Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

On 2/3/2019 at 9:13 AM, TrueBlueGED said:

You honestly enjoyed watching the tank team? Different strokes for different folks indeed... 

I didn't enjoy watching the team tank. I enjoyed watching them have heart when they had absolutely no talent. It was what got them through the finals under Nolan. Of course Hasek helped, but you can't admit Nolan made each team he coached the hardest working bunch. 

On 2/2/2019 at 7:25 PM, Pimlach said:

No.  Not really like Ted.  More tactical and someone more current in NHL. 

That's what assistants are for. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

The follow up is important.

I think we would reasonably expect more nuance to Phil's approach here, but the record doesn't support the existence of nuance.

This is really not a good narrative for Phil.

Again, he keeps making decisions that make no sense and then he tries to defend them with backwards logic or no logic at all. Telling the fans that a goalie that had a sub .900 sv% but won is better than a goalie with .963 sv% who lost is completely illogical. If your schedule has Hutton starting, you change the schedule. He clearly has not been good. 

Add on to that the complete and utter collapse of the defense. It is a disaster and again, we come back to a coach that seems over his head. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, he keeps making decisions that make no sense and then he tries to defend them with backwards logic or no logic at all. Telling the fans that a goalie that had a sub .900 sv% but won is better than a goalie with .963 sv% who lost is completely illogical. If your schedule has Hutton starting, you change the schedule. He clearly has not been good. 

Add on to that the complete and utter collapse of the defense. It is a disaster and again, we come back to a coach that seems over his head. 

There is no denying that this is all how it appears.

At least as far as Phil goes.  It doesn't help the performance of the team is wildly inconsistent.  I wonder if his weaknesses as a coach are affecting the  players' motivation.  

14 minutes ago, Weave said:

Or he refuses to show his hand.

Im assuming he’s not a moron and there are things in play that he wouldn’t want to divulge.

But he could be a moron.

i want to believe this angle.

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

Or he refuses to show his hand.

Im assuming he’s not a moron and there are things in play that he wouldn’t want to divulge.

But he could be a moron.

So you say "Hutton was scheduled for that game and I wanted to give him a chance at a rebound after Columbus. Going forward we may need to look at who's going well in order to get good starts and strong GT." 

Instead we got Hutton went because he won... it is like SV% isn't a thing. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

So you say "Hutton was scheduled for that game and I wanted to give him a chance at a rebound after Columbus. Going forward we may need to look at who's going well in order to get good starts and strong GT." 

Instead we got Hutton went because he won... it is like SV% isn't a thing. 

If it is an untruth anyway, who cares what was said?

Edited by Weave

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

If it is an untruth anyway, who cares what was said?

It matters a great deal when trying to ascertain the intelligence of the individual doing the lie. It shouldn't have been hard to come up with a suitable excuse. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It matters a great deal when trying to ascertain the intelligence of the individual doing the lie. It shouldn't have been hard to come up with a suitable excuse. 

I think they call that confirmation bias.  ?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure, but you were doing the same thing so... 

Probably, but I think that a guy working in the peak of his profession is likely not a moron operating below the level of iphone coaches, and I also am not attempting to dissect his quotes.

Maybe that is confirmation bias. Maybe it’s just giving a guy who’s better informed than Me the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

Probably, but I think that a guy working in the peak of his profession is likely not a moron operating below the level of iphone coaches, and I also am not attempting to dissect his quotes.

Maybe that is confirmation bias. Maybe it’s just giving a guy who’s better informed than Me the benefit of the doubt.

It didn't take someone better informed to know that you should start Ullmark over Hutton last game. Trying to explain it away by talking about wins v losses is the type of thing an iPhone coach would do. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you want Bylsma hockey? Cause that's what we'd have right now with either one of them (both benefitting from great goaltending this year by the way).

I would never confuse Julien or Trotz (two great coaches going way beyond the merits of this season in particular) with Dan Bylsma, who is terrible.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

I would never confuse Julien or Trotz (two great coaches going way beyond the merits of this season in particular) with Dan Bylsma, who is terrible.

When Crosby was out Bylsma shifted the Penguins to a close checking style to win games. We were offensively challenged and so he did the same thing here. Boring hockey trying to win 1-0 or 2-1. ROR liked it (until we lost too often). Julien was fired from Boston for doing the same damn thing. Cassidy opened up their game and used the D in the attack and what is a fairly offensively challenged team went on to win more by scoring a lot more. Same reason Trotz was moved out of Nashville and would have been fired (contract expired but not renewed) if he hadn't won the cup in Washington, where they still didn't think he was worth the big bucks. With the Isles losing Tavares, he was a perfect fit to tighten up a team that would no longer score as much but have you seen them play? BORING!

I think their styles are somewhat archaic and both of those guys are benefitting from superb goaltending this year. Price is rejuvenated, and Lehner V2 has been what Murray thought he'd be here. If they coached here, you wouldn't like it, it's not what we're building, which is a much more dynamic and entertaining style. Once we have enough talent to finish more plays and put the puck into the net you will be praising it and loving it. It is the future. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, SDS said:

Assuming Housley is the disaster you claim, is he a static entity unable to get better at his job after two years?

He's not a disaster. He makes bad personnel decisions and favors his veterans far more than he should. He also is not good at holding the team accountable and says far too often after a loss that he thought they did ok. 

His breakouts from the defensive zone are fairly well constructed. The cycle and puck pressure in the offensive zone is good. I think he is a forward thinking coach who wants a modern style of play. 

• Like (+1) 1

He wants everyone to play a 200 foot game. It’s not easy given the guys he has. They are improvig despite the losses.  Sometimes they click, sometimes they dont and sometimes their gaffs make you want to pull your hair out.  That last goal before empty netter was one of those.  They played well against a very good goalie who had a very good game. Had a couple bad shifts that ended up in the back of the net.... it was frustrating.  At least now they have two lines working, need a third line and another D.  Pommer, Sobtka and KO need to be replaced for the Sabres to take the next step. 

Edited by North Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

He wants everyone to play a 200 foot game. It’s not easy given the guys he has. They are improvig despite the losses.  Sometimes they click, sometimes they dont and sometimes their gaffs make you want to pull your hair out.  That last goal was one of those.  They played well against a very good goalie who hada very good game. Had a couple bad shifts that ended up in the back of the net.... it was frustrating.  At least now they have two lines working, need a third line and another D.  Pommer, Sobtka and KO need to be replaced for the Sabres to take the next step. 

And this happens repeatedly and typically from the same suspects. I watched Scandella over the weekend pass the puck directly to the other team 5 times that I took note of. 2 of those passes occurred in our zone. He just got the puck and promptly dished it away and yet, Scandella stays in the lineup game after game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Scandella stay because no one else is ready.... Need another D to replace him... not on this roster yet. Maybe Borgen...

I would take Bealieu or Hunwick over Scandella of late. Also, Pilut sat at one point so Scandella could continue. 

Borgen is a RHD so no he is not going to replace Scandella. 

Left side:

Dahlin (who has had a rough couple games.)

McCabe

Pilut

Hunwick

Bealieu

There are at least 2 extra left side options other than Scandella and sitting him for a game is completely justified at this junction. They don't because he is a veteran and they like his shot from the point. 

• Like (+1) 1