Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

If these guys aren't playing now and he's "lost the team" what makes JBot think things would change come Oct with Housley still coaching? IMO it's obvious as the sky is blue Housley gets the axe at seasons end. I think TPegs tells JBot its either him or you both go!

It's too bad, really. Almost everyone liked the hiring. Concerns started creeping up last season, but 10 straight wins had virtually everyone solidly in Phil's camp again. Even as the team was struggling into the New Year, just about any kind of recovery or signs of hope would have easily led to general support for one more year with a better lineup to see what he could do.

Unfortunately for Phil, his return now is simply implausible. The last two months have ensured that. Jeremy White made a good point recently. Phil did himself no favors with his vanilla bench presence and Milquetoast pressers. He didn't ever fight for his team during games or throw the patrons a bone in his commentaries. With a fanbase whose frustration is at an all-time high, the disconnect between us and him was a canyon. He won't be hated. Nor will our memories of him as the years go by be sharp, as a coach anyway, and that's a shame.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's too bad, really. Almost everyone liked the hiring. Concerns started creeping up last season, but 10 straight wins had virtually everyone solidly in Phil's camp again. Even as the team was struggling into the New Year, just about any kind of recovery or signs of hope would have easily led to general support for one more year with a better lineup to see what he could do.

Unfortunately for Phil, his return now is simply implausible. The last two months have ensured that. Jeremy White made a good point recently. Phil did himself no favors with his vanilla bench presence and Milquetoast pressers. He didn't ever fight for his team during games or throw the patrons a bone in his commentaries. With a fanbase whose frustration is at an all-time high, the disconnect between us and him was a canyon. He won't be hated. Nor will our memories of him as the years go by be sharp, as a coach anyway, and that's a shame.

I just said the same stuff in yesterdays GDT.  You said it better. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Implausible for most teams......plausible here.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Personally, I just wish people wouldn't care about these things at all. Or at least, not confuse them with whether a coach has emotion or how he coaches the players. 

How do you retain him?  This nosedive has been so brutal that I just can’t see any other option than to start fresh with a new coach and probably a new GM (although that’s prob not going to happen). 

• Like (+1) 1

What moves did HCPH do tonight to overcome them going down in the game early? 

Were the lines juggled? Was there any timeouts? Were there any goalie changes? I didn’t watch, so I’d like to know what he did. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk

36 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

What moves did HCPH do tonight to overcome them going down in the game early? 

Were the lines juggled? Was there any timeouts? Were there any goalie changes? I didn’t watch, so I’d like to know what he did. 

Exact opposite actually. Nylander was paired with the 'offensive' 28 and 22, and he had under 8 minutes of total gameplay. In the presser, Phil said that him not playing enough was because of him not liking how his linemates were performing...

Pairing Skinner with Okposo also seemed like a great idea to try and get him out of this massive slump, right? Linus let 3 goals in period 1, but everyone including Hutton based on his comments last night know that a change in net is useless. 

• Like (+1) 1

Housley has tried just about every combo possible, but no matter who plays with who there is zero secondary scoring and since the top line has dried up there is virtually no scoring, period. Our goal differential is almost at the bottom of the league.

I'm no fan of Housley's, but I do think believing that a coaching change will fix this is false hope.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Housley has tried just about every combo possible, but no matter who plays with who there is zero secondary scoring and since the top line has dried up there is virtually no scoring, period. Our goal differential is almost at the bottom of the league.

I'm no fan of Housley's, but I do think believing that a coaching change will fix this is false hope.

A better coach would get a lot more out of this group. 

To think changing the roster and having the same coach will yield better results is false hope.

At the beginning of the season, If you replaced Jon Cooper, Bruce Cassidy, Mike Babcock, Todd Reirden, Barry Trotz, Mike Sullivan, Paul Maurice, Peter Laviolette, Bill Peters, or Peter DeBoer with Phil Housley ... those teams wouldn’t make the playoffs.

And if the Sabres had any of those coaches all season, we would easily be 20-25 points better.

State of the Sabres: 

I place the blame like this ...

50% Housley and staff

20%  JB

15% Pegulas

15%  Roster

Fix the coaching and a 3-4 roster spots and this team looks soooo much better.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

15%  Roster

My own view is that you, like so many Buffalo fans for years, over values the players on our roster. 

Pommer, for example, an over the hill cap dump by Minnesota is our 4th highest goal scoring forward. Something wrong with a roster where that's the case. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

My own view is that you, like so many Buffalo fans for years, over values the players on our roster. 

Pommer, for example, an over the hill cap dump by Minnesota is our 4th highest goal scoring forward. Something wrong with a roster where that's the case. 

FWIW, Pommer would be tied for 4th in goals if he were still on Minnesota. But yes I totally agree with you.

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nope. Not overvaluing players at all. Just placing most of the blame where I see is the biggest Achilles heel.

agree to disagree 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Ross Rhea said:

If these guys aren't playing now and he's "lost the team" what makes JBot think things would change come Oct with Housley still coaching? IMO it's obvious as the sky is blue Housley gets the axe at seasons end. I think TPegs tells JBot its either him or you both go!

If I was a betting man, it was Pegs that hired Housley. He was a glamorous pick. A past Sabres hero - a pick that offered fans nostalgia. It’s just smells too much like a Terry pick. 

JBot has equal blame in Phil’s demise.  He got skewered by St Louis in the trade and did nothing to help him to replace O Reilly and nothing to help him down the stretch when it was clear we needed help.  Then JBot has the nerve to come on WGR a few weeks back and declare “progress”.  What a joke and an insult to the fans.  

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't disagree with you overall on over-valuing the roster.  No one has come here and with specificity (other than arbitrary, made up percentages) has told us HOW a good coach can help the team.  No one here really knows what impact a different coach will make.  Not a one.

However, it has become quite clear that along with major roster changes, there does need to be a coaching change.