GDT: Blackhawks @ Sabres 2/1/2019, 7PM EST

SABRES 0311

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Oh wonderful, so what your saying is that Pegula found his long lost son and they are willing to wait 15 years for that "CUPS" run?

I think I just threw up in my mouth...………...a lot...……………..

Yeah, just listen to him, he never wants to rush to make a decision and wants to evaluate every decision thoroughly. I believe he referred to seasons as being evaluation years for them.

Sometimes as a sports GM you have to strike when the iron is hot. Not taking advantage this year of the winning streak and trying to make the playoffs is a bad move just because your plan had originally had this year as a development/learning year.

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

I honestly can’t say for sure...”this is a playoff team next year”... this matrix is not looking good right now 

It will all depend on the offseason.  PH getting the boot will help too.  We need a grizzled vet to light a fire under this team.  PH is too soft.  His voice is as potent as a horse sedative.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beer said:

It will all depend on the offseason.  PH getting the boot will help too.  We need a grizzled vet to light a fire under this team.  PH is too soft.  His voice is as potent as a horse sedative.  

Not that their choices have been great recently, but how many times can we keep blaming it on the coach? The best coach we have had since Lindy was the guy who replaced him and they brought in to begin the tank....

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I live in St Louis.  I know some people in the Blues organization.  Your hero wanted out. His stunt in front of the press on locker clean out was all part of it.  He did a similar thing in Colorado.  The guy is a flake.  Talented yes, but he has zero winning history.

He did not want to work hard enough to help turn this program around   He said it himself   He lost his passion.  I expect he will run his course in St Louis in three years too  

McDavid has lost a lot in the NHL too.  It takes more than one guy to turn a team around. 

The fact is that O'Reilly is having an all-star season and the Sabres have  throbbing, gaping, noxious need for a 2nd center, and JBot made that deal WAAAAAY too early.

Maybe if the Sabres had a coach who could handle a locker room, the Sabres would have an extra 20 goal scorer on the roster and a legitimate 2nd line, instead of the never ending clown show that they've been putting on the ice the last 12 years.

Edited by jad1
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

ROR is a good player. He may not be a lockerroom leader, and was run out of here because fans felt he was a cancer because he wasnt happy with losing. Many thought players should/would be all for tanking to get a better draft choice and then could just turn it back on when they obtained that player. I dont blame ROR one bit and could Imagine just how tough it must have been having to play for teams who's goal isnt to win games.

Fans had NOTHING to do with it.  The decision to trade ROR was made by JBot and Phil.  Where do people get this from?  

Why do do you feel sorry for ROR.  He was a big reason why the GMTM rebuild failed.   

Give any GM the choice between Eichel and RoR, Eichel gets 31 votes.  

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

Not that their choices have been great recently, but how many times can we keep blaming it on the coach? The best coach we have had since Lindy was the guy who replaced him and they brought in to begin the tank....

The second goal was soft and crushed the skaters. Hutton should have been pulled right there.

Phil is a drip

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, jame said:

Yes, I think a 60+ center who can match up with the leagues best lines would’ve made a significnat difference.

I think ROR hated losing, and the lockerroom was a tough place... the solutions were:

1. fixing the D (Dahlin, Pilut + healthy Bogo + Mccabe)

2. Increasing skill, speed and scoring (Skinner, Mitts, Erod, Sheary

3. Fixing goaltending (Ullmark/Hutton)

but that doesn’t work when you rip an irreplaceable anchor out of the center of the roster. A matchup/selke caliber center is practically a pre-requisite for winning in this league. We got rid of one, and it’s more likely than not that Eichel will play this entire contract without one.

It can never be, but still so tempting to imagine what could have been possible!

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I agree the coaching carousel is not good but PH is not the answer.  Perhaps I’m wrong but I think a coach with a different style could get more out of this team.

• Like (+1) 3

Yes, I think a 60+ center who can match up with the leagues best lines would’ve made a significnat difference.

I think ROR hated losing, and the lockerroom was a tough place... the solutions were:

1. fixing the D (Dahlin, Pilut + healthy Bogo + Mccabe)

2. Increasing skill, speed and scoring (Skinner, Mitts, Erod, Sheary

3. Fixing goaltending (Ullmark/Hutton)

but that doesn’t work when you rip an irreplaceable anchor out of the center of the roster. A matchup/selke caliber center is practically a pre-requisite for winning in this league. We got rid of one, and it’s more likely than not that Eichel will play this entire contract without one.

I don't put the over all record on the absence of Ryan. After all, there is solid data to indicate his presence DID NOT improve team position points standing wise. I mean, come on, they came in last place last season.

But, with that said, my posts and overall point is that there is a larger problem than just the roster in Buffalo. My first guess, given the GM's short tenure here and he has no real ability to effect the roster emotion, is the coaching staff. 

Housley has to go in my opinion. It's just my opinion mind you, but lesser teams talent wise are doing more with less. Housley and his staff appear to be outmatched a majority of the his tenure here. It's time, the playoffs are at stake. Fire him today I say, and bring in Q or another that can change what is going on. Players have to be beyond frustrated.

the coach is fine. this is a slightly below avg team--look at the plus minus. that tells the real tale. which is a big improvement over last yr.

lets get some good /tough players in there to help out jack and rasmus and rasmus and skinner. the rest of the roster is filled with mediocre players and some avg players like reinhardt.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Fans had NOTHING to do with it.  The decision to trade ROR was made by JBot and Phil.  Where do people get this from?  

Why do do you feel sorry for ROR.  He was a big reason why the GMTM rebuild failed.   

Give any GM the choice between Eichel and RoR, Eichel gets 31 votes.  

IMHO, the GMTM rebuild failed because of OTHER bad deals and acquisitions.  Okposo signing is disaster #1.  Overpaying a #1 round pick for Lehner #2.  Nylander pick not working out so far.  Gambling a third for Vesey's rights.  There may be more.  The ROR deal may actually be one of the better ones he did.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

I don't put the over all record on the absence of Ryan. After all, there is solid data to indicate his presence DID NOT improve team position points standing wise. I mean, come on, they came in last place last season.

But, with that said, my posts and overall point is that there is a larger problem than just the roster in Buffalo. My first guess, given the GM's short tenure here and he has no real ability to effect the roster emotion, is the coaching staff. 

Housley has to go in my opinion. It's just my opinion mind you, but lesser teams talent wise are doing more with less. Housley and his staff appear to be outmatched a majority of the his tenure here. It's time, the playoffs are at stake. Fire him today I say, and bring in Q or another that can change what is going on. Players have to be beyond frustrated.

Your ignoring how awful the roster was that year... it had Moulson, Seth’s Griffith, Matt Tennyson.... Chad ***** Johnson, Jordan Nolan... and the list goes on... literally 1/3 of the roster was non-NHLers...

Yes... we didn’t win with EIchel/ROR core... when the core was surrounded by garbage and injuries exasperated the problems... 

Your ignoring how awful the roster was that year... it had Moulson, Seth’s Griffith, Matt Tennyson.... Chad ***** Johnson, Jordan Nolan... and the list goes on... literally 1/3 of the roster was non-NHLers...

Yes... we didn’t win with EIchel/ROR core... when the core was surrounded by garbage and injuries exasperated the problems... 

I ignored nothing. The roster is equally as awful this year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.