcock and the GM have issues now and he might get fired if they lose to Boston again while they also (albeit briefly) said they liked what Housley had done so go figure. 

Kyle Dubas was the GM for Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds and the Toronto Marlies prior to Leafs. His HC when he was with the Soo was Sheldon Keefe, his HC with the Marlies was also Sheldon Keefe. Any guesses on who Dubas probably prefers to be his HC with the Leafs? 

The SportsNet Analysts are amongst the best in the business without a doubt, however Marty Biron who does watch every minute the Sabres Play was on WGR for an entire hour with Jeremy White last Wednesday and he spend a large portion of a segment talking about how teams  should not be afraid to change coaches until they get it right. 

7 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Thanks for proving my point. Housley has eclipsed the barrier of failure. Two teams have had 10 game win streaks and missed the playoffs in NHL history. It's quite possible the Sabres finish at least 10 points worse than that other team. 99 out of 100............... obviously hasn't happened that often. But you'de have to be clueless to think that percentage is accurate if it did happen 100 times. 

The Flyers did not fire their coach (they made the playoffs the next season with him), and so far the Sabres have not made a move to fire their coach.   You are predicting an outcome based on 2 data points for 100 data points and insisting your prediction has 99% certainty.   Proving instead that math/statistics/ logic are not your strengths.

Many of us are all feed up with Phil as the Coach, myself included.  Firing him is only a good move if we hire someone significantly better.  Phil appears to be over his head as a first time head coach.   Team readiness, line matchups, powerplay …

My change of heart on Housley is mainly because in the almost 2 years he's been here, the team is not or doesn't appear to be progressing. After a promising start, we've just tanked the year. As for the talent on the team, no not the greatest but if you compare DDB's squad to this years squad, there is no possible reason DDB gets fired and tar and feathered and Housley gets a pass. Here's the lineup in DDBs final year and this years, no way you can tell me the squad hasn't been upgraded it is just a fact especially the Defense. 

2016-17                                             2018-19

Forwards     GP                                 Forwards           

Eichel           61                                  Eichel

ROR              72                                  Skinner

Reinhart      79                                  Reinhart

Okposo        65                                  Okposo

Kane             70                                  Sheary 

Gionta          82                                  Pominville

Moulson       81                                 Rodrigues

Foligno          80                                 Mittelstadt

Girgensons   75                                 Girgensons

Ennis             51                                  Sobotka

Larsson         36                                  Larsson

Deslauriers   42                                 Thompson

Carrier           41                                 Berglund

Defensemen

Ristolainen   79                                 Ristolainen

McCabe         76                                 Dahlin

Franson         68                                 Bogosian

Bogosian       56                                 McCabe

Falk                52                                 Scandella

Gorges           66                                Beaulieu/Pilut/Nelson

Kulikov           47                                Montour

1 hour ago, jsb said:

My change of heart on Housley is mainly because in the almost 2 years he's been here, the team is not or doesn't appear to be progressing. After a promising start, we've just tanked the year. As for the talent on the team, no not the greatest but if you compare DDB's squad to this years squad, there is no possible reason DDB gets fired and tar and feathered and Housley gets a pass. Here's the lineup in DDBs final year and this years, no way you can tell me the squad hasn't been upgraded it is just a fact especially the Defense. 

2016-17                                             2018-19

Forwards     GP                                 Forwards           

Eichel           61                                  Eichel

ROR              72                                  Skinner

Reinhart      79                                  Reinhart

Okposo        65                                  Okposo

Kane             70                                  Sheary 

Gionta          82                                  Pominville

Moulson       81                                 Rodrigues

Foligno          80                                 Mittelstadt

Girgensons   75                                 Girgensons

Ennis             51                                  Sobotka

Larsson         36                                  Larsson

Deslauriers   42                                 Thompson

Carrier           41                                 Berglund

Defensemen

Ristolainen   79                                 Ristolainen

McCabe         76                                 Dahlin

Franson         68                                 Bogosian

Bogosian       56                                 McCabe

Falk                52                                 Scandella

Gorges           66                                Beaulieu/Pilut/Nelson

Kulikov           47                                Montour

I'd really like to know how you come to the conclusion that this roster is better than 2yrs ago.....just asking for a friend. Personally, I don't see it, but maybe you can prove my friend right and we can have a good laugh.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'd really like to know how you come to the conclusion that this roster is better than 2yrs ago.....just asking for a friend. Personally, I don't see it, but maybe you can prove my friend right and we can have a good laugh.

Well to start, Eichel now is better than he was, Reinhart is better than he was, Skinner is better than Kane, Dahlin is better than anybody on the left, Risto has more experience than before, Bogosian has played more games, and as bad as you want to say these guys are playing, Scandella, B/P/N and Montour are better than Franson, Falk, Gorges and Kulikov. 

I have to go back to work now, otherwise I'd elaborate further.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The Flyers did not fire their coach (they made the playoffs the next season with him), and so far the Sabres have not made a move to fire their coach.   You are predicting an outcome based on 2 data points for 100 data points and insisting your prediction has 99% certainty.   Proving instead that math/statistics/ logic are not your strengths.

Many of us are all feed up with Phil as the Coach, myself included.  Firing him is only a good move if we hire someone significantly better.  Phil appears to be over his head as a first time head coach.   Team readiness, line matchups, powerplay …

I was taking math at UB in 6th grade, thank you very much. It was a casual observation. Do you honestly think I thought this has happened 100 times? Any coach in this situation would have been fired by now. Reality is not one of your strengths.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Bye Felicia. 

Classy. I know you hate me, you don't need to make it so obvious, Nancy.

Go back to living under your rock.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m not talking about record. I’m talking about personnel.

If you want 2016-2017 Lehner and Nilsson over 2018-2019 Hutton and Ullmark ... that right there is worth a laugh.

If you want 2016-2017 Gorges and Franson over 2018-2019 Montour and Dahlin ... that right there is worth a laugh.

If you want 2016-2017 Cal O’Reilly and Nic Deslauriers over 2018-2019 Mitts and Sheary ... that right there is worth a laugh.

If you want 2016-2017 kulikov and Babtiste over 2018-2019 Scandella and Rodriguez ... that right right there is worth a laugh.

If you want 2016-2017 Ennis over 2018-2019 Skinner ... that right there is worth a laugh.

i can go on, but it’s obvious to me the personnel itself have been upgraded from two years ago and even last year. It’s in a smaller part, a few holes still need to be upgraded. But by and large it’s the coaching staff. It’s just so bad ..

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, eman said:

I totally believe there is more talent on this roster than gets the credit. I like our goaltenders but as you saw against the Leafs, our defensive system (Steve Smith/Phil???) is crappola. If you aren't willing to take the body and just stick check, you'll lose the majority of your games. I do think a great deal of this falls on the current coaching staff. Leafs ran out of gas in the 3rd as to be expected crossing a time zone and playing the night before and the Sabres actually picked up some physicality (the Leafs weakness) so yes, the Sabres looked a little better then. Didn't matter by then. Another 'L".

Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, jsb said:

Well to start, Eichel now is better than he was, Reinhart is better than he was, Skinner is better than Kane, Dahlin is better than anybody on the left, Risto has more experience than before, Bogosian has played more games, and as bad as you want to say these guys are playing, Scandella, B/P/N and Montour are better than Franson, Falk, Gorges and Kulikov. 

I have to go back to work now, otherwise I'd elaborate further.

Thanks for taking the time. I was going to type the same thing but sometimes typing out the painfully obvious it is well… Painful. 

• Like (+1) 1