Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

On 2/27/2019 at 7:09 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

Oft times Sabres fans gripe about having a couple of aging vets because they are too slow. But, some physical mid 30's guys who have been around the block, who can lead, who can hit and who can play the PK are valuable.

You're describing Kyle Okposo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

You're describing Kyle Okposo.

Okposo doesn't play the PK.  Would rather see the corpse of Pominville on PK than Kyle.  Skinner & Reinhart too.  Which puts Kyle at best at 10th on the PK depth chart.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Okposo doesn't play the PK.  Would rather see the corpse of Pominville on PK than Kyle.  Skinner & Reinhart too.  Which puts Kyle at best at 10th on the PK depth chart.

One detail off but basically that's what he brings.

Your comment brings something out though- Reinhart and ERod are becoming "that guy."  They're nowhere near their 30s yet, but each year they've increasingly physical, and responsible with the puck.  Reino usually play the PK but could if need be, but Rodrigues does.

Just now, JJFIVEOH said:

I'll take P-Ville for two more years over Okposo any day.

Agreed.  At least Pominville puts up some numbers.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

One detail off but basically that's what he brings.

Your comment brings something out though- Reinhart and ERod are becoming "that guy."  They're nowhere near their 30s yet, but each year they've increasingly physical, and responsible with the puck.  Reino usually play the PK but could if need be, but Rodrigues does.

Agreed.  At least Pominville puts up some numbers.

I think Tavares made Okposo (and Moulson) look good. P-Ville is just quietly good. He has 2-3 decent years left in him. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, IrwinNelson said:

Not usually a big fan of diebytheblade, but here’s a decent article about Housley and some of his faults. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2019/3/4/18249441/concerns-about-the-buffalo-sabres-head-coach-continue-to-pile-up-phil-housley

Looks flawed and grasping for something not there, IMO.

10 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Not usually a big fan of diebytheblade, but here’s a decent article about Housley and some of his faults. 

https://www.diebytheblade.com/platform/amp/2019/3/4/18249441/concerns-about-the-buffalo-sabres-head-coach-continue-to-pile-up-phil-housley

Thanks for posting that! Great article and I believe it to be accurate. Good analysis of Phil's shortcomings and good post articles comments by fans as well. Again, another ex-Sabre who looks like they are fitting in and contributing quite nicely with their new club- Nathan Beaulieu in this case.

11 hours ago, IrwinNelson said:

Housley has a good system, but he's not able to deploy it properly. He's not head coach material.

Edited by LGR4GM

Is there any data out there on defensive pairings/combinations relative to league average?  Because it seems that PH changes far too frequently instead of keeping consistency.   Injuries and call ups notwithstanding.  I even see mid-game changes that are puzzling.   

Edited by Broken Ankles

19 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Housley is an idiot. Scandella with Risto was bound to fail. He just makes the wrong decision constantly. 

I would agree that Housley's player usage has been consistently bad.  I think it exceeds simple subjective bias at this point.

Like an overwhelming majority of informed fans would agree that Housley's decisions have mostly been bad or wrong, as measured against some objective criteria.

The thing is there is no way Pegula sees that or understands that.  So you have no idea to know what he is thinking, and whatever he is thinking is limited to whatever his most trusted advisor is telling him.  That most trusted advisor might well be one of his daughters for all I know.

Just got done watching that embarrassing effort against the AVS.

Phyllis needs to turn in his Sabres panties and be fired NOW.

I have been willing to give him a chance until now.  The team plays like pussies and they outright quit tonight.

Pegulas need to step in and let the team know this is UNACCEPTABLE.

4 minutes ago, Ogrish said:

Just got done watching that embarrassing effort against the AVS.

Phyllis needs to turn in his Sabres panties and be fired NOW.

I have been willing to give him a chance until now.  The team plays like pussies and they outright quit tonight.

Pegulas need to step in and let the team know this is UNACCEPTABLE.

I can see terrance doing nothing.  Only way if the attendance drops and more booing continues 

Edited by Jacque Richard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

I can see terrance doing nothing.  Only way if the attendance drops and more booing continues 

I don’t know that for certain. I know many people believe it though.

As a Redskins fan, attendance this year was atrocious and embarrassing. The fans are beyond outraged, they’re apathetic. The Skins won their season opener this past year (dominated).... and returned home to play the Colts in their home opener. The stadium was half empty and half of the filled seats were Colts fans. Colts fans!!!! They don’t travel like Steelers/Packers. It never got any better through the year, it got worse. Even when they were 6-3 and going into divisional games. I’ve seen it bad before.... right before we hired Gibbs and also Jim Zorn. But this level is unprecedented.

And yet, Snyder continues to tune out the fans and media. Believing that he knows better than anyone else. Trumpeting a message that they’re close... 

At this point, fans are hoping Snyder just moves the team. And the city can start over as an expansion. That’s how bad it is.

I didn’t think it could get as bad as last year. And now I know it’s going to get even worse this year.

So I’m not sure what the breaking point is any more.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

And yet they're less offensive than mentions of Terry and today's game.

Redskin is pretty offensive...especially if they’re referring to your family members...there was this big attempt at genocide that was apparently only taught in my high school...?

I can't anymore with him. His lineup decisions alone are shockingly awful. There's just no accountability and that starts with a coach holding players going rogue accountable. But housley just keeps rolling out Scandella and Sobotka. 

I get the roster has issues, but he couldn't maximize a computer window let alone his current players. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Haha (+1) 1