Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

Off Season:   Expect a highly touted draft pick, a few free agent signings, a Skinner signing, a few trades, another Swede or two … .  Bots and PH are staying. 

Maybe Phil makes a change to his staff to help the PP. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I struggle to judge coaches because I have no exposure to what message is being delivered and little insight into what strategies are being implemented and adjusted.

Two things I can judge: The talent of the players versus the results on the ice; and the progress of individuals as the season progressed.

I perceive the Sabres talent level to be an 80-90 point team. I perceive Jack Eichel as a 90-point player, Sam Reinhart as a 70-point player, Jeff Skinner a 35-goal man, Bogosian, McCabe and Scandella as legitimate NHL defencemen, Ristolainen and Montour as 2/3 guys, Dahlin as an elite prospect, Mittelstadt as a potential 1st liner, Thompson and Ullmark as good NHL prospects and the rest of this season's regulars as basically replacement-level guys.

The Sabres are going to finish as a 75-point team with only Evan Rodrigues exceeding expectations. Outside of Evan, I can't pinpoint a player — Dahlin, maybe? — who is better now than he was in the fall.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I struggle to judge coaches because I have no exposure to what message is being delivered and little insight into what strategies are being implemented and adjusted.

Two things I can judge: The talent of the players versus the results on the ice; and the progress of individuals as the season progressed.

I perceive the Sabres talent level to be an 80-90 point team. I perceive Jack Eichel as a 90-point player, Sam Reinhart as a 70-point player, Jeff Skinner a 35-goal man, Bogosian, McCabe and Scandella as legitimate NHL defencemen, Ristolainen and Montour as 2/3 guys, Dahlin as an elite prospect, Mittelstadt as a potential 1st liner, Thompson and Ullmark as good NHL prospects and the rest of this season's regulars as basically replacement-level guys.

The Sabres are going to finish as a 75-point team with only Evan Rodrigues exceeding expectations. Outside of Evan, I can't pinpoint a player — Dahlin, maybe? — who is better now than he was in the fall.

I'd add that Skinner was not a regular 35g man and your expectation is high, therefore he exceeds the expectation.

8 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'd add that Skinner was not a regular 35g man and your expectation is high, therefore he exceeds the expectation.

Same with Reinhart. He may get to 70 once maybe twice in his career. But I think he’s a 50-60 point guy. Which is awesome considering what he looked like 3 years ago! He’s developed nicely. One of my favorites on the team.

11 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Maybe, but not by much. He's averaged 31 goals per 82 games played, most of those with supbar centres.

15 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Well that's the problem. Should have hired a more experienced coach for an inexperienced team. He shouldn't need to "grow". I was supportive of hiring Phil but now I'm very doubtful. How many seasons do we give him to "grow"? Also "great players" don't necessarily make good coaches.

Edited by Radar
  • Like (+1) 3

Since JB made his statement, the Sabres have gone 3-12-2 (including just 1 regulation win and 12 regulation losses.)  I can't imagine that Jason was expecting things to go that badly (they went 6-10-1 in the previous 17, including 4 regulation wins, which is still bad, but not that bad.)

1 hour ago, carpandean said:

Since JB made his statement, the Sabres have gone 3-12-2 (including just 1 regulation win and 12 regulation losses.)  I can't imagine that Jason was expecting things to go that badly (they went 6-10-1 in the previous 17, including 4 regulation wins, which is still bad, but not that bad.)

great observation!  It's frying pan to fire....so to speak. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Always good insight.  Agree with all but Dahlin.  My observation is he is the same.  Flashes of greatness from the outset but mistakes continue to pile up in his own D-zone.  I took his stats and split them for the first 39 games and the last 39.   Takeaway improved.  +/- is worse.   As you might expect.   Nothing jumps out either way.  

Dahlin.thumb.JPG.6139d24f388ddb186ee799e02f8dc807.JPG

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

i think u have on slightly rose colored glasses. i agree about eichel and dahlin and skinner...but they are already playing well. reinhardt isnt a 70 point player and is waaaaay too soft. The other guys havent proven a damn thing.But of course we dont really know how bad the players on this team are unless we get a different coach in here to coach them.

Still a mystery how any collection of players can fall off the cliff so quickly. Its never been done before--esp without any major key injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, Thorny said:

57 point pace since the streak (50 games). 

164 point pace during the streak and an 87 point pace prior to it and an 87pt pace thru 60games.

In 10 game segments:

1) 10/4-10/25 ...12pts

2) 10/27-11/17...14pts

3) 11/19-12/8...12pts

4) 12/11-12/31...10pts

5) 1/3-1/30...8pts

6) 2/1-2/21...8pts

7) 2/23-3/14....5pts

8 3/16-4/2....2pts so far(only 6 games played in this segment)

And if they were to miraculously win out the last six games....end up with 83pts, right about where we thought they'd be.

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again