Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

You're still tryin to sell this, huh?

You should really go back and watch the streak games. There were more that a few, "Oh, my God, I can't believe that didn't go in!" moments.

All year it's been suspect. Even when we were winning.

When was the last time I mentioned goaltending?

The defense is a colossal disaster yet goaltending is tied for 16th in team save percentage. 

Blame goaltending all you want. This team is underachieving and that is the responsibility of the head coach. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think it was at least 3 games the goal-tending was said to be accounted for.  If we had those three games we'd be up one position in the conference at 11 with 77 pts and we'd be talking about the possibility of a heroic push for a spot.

Because no other team has lost games because of a poor goaltender outing. 

At the end of the 10 game win streak, the Sabres were 2nd in the league in team save percentage. 

Tank comparable record ever since with  much more talent. I'm sorry, blame the level of talent all you want, it is substantially better than the tank years and yet they're losing just as often. This is on the coach. You can sugarcoat it all you want, it's not going to change the fact. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH
  • Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

When was the last time I mentioned goaltending?

The defense is a colossal disaster yet goaltending is tied for 16th in team save percentage. 

Blame goaltending all you want. This team is underachieving and that is the responsibility of the head coach. 

February 27th. ?

I honestly don't think our defense is a disaster. 

3 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

At the end of the 10 game win streak, the Sabres were 2nd in the league in team save percentage. 

Tank comparable record ever since with  much more talent. I'm sorry, blame the level of talent all you want, it is substantially better than the tank years and yet they're just as often. This is on the coach. You can sugarcoat it all you want, it's not going to change the fact. 

No sugarcoating going on,… also finding hit hard to disagree with any of this.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

February 27th. ?

You're entitled to your opinion. I just think you have a hard time accepting what the role of a modern day coach is supposed to be. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

February 27th. ?

And I don't think our defense is a disaster either. I'm just going by the general consensus. That doesn't negate the fact our goaltending isn't as bad as people think either. 

And I'm glad you remember what I did three weeks ago. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. shappy_rolleyes_100-100.gif?w=20&h=20

Edited by JJFIVEOH
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

You're entitled to your opinion. I just think you have a hard time accepting what the role of a modern day coach is supposed to be. 

If you could fill in the gaps, that'd be helpful. 

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, but it is a sign that he hasn't lost the team.  I was at the game in Raleigh and they  played some very good minutes.  2 bad goals by Ullmark and a missed open net by Sheary (plus a missed break away by ERod) cost us the game.

By that logic no coach has ever lost a team in the NHL because I'm pretty sure no coach has ever lost every single game.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Tank comparable record ever since with  much more talent. I'm sorry, blame the level of talent all you want, it is substantially better than the tank years and yet they're just as often. This is on the coach. You can sugarcoat it all you want, it's not going to change the fact. 

God Bless you JJ! Nailed it! (in my opinion anyhow)

On 3/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

NYI has better defensive personnel and Trotz is a great coach.  They said what is Hitch doing for Edm. Nothing.  Sometimes the roster isn’t good enough.

right on. hitch proves it at least re edmonton

23 hours ago, SwampD said:

You're still tryin to sell this, huh?

You should really go back and watch the streak games. There were more that a few, "Oh, my God, I can't believe that didn't go in!" moments.

All year it's been suspect. Even when we were winning.

With that said, it's not our biggest issue. We just can't score.

Isn't he the guy who thought that 2006-2010 Miller was just ok?

Is something lost in the shuffle here when Housley is defended? Botterill made a nice trade at the deadline, and the Sabres responded by continuing their collapse. They were "only" six points out at the time. Should Phil not be held to account? Where was the push that could have been a sign that Phil has a future here?

I saw on Twitter that some dudes at TSN were saying the best spot for Quenneville (sp?) to land would be Buffalo.

FFS. Make it happen. 

Maybe the team would still stink out loud. But I think there's a good chance they'd be markedly improved.

• Like (+1) 1

By the way there is only one coach in modern NHL history that has won a Cup with more then one franchise.  His name is Scotty Bowman.  

JQ may or may not be an upgrade over PH, but JQ failed before going to Chicago.  In Chicago he had a roster of Kane, Hosea, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp and many others.  That isn’t what we have right now in Buffalo.  

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

By the way there is only one coach in modern NHL history that has won a Cup with more then one franchise.  His name is Scotty Bowman.  

JQ may or may not be an upgrade over PH, but JQ failed before going to Chicago.  In Chicago he had a roster of Kane, Hosea, Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp and many others.  That isn’t what we have right now in Buffalo.  

This is startling — on top of the suggestion Babcock wouldn't necessarily have had better results than Phil.

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I saw on Twitter that some dudes at TSN were saying the best spot for Quenneville (sp?) to land would be Buffalo.

FFS. Make it happen. 

Maybe the team would still stink out loud. But I think there's a good chance they'd be markedly improved.

The only argument against Q is that I can't spell his name. Hell, I struggle with Botterrill.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

This is startling — on top of the suggestion Babcock wouldn't necessarily have had better results than Phil.

The only argument against Q is that I can't spell his name. Hell, I struggle with Botterrill.

Why is it startling?  I look at all these “great” coaches who win a Cup and then look at the roster.  I find all these coaches failed at one or more stops and then when they get on a team with a great roster they win a Cup or two.  What has Babcock done once his HOFers got old and started retiring?  JQ is gone from Chicago after winning 3 Cups.  Why?  His talent aged and the depth on his team was lost because of the salary cap. Did JQ suddenly become a bad coach?  No; his roster wasn’t great anymore and he stopped winning. 

IMHO coaches can take a very good team and maybe make it great, like Trotz did in Washington.  However, no coach can take the incomplete roster we have and make it great or even very good.  Take Hitch in Edm this season for example. 

What is startling is the impatience here in Year 2 of the finally proper rebuild of the Sabres.  PH and Jbot are far from perfect, but they are better than TM and Disco Dan.  I get that we should be further along in this rebuild that started in 2013, but this was a decimated organization that Jbot was charged to fix.  Just to give you a feel, until Nylander was recalled,   Jbot and TM had the same number of draftees playing for the Sabres...... 2. DR has 5, 3 from the 2012 draft alone.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The only argument against Q is that I can't spell his name.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Q! That's all you need.

Can he do the things that this Q could do? Sign him up!!!

31623437-8CFD-44B5-BBCE-1D6E0D3EF6A7.jpeg

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not sure there are “great” coaches or “bad” coaches at the NHL level, only good and bad fits.

See, I'm positive there are great coaches and bad coaches at the NHL level. The fit argument you present simply explains performance vacillations among the great swath of mediocre coaches in the NHL.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

IMHO coaches can take a very good team and maybe make it great, like Trotz did in Washington.  However, no coach can take the incomplete roster we have and make it great or even very good.  Take Hitch in Edm this season for example. 

Look at what Babcock did with the 2015-16 Leafs, they were ranked 14th in Total Corsi at 51.35 and they were designed to finish 30th. 

That team out possessed their opponents many a night, however they could not score or make a save. 

And they scored one less goal then the Sabres that year. 

Once more talented players came on the roster, they were a playoff team. 

Does Housley have a playoff caliber roster, no but he does have the talent to be in the race right now. 

The question does need to be asked once the Sabres do field a playoff caliber roster is Housley the right coach for it?  

Edited by Brawndo