Phil Housley should be fired.

LGR4GM

the team seemed to give up tonight late in the game. After we pulled within one i think everyone here felt a comeback. But then that weak goal puts them up by 2 & after that it was like the life fell outta them. That was the 1st time this season i felt the players gave up on a game. Not a good sign when youre supposedly fighting for a playoff spot.

We had tons of giveaways tonight which has been a recurring theme. We hear all the time housley saying that we need to just put pucks on the net & play a simple game, but our players never seem to be doing that consistently. Idk who takes the blame for all that.

Line wise i dont know how much any coach could do. Do you bring one of the guys from the 3rd line to the 2nd, 4th to the 3rd? You're just moving crap around. We dont have much to work with besides from our top line & maybe Mitts & Thompson. So that leads us to what we've been saying all season long, we need better forwards.

We have games when we're totally out playing & dominating the other team but the pucks just dont go in the net. I dont think the problem really is the system & i havent heard one player allude to that either. They need to just play a more simple game & not turn the puck over. Crash the net, set up screens & work the D. I would like to see some fire from Housley tho. When a player turns the puck over, get in his face & show him thats unacceptable. Idk what else he can do other than that.

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't think Phil will be fired, nor should he be at this point.

The roster still has too many big holes to fairly judge him.  I think JBOT feels the same way about his first big hire.  Firing Phil now, or even at the end of this season, smacks of desperation.

I agree Phil will not be fired and that there are holes in the roster. However I have a slightly different theory.

If JBott fires Phil that only leaves himself to get the axe next. Instead JBott will try to fill those holes and then let Phil show what he can do. Thing is Phil will fail with “upgrades” added because, well, not everyone is destined to be a head coach. JBott knows this.

After not showing any major improvements (missing the playoffs) next year, Phil gets replaced. The new HC/GM tandem then get a year to show the highers they have everything under control. This makes the 2020/2021 season a sink or swim period for JBott. 

If the Sabres make the playoffs he is safe. If not he gets fired but JBott still benefits.

1. He will have had four years experience as a GM. 

2. His tactic will have secured his job for the next two years following the 2018/2019 season.

3. Executing multiple trades, drafting, and developing successfully (debatable?) provide positive optics.

4. The team has performed better than under GMTM. I know this is debatable to some people.

So what is the point? JBott will not lose sleep over inability to take the Sabres to the playoffs. This is his first time as the head honcho and at the same time trying to make a horrible team into a playoff team. He stole Skinner, lured an assistant coach from a successful team to be his HC, made some improvements resulting in said horrible team to become middle of the pack. He also got a franchise player to extend full term, greatly enhanced goaltending and will add to his accomplishments during the offseason. JBott knows he is on the clock so he is doing his job for two reasons. Try to make the playoffs but build his resume for when the inevitable happens.

I guess what I’m saying in this essay of a post is JBott is setting the stage for himself as much as he is the franchise. Therefore he is/has/will do things which may help the team but more importantly prolong his stay in order to build said resume. Problem for the fans is he will likely go the safe route on moves with no big waves because the big risk may result in his firing before he can solidify his appeal to other teams. 

As much as I hate to say it. This is theatre we are watching. If Skinner had cost more than what we gave do you think JBott would have executed the trade? Say Sam for Skinner. I think not because that would’ve been higher risk and if Skinner didn’t light it up like he is we would be even worse in the standings. JBott will then have failed in coach department and big move department.

I do apologize for the length and am just having some fun with this conspiracy theory.

• Like (+1) 1

If there are no playoffs this year I think Phil is under intense scrutiny.   The streak tells you this team has ability,  despite  the many holes on the roster.   The fall off in play has to be accounted for, and usually it’s the coach, especially if we free fall. 

I top notch, cup winning coach is out there, and that cannot be ignored. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

I can't believe their next game is Tuesday, further making me scratch my head about the ridiculous "bye week" in hockey. Why have a bye week when you regularly have 4-5 day breaks?  NHL gonna NHL. 

Also, this place is going to turn into a burning cauldron of filth by Tuesday. This fan base is way too fragile to have to sit on a loss like that for 4 days.  

• Thanks (+1) 2

I really have no idea whether PH is a good or bad coach, but I do think this team is full of players that have not developed, never will develop or are past their prime (i.e., Girgensons, Larsson, Elie, Sobotka, Okposo and Scandella).  Mittelsadt has had a very disappointing season, exposing our weakness at center after Eichel, and I do not think that Reinhart is playing like what would be expected from a second overall pick in the draft.  I am not sure a different coach could do much better with the current roster.

Edited by jahnyc
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

I didn't expect the Sabres to be a playoff team this year. But they had a 10 game win streak. They're about to become the 2nd team in NHL history to miss the playoffs with a 10 game win streak. Somebody needs to be held accountable, and Housley is first in line because he is softer than a bundt cake. 

I'm a sugar addict and now I want bundt cake.

12 hours ago, darksabre said:

This thread was DOA as soon as someone said "alpha". So basic.

So toxic!

10 hours ago, JJFIVEOH said:

It wouldn't turn things around, but things are damn sure not going to get any better. 

Bundt cake soft. 

Stop saying bundt cake.

9 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

the team seemed to give up tonight late in the game.

I'll be out there on this one, but coaches quit too when they deem a game out of reach WAY too soon. I would have kept the goalie on the bench after going down by three.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Also, this place is going to turn into a burning cauldron of filth by Tuesday. This fan base is way too fragile to have to sit on a loss like that for 4 days.  

I saw Burning Cauldron of Filth in Potter County, PA, about 10 years ago, at WhiteFest. Fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Honestly, we are playing exactly the same now as we were during the 10 game win streak. The difference is a few good bounces (during the streak) and goaltending. Ullmark has been hot and cold and whatever mojo Hutton had going on then is totally gone now.  You do nto win at this time of the year without great goaltending, and ours is rubbish. That is NOT on Housley.

Hutton may very well be wearing down, i.e. showing the effects of previously being a back-up and now being asked to carry the load.  Perhaps more starts for Ullmark would help both of them.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I agree Phil will not be fired and that there are holes in the roster. However I have a slightly different theory.

If JBott fires Phil that only leaves himself to get the axe next. Instead JBott will try to fill those holes and then let Phil show what he can do. Thing is Phil will fail with “upgrades” added because, well, not everyone is destined to be a head coach. JBott knows this.

After not showing any major improvements (missing the playoffs) next year, Phil gets replaced. The new HC/GM tandem then get a year to show the highers they have everything under control. This makes the 2020/2021 season a sink or swim period for JBott. 

If the Sabres make the playoffs he is safe. If not he gets fired but JBott still benefits.

2. His tactic will have secured his job for the next two years following the 2018/2019 season.

3. Executing multiple trades, drafting, and developing successfully (debatable?) provide positive optics.

4. The team has performed better than under GMTM. I know this is debatable to some people.

So what is the point? JBott will not lose sleep over inability to take the Sabres to the playoffs. This is his first time as the head honcho and at the same time trying to make a horrible team into a playoff team. He stole Skinner, lured an assistant coach from a successful team to be his HC, made some improvements resulting in said horrible team to become middle of the pack. He also got a franchise player to extend full term, greatly enhanced goaltending and will add to his accomplishments during the offseason. JBott knows he is on the clock so he is doing his job for two reasons. Try to make the playoffs but build his resume for when the inevitable happens.

I guess what I’m saying in this essay of a post is JBott is setting the stage for himself as much as he is the franchise. Therefore he is/has/will do things which may help the team but more importantly prolong his stay in order to build said resume. Problem for the fans is he will likely go the safe route on moves with no big waves because the big risk may result in his firing before he can solidify his appeal to other teams. 

As much as I hate to say it. This is theatre we are watching. If Skinner had cost more than what we gave do you think JBott would have executed the trade? Say Sam for Skinner. I think not because that would’ve been higher risk and if Skinner didn’t light it up like he is we would be even worse in the standings. JBott will then have failed in coach department and big move department.

I do apologize for the length and am just having some fun with this conspiracy theory.

That’s a pretty detailed excuse for Botts... the part where Botts takes a “horrible team” and makes them middle of the pack... is certainly an interesting take since he has yet to get the team back to where they were when he took over.

but the overall premise is means that Botts should be fired for making the job about his career and not the sabres.

Edited by jame

Even if Housley is fired I do not believe that Quenneville will be the coach. The word out of Chicago is he does better with a roster that is complete or near complete and would not be the best choice for teams who have a large contingent of developing players. He also favors vets over rookies as well. 

He probably takes established roster such as St Louis, Philly or an under achieving playoff team. 

All this being said, he does use analytics in his line matchups and does have a Stanley Cup Pedigree, and I would want him behind the Sabres Bench. 

The names the Sabres would probably look would be Sheldon Keefe of the Marlies, whose contract is up this year and wants to move to the NHL. Kris Knoblauch, Philadelphia Asst. Coach and of course Chris Taylor of the Amerks. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I hear what youre saying & while i may agree with ur broader point that he wants to be successful in his role & career, i think the rest is a bit unfair on your part or maybe you're just trolling a bit, who knows. But imo this guy is more of a Sabre than you or I am or will ever be. Why? Because he was an actual player for our team. Something that no fan is. Not to mention his stint with Rochester. He's shed blood sweat & tears for this team on a physical level. More than most fans who sit in their computer chairs & type away like you & I. I just dont buy for a second that he doesnt care about this team as much as his career. He's invested. And while he's not sitting in the dark with a bottle of whiskey in his hand staring down the barrel of a shotgun listening to conway twitty songs all night, i'm sure the stress & subsequent disappointment of where this team is at right now does bother him. But unlike fans emotions that rise & fall everynight, he seems to have his plan & is sticking to it. And when you think of it, wouldn't you rather have a GM like that? Seems to me GMDR & GMTM wouldve felt the pressure to make a flashy move desperate to appease the fan base. We've been there & done that & we know how that story ends.

The ownership has given him this opportunity & he will be judged on it as time goes on. But he wont be judged on our ugly loss last night, anymore than our 10 game winning streak. But you better believe he'll be judged at the end of next year after we're on the other side of this rebuild. The year after we cleared out our cap space & made some use of it. This year was all about the reset & i know u know that. But I'm sorry i dont doubt for a second that he wants to bring the Cup to Buffalo. Us fans want it yesterday I get that, but who knows, perhaps the patient build from within plan is the one that actually gets us there in the long run. Because we've tried the other way & it didnt work out so well. If we're as good as we think we can be a year or so from now, all talk like we see on these forums after a bad loss will seem like a distant memory. We can only hope haha

4 hours ago, jame said:

That’s a pretty detailed excuse for Botts... the part where Botts takes a “horrible team” and makes them middle of the pack... is certainly an interesting take since he has yet to get the team back to where they were when he took over.

but the overall premise is means that Botts should be fired for making the job about his career and not the sabres.

Hence conspiracy theory kid.

58 minutes ago, MillerVaive said:

I hear what youre saying & while i may agree with ur broader point that he wants to be successful in his role & career, i think the rest is a bit unfair on your part or maybe you're just trolling a bit, who knows. But imo this guy is more of a Sabre than you or I am or will ever be. Why? Because he was an actual player for our team. Something that no fan is. Not to mention his stint with Rochester. He's shed blood sweat & tears for this team on a physical level. More than most fans who sit in their computer chairs & type away like you & I. I just dont buy for a second that he doesnt care about this team as much as his career. He's invested. And while he's not sitting in the dark with a bottle of whiskey in his hand staring down the barrel of a shotgun listening to conway twitty songs all night, i'm sure the stress & subsequent disappointment of where this team is at right now does bother him. But unlike fans emotions that rise & fall everynight, he seems to have his plan & is sticking to it. And when you think of it, wouldn't you rather have a GM like that? Seems to me GMDR & GMTM wouldve felt the pressure to make a flashy move desperate to appease the fan base. We've been there & done that & we know how that story ends.

The ownership has given him this opportunity & he will be judged on it as time goes on. But he wont be judged on our ugly loss last night, anymore than our 10 game winning streak. But you better believe he'll be judged at the end of next year after we're on the other side of this rebuild. The year after we cleared out our cap space & made some use of it. This year was all about the reset & i know u know that. But I'm sorry i dont doubt for a second that he wants to bring the Cup to Buffalo. Us fans want it yesterday I get that, but who knows, perhaps the patient build from within plan is the one that actually gets us there in the long run. Because we've tried the other way & it didnt work out so well. If we're as good as we think we can be a year or so from now, all talk like we see on these forums after a bad loss will seem like a distant memory. We can only hope haha

As I’ve said. This was nothing more than a fun fan conspiracy theory. I have nothing real to back it up in fact JBott likely cares very much about the Sabres.