Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

23 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

He also said the players need to grow, mature and figure out how to win themselves.

He's pleased with the progression of competitiveness he's seen, the coaching staffs communication with the players.

He said they are working on bettering the roster long term and if no deals happen this week they will continue to work to that end over the coming months.

Skinner talks continue.

So in short, figure it out Jack & company, your on your own this season.

In moments like this, you have to distinguish between what Botterill is saying publicly in his position as GM of the team, and what he is thinking about and talking about privately behind closed doors with the Pegulas in the room.

If he is genuinely content with the "development" made this season and thinks things are, more or less, on pace, it may be time to throw him in the trash along with Housley.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

In moments like this, you have to distinguish between what Botterill is saying publicly in his position as GM of the team, and what he is thinking about and talking about privately behind closed doors with the Pegulas in the room.

If he is genuinely content with the "development" made this season and thinks things are, more or less, on pace, it may be time to throw him in the trash along with Housley.

Not only do I firmly believe Botterill holds these things he's said as true, I also believe in that interview he directly addressed the fans.

His message?

"Suck it up buttercups because this is the plan".

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

He also said the players need to grow, mature and figure out how to win themselves.

He's pleased with the progression of competitiveness he's seen, the coaching staffs communication with the players.

He said they are working on bettering the roster long term and if no deals happen this week they will continue to work to that end over the coming months.

Skinner talks continue.

So in short, figure it out Jack & company, your on your own this season.

I can't tell if it is because I like this approach or because I think it is correct but honestly, Botts isn't wrong. Maybe his sink or swim with what you got will make it clear it is up to the players. 

Also, saying Housley isn't leaving firms up his authority in the room. 

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can't tell if it is because I like this approach or because I think it is correct but honestly, Botts isn't wrong. Maybe his sink or swim with what you got will make it clear it is up to the players. 

When I saw that, and it was clear he's taking the tough love approach, my initial instinct was that I'm not turned-off by that approach in theory. The ramifications of such an approach will fill this board for the next year, easily.  It's an extension of Darcy's "suffering".

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yep. The players are going to have to learn to trust in one another, and that includes holding themselves accountable.

Botterill just said, you want the playoffs? Then go out and take the spot that gets you in, because no one is going to do it for you.

It honestly never should have come to this...…………………..not after the 10 game winning streak. And yet, here we, and they, are.

18 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Remember when the Bills fired Wade Phillips because he couldn't take the team past the wild card game?

Similar situation, ain't it?

No.  But do remember his being fired for refusing to fire arguably the worst ST's coach in the history of the NFL.

How can the PP be this ineffective?  

Why do they refuse to put pucks on net and get traffic in front? 

On 2/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, Taro T said:

No.  But do remember his being fired for refusing to fire arguably the worst ST's coach in the history of the NFL.

I think that coach helped get Wades kid a spot on a college team. 

55 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I think this thread needs re-visiting. 

Is Phil Housley the coach of this team because he is an ex-Sabre who is in the HOF?  Or is he here "on merit?"

Phil and Jason have been running the show here for something like 150 games now...and in one of the most important games of the year, the team shows up flat, gives an inconsistent effort, and when we fall behind, any sense of structured teamwork breaks down and it becomes individuals doing individual things.  Eichel shines at that in particular. 

I think Jason likes Phil and Phil will be the coach of this team starting next season.  This ***** show will not improve until Phil is gone.  So be prepared for more frustration.

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Is Phil Housley the coach of this team because he is an ex-Sabre who is in the HOF?  Or is he here "on merit?"

Phil and Jason have been running the show here for something like 150 games now...and in one of the most important games of the year, the team shows up flat, gives an inconsistent effort, and when we fall behind, any sense of structured teamwork breaks down and it becomes individuals doing individual things.  Eichel shines at that in particular. 

I think Jason likes Phil and Phil will be the coach of this team starting next season.  This ***** show will not improve until Phil is gone.  So be prepared for more frustration.

It's frustrating that Botterill has so much confidence in Housley, because Housley should be an assistant coach. It's also frustrating that the Pegulas hired a rookie GM to be a yes man. This team has way too much talent to be where they are at this point. I've never been a fan of these gigantic contracts, but I have to admit, Eichel has matured and in the last few weeks has tried to carry the team on his shoulders. He's earning his money. It's unfortunate that the rest of the team just doesn't give a ***** and that is a reflection of the coach. 

I'm not going to look back, but somebody mentioned the Sabres have TEN first rounders on the ice, EIGHT of them were top 10 picks. If you put that kind of talent together, and you are 0-11 after one victory since mid-December......... that's either on the coach or the GM, or both. 

Before this year, only one team in NHL history has had a 10 game win streak and missed the playoffs. The Sabres are about to become the second. I didn't expect them to make the playoffs this year, but I didn't expect them to regress as the post-season nears. 

Hutton got yanked last game, can somebody tell me why he got the start again tonight? He had no chance on the 3rd goal, but those first two were weak. Get rid of him, he is 30+ years old and never been a starter for a reason. My 1B team (Panthers) are in the lead for picking up Bob during the offseason, but there is no reason BFLO can't be in the running. 

First thing I noticed when I came on the main page the normal headline "came out slow, sluggish start"

Why 3/4 of the way through Housley's 2nd season are we still struggling with our start to games and like at Toronto on Monday night we seem to switch off. Just not good enough and that is on Housley for me, should have the players prepared for every minute for every game. Those who don't put in the effort should sit, end off.