Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, Jacque Richard said:

Why is Boston always a tough physical team, players come and go there. Sabres are a bunch of lightweights. Nothing changes.

And to think, Sabres fans were talking about trading Ristolainen. Outside of him the Sabres have Bogo. That's it. 

There is no question the Sabres are in need of a bonafide 2C, but they also need some aging veterans who can throw people around. Oft times Sabres fans gripe about having a couple of aging vets because they are too slow. But, some physical mid 30's guys who have been around the block, who can lead, who can hit and who can play the PK are valuable. Sabres fans fans don't like them because they aren't fast. But they bring the intangibles that nobody in their 20's can bring. And most of these mid 30's veterans will do it for cheap. They don't all have to be fast, veterans know where to place themselves where they don't have to be fast to contribute to a play. 

Up until this year when he got hurt, 37 year old Derek MacKenzie was a PERFECT example of a captain for the Panthers. He wasn't fast, he didn't score a lot, but he busted his ass every single night and always spoke up to the young guys on how to improve their game. A great fourth liner. We've got a great fourth line, but it's not a leader type fourth line. Sorry, Girgensons and Larsson are no Derek MacKenzie. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Is Phil Housley the coach of this team because he is an ex-Sabre who is in the HOF?  Or is he here "on merit?"

Phil and Jason have been running the show here for something like 150 games now...and in one of the most important games of the year, the team shows up flat, gives an inconsistent effort, and when we fall behind, any sense of structured teamwork breaks down and it becomes individuals doing individual things.  Eichel shines at that in particular. 

I think Jason likes Phil and Phil will be the coach of this team starting next season.  This ***** show will not improve until Phil is gone.  So be prepared for more frustration.

Well, he's here on merit, and anyone who remembers his hiring will agree.  It was all about how wonderful he was with the Nashville D, etc.

Has it been ten days since the Botterill interview yet?  That appears to be the magic number.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Well, he's here on merit, and anyone who remembers his hiring will agree.  It was all about how wonderful he was with the Nashville D, etc.

Has it been ten days since the Botterill interview yet?  That appears to be the magic number.

I believe the magic number is 3...

I like Botts,, but if he sticks with Housley after this season I will begin to question him.  It's not working.  Phil coached the team to dead last place last season and they weren't supposed to be that awful.  This year's club has a nice core of players and he's coaching them into the toilet...again.  Whatever his tactics are,,scheme, strategy, etc.. is not working. He doesn't have the ability to push the right buttons.   Geez, even Lehner and O'Reilly leave this staff and suddenly they get mentally "right" again.  

After the season, find a new coach..and get a better goaltender too.  Our goalies get outplayed by the opponents goalie way too often.  I have some hope for Linus that he will improve in the future.   Yes, defense too...but they will have to get a new coach to get the D corrected I think.  

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres are officially as close to the 5th overall pick than they are to the playoffs. This season is over. It’s time to look forward to the offseason and maybe pick a team or two out west to root for.

Edited by Hoss

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

The Sabres are officially as close to the 5th overall pick than they are to the playoffs. This season is over. It’s time to look forward to the offseason and maybe pick a team or two out west to root for.

The official Nathan Blow-u fan club 

23 hours ago, zow2 said:

I like Botts,, but if he sticks with Housley after this season I will begin to question him.  It's not working.  Phil coached the team to dead last place last season and they weren't supposed to be that awful.  This year's club has a nice core of players and he's coaching them into the toilet...again.  Whatever his tactics are,,scheme, strategy, etc.. is not working. He doesn't have the ability to push the right buttons.   Geez, even Lehner and O'Reilly leave this staff and suddenly they get mentally "right" again.  

After the season, find a new coach..and get a better goaltender too.  Our goalies get outplayed by the opponents goalie way too often.  I have some hope for Linus that he will improve in the future.   Yes, defense too...but they will have to get a new coach to get the D corrected I think.  

Are you sure about this? Or is it that of talent in the forwards position not scoring enough to win games? Is our D deficient enough to make our goalies look bad?

Sure, our tenders let in a bad goal now and again, can't deny that as all goalies do at times. Are our Dmen clearing the front of the net or are they chasing opponents to the point and back and forth? are our forwards supporting the D? Or are the opposing goalies inspired before the game because they know they can easily boost their numbers for the evening while the Sabres forwards not named Skinner or Jack will shoot the puck and miss the net or hit their crest? Better yet, just give the puck away.

Guess what I'm getting at is that there is a lot more work to do in all aspects of the game. There have been quite a few times where I actually felt bad for the goalie because he was making the saves but the team in front of him was playing like crap as usual.

JBott needs to make improvements for sure to the roster before we will see what we've been waiting so long for.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, zow2 said:

I forgot about responding to this part.....

A good number of the players on last years team are not even in the NHL this year and its been talked about on here a lot. So what did you expect from that roster other than maybe a Ted Nolan  team (especially seeing his son was on the roster). Housley wasn't given the tools to succeed last year. Then we got rid of ROR and Kane while bringing in Sheary and Skinner. Let go of Lehner and got Hutton. In your opinion did we get better or worse or relatively the same? Depending on how you feel about the moves we made, did we give HCPH the tools to be that much better this year? Think about switching out players like Sobotka for Nolan or such on the roster.

Over and out. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is fantastic.

There should be another banner saying something like "Only 5 more years to go until this plan really comes together"

Too wordy?

I came by this on FB, so don't have the file to edit, unfortunately.  But it is brilliant.

Listening to PH, OR ***** PAUL HAMILTON FOR THOSE WHO SOMEHOW AUTOMATICALLY THINK PH IS PHIL HOUSLEY EVEN THOUGH WEVE BEEN CALLING PAUL HAMITON PH FOR A DECADE, breakdown his take on a coaching change was just about the most annoying radio you can find. Listen to the 2nd hour or the Hamilton segment.

He whines incessantly, what are you gonna do, change the coach every two years? Hey Paul, if they suck, then yes. Then you fire the guy hiring the coaches cuz he sucks too. ***** ain't rocket surgery. 

If Pegula didn’t have all the issues with the bills contracts (Rex Ryan)  he might have fired housley by now.

6 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is fantastic.

There should be another banner saying something like "Only 5 more years to go until this plan really comes together"

Too wordy?

Shouldn’t complain here. Lol.

7 hours ago, SwampD said:

This is the only schoolhouse jam that matters. Complete with steel drum solo.

And who knew that Eleven's last name was Twelve?

Brought to you by the same people that also gave us "Just say no".

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Brought to you by the same people that also gave us "Just say no".

To bring this full circle, I’m going to just say no to firing Phil.

At least not until we have a roster that matters.

Also, nfw it happens. Bylsma is still getting paid until the end of next season ffs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2019 at 5:09 AM, JJFIVEOH said:

And to think, Sabres fans were talking about trading Ristolainen. Outside of him the Sabres have Bogo. That's it. 

There is no question the Sabres are in need of a bonafide 2C, but they also need some aging veterans who can throw people around. Oft times Sabres fans gripe about having a couple of aging vets because they are too slow. But, some physical mid 30's guys who have been around the block, who can lead, who can hit and who can play the PK are valuable. Sabres fans fans don't like them because they aren't fast. But they bring the intangibles that nobody in their 20's can bring. And most of these mid 30's veterans will do it for cheap. They don't all have to be fast, veterans know where to place themselves where they don't have to be fast to contribute to a play. 

Up until this year when he got hurt, 37 year old Derek MacKenzie was a PERFECT example of a captain for the Panthers. He wasn't fast, he didn't score a lot, but he busted his ass every single night and always spoke up to the young guys on how to improve their game. A great fourth liner. We've got a great fourth line, but it's not a leader type fourth line. Sorry, Girgensons and Larsson are no Derek MacKenzie. 

I completely agree.You said it better than I have been saying it. The toughest,most sound players are often well into their 30s.

• Like (+1) 1