Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

On 2/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, Carmel Corn said:

Agree, a net front presence is PP 101 in my mind!  Tage needs to bulk up....feed that guy some bread and carbs for crying out loud!  That being said, I don't know if I've seen enough of TT's game to know if he has the knack for tips and deflections.  Sam is pretty good there and needs to continue.  Hell if the PP were so important, I'd get Thomas Vanek back just to camp out in front and do his magic as well.

These young guys dont eat bread and carbs, those things are poison! Apparently...

Theres a commercial here for either insurance or investments or something and it has 3 young NHL rookies in the lockerroom drinking Kale smoothies,  then the camera goes accross to a table with 3 vets (Doug Gilmore is one, think Mike Vernon another) and they have giant plates of spaghetti with a huge pepper grinder, and Gilmore looks over and says "Hey, dont you guys carb load anymore?"

On 2/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, LGR4GM said:

So you think we should fire a gm after 1.5 off seasons and 2 drafts? Seems a little harsh. 

Maybe we've had 5 bad coaches. Rolston was bad. Bylsma was bad. Nolan was fine but lacked any talent or sound system. Lindy was fine but maybe his system and style just got old. Housley... not sure but he doesn't look like he can get them all pulling the same direction. 

Yeah, it's not going to happen, Bots will be given time, I'm sure just like the Bill's, he was hired after giving them his long term slow rebuild plan that will provide a dynasty team who after a complete teardown, will compete for a long time. He came over from Pittsburgh so he must know their secret.

Housley may be shown the door before him though if it appears he really isnt cut out to be a HC. I bet that no playoffs this year puts him on a short leash next year if he doesnt have the team turned around.

33 minutes ago, ... said:

So, what if the Sabres' analytics dept. is inept and feeds the coaches flawed data and analyses? What then?

Oh good, whataboutism. 

I'll play... then Botterill should become aware of how they are calculating the metrics and analyzing it and if they are doing a crap job he can fire them. It is part of his job to oversee analytics and make sure they are doing things correctly. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I've cringed every time someone has spouted on about "Terry is a billionaire, he must be smart". I know plenty of people who got rich and I would consider dolts. Terry doesn't come across very cerebral. He seems like he just knows enough to be dangerous, mostly to himself. Unfortunately, the fans of his sports teams are also subject to this circumstance. 

People can be smart in some ways but not in others....just because a person is able to understand and see opportunities and take advantag of them oesn't necessarily mean they are smart in other areas.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So the guy with the most points on the team, is lazy? There's a narrative I don't believe. 62 points in 55 games and 9 more points than the next player on the team is "lazy"? He might have had an off game but there are very rare times where I have watched Eichel and thought "lazy". Not sure I can think of 1 this year. 

I could go through the video of the last game and clip quite a few instances where Jack's lack of urgency was rather apparent. When he has the puck he's very talented, perhaps also a bit arrogant (something I recall writing two years ago about him).  He's not lazy with the puck. He's lazy, at times, when he does not have the puck and he's expected to play defense.

His game is not at the level it was earlier in the season. Early on he was on bodies and taking pucks from people. He's back to playing a perimeter game, reaching, and not really putting forth the same effort.

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

I think this is a MAJOR problem moving forward which is why I think we need the right coach

Is it really safe to assume there is a coach who is going to change him?  If Eichel persists in this way then the right course of action is not to replace the coach. 

That said, I'm not at the point where I am 100% saying it is him. I think there are other issues. However, I do see instances where he's definitely not setting the example he has shown the ability to set.  That's my biggest problem at this point.

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh good, whataboutism. 

I'll play... then Botterill should become aware of how they are calculating the metrics and analyzing it and if they are doing a crap job he can fire them. It is part of his job to oversee analytics and make sure they are doing things correctly. 

80% of the conversations on this site are "whataboutism".  This one is no less valid.

If Phil and the coaching staff are making decisions based on flawed data and analysis then that fills in a lot of holes.

Alternately, if Phil is getting accurate data and analysis, does he grasp it all or does it make his head spin?  If so, then that fills a lot of holes, too.

I think this might be slightly more important of an issue than it seems.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh good, whataboutism. 

I'll play too....Botts should know all that goes on around the NHL, just like he should've known Berglund was gonna walk away from the team and 12Mil.

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

So the guy with the most points on the team, is lazy? There's a narrative I don't believe. 62 points in 55 games and 9 more points than the next player on the team is "lazy"? He might have had an off game but there are very rare times where I have watched Eichel and thought "lazy". Not sure I can think of 1 this year. 

Definitely not lazy, but he has been playing dumb.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Don't rule out that Jack might be playing at less than 100%.

Well, considering his play prior to the Boston game and his play since has been noticably different, there may just be something to that thought.

And though his play still isn't where it was, looks like he's been much closer to that earlier level the past 4 games than he was the prior 14.

5 hours ago, LTS said:

I could go through the video of the last game and clip quite a few instances where Jack's lack of urgency was rather apparent. When he has the puck he's very talented, perhaps also a bit arrogant (something I recall writing two years ago about him).  He's not lazy with the puck. He's lazy, at times, when he does not have the puck and he's expected to play defense.

His game is not at the level it was earlier in the season. Early on he was on bodies and taking pucks from people. He's back to playing a perimeter game, reaching, and not really putting forth the same effort.

Is it really safe to assume there is a coach who is going to change him?  If Eichel persists in this way then the right course of action is not to replace the coach. 

That said, I'm not at the point where I am 100% saying it is him. I think there are other issues. However, I do see instances where he's definitely not setting the example he has shown the ability to set.  That's my biggest problem at this point.

Bullseye.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SwampD said:

I guess the question is, why shouldn’t he be fired.

Which brings me back to 2009.

With whom are you going to replace him?  (And it's not going to be Quenneville, and he's not that great anyway.)

Revolving door.   

It revolves.  The Sabres fire and hire and fire and hire.

The roster is the problem.

Expecting to see a lot of action in this thread tonight/tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

With whom are you going to replace him?  (And it's not going to be Quenneville, and he's not that great anyway.)

Revolving door.   

20 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

The Sabres need to STOP hiring teachers as head coaches. I know I've said it before, but it hasn't worked each time they tried it. 

You're not wrong. We didn't know how good we had it back in the Lindy Ruff for life years

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

Expecting to see a lot of action in this thread tonight/tomorrow.

You're not wrong. We didn't know how good we had it back in the Lindy Ruff for life years

Remember when the Bills fired Wade Phillips because he couldn't take the team past the wild card game? 

Similar situation, ain't it?

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I said something similar in the GDT, but I think if we’re not past the point of no return, we are really getting close.  

The team looks completely lost.  This can’t be how it is every night for the rest of the season.  

The team really does look lost.  Isn't that a problem for the beginning of the season and not the end?

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Revolving door.   

Then maybe the people who compiled the roster need to go.

Housley should be replaced, but I agree he is not the sole problem, or even that his replacement will improve.

He still needs to go however.  He's not a very good HC.

Remember, firing Wowie would actually be a huge risk for JBotts. If he does fire him, and the rest of the season continues the current trend, guess who's head rolls next?

Even if Housley is a (or the) problem, JBott better be pretty damn sure that someone else can right the ship before letting Phil go.

Is Jason feeling lucky?

• Thanks (+1) 1