Face it. We have 1.5 good lines. Maybe 3 to 4 solid defensemen. Botts isn’t buying at the trade deadline.

RonHextallsShoulderPads

3 hours ago, klos1963 said:

our forwards and defensmen play lousy in our own zone, it's our biggest weakness in my opinion. Pilut is a prime culprit, he makes too many mistakes.

Pilut has made 5-6 high profile mistakes... and that's blinding everyone to the real impact he makes on the ice for the other 90% of his time out there. We outscore our opponents when Pilut is on the ice.

3 minutes ago, jame said:

Pilut has made 5-6 high profile mistakes... and that's blinding everyone to the real impact he makes on the ice for the other 90% of his time out there. We outscore our opponents when Pilut is on the ice.

Please!

No one is blinded. We all recognize he is a decent 3/4 D man. His mistakes are glaring however. No matter what you personally believe, when he costs momentum, games and in turn, points, it's apparent he isn't a complete package NHL ready. Stop with the "but, but, but he's this or that". He is what he is, a developing d man. He doesn't deserve the slot, Housley agrees. Why? Because like some of us, he doesn't have the blinders on, he's cognizant of the kids short comings.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Please!

No one is blinded. We all recognize he is a decent 3/4 D man. His mistakes are glaring however. No matter what you personally believe, when he costs momentum, games and in turn, points, it's apparent he isn't a complete package NHL ready. Stop with the "but, but, but he's this or that". He is what he is, a developing d man. He doesn't deserve the slot, Housley agrees. Why? Because like some of us, he doesn't have the blinders on, he's cognizant of the kids short comings.

Except he doesn’t cost us games/points.

He has a 58% on ice GF60 and he has dominant high danger GF60 at 77%

the handful of blunders stand out, but his broader impact on the ice is a net positive for a team that struggles to create net positive matchups.

he should play every game the rest of the year, and everytime housley takes him out it costs us.

he has a 58% HDCF, he’s the only defensemen on the team over 50% and he manages these #s with a near team low ozone start %

41 minutes ago, jame said:

the handful of blunders stand out, but his broader impact on the ice is a net positive for a team that struggles to create net positive matchups.

he should play every game the rest of the year, and everytime housley takes him out it costs us.

he has a 58% HDCF, he’s the only defensemen on the team over 50% and he manages these #s with a near team low ozone start %

I like Pilut a lot!  Just wish he was a little taller and 20 lbs heavier to handle things in our defensive zone.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jame said:

He cost us the Vancouver game.

I dunno, Dallas scored once when he sat, Chicago scored 7. Not all on Pilut obviously, mostly bad goaltending, but Pilut is no savior. He is small and weak in his own end. Good generating offense, flawed and needs work defensively. Not sure if he can get better, hope he can. In the three last games I thought Hunwick was actually the best of the three.

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He cost us the Vancouver game.

I dunno, Dallas scored once when he sat, Chicago scored 7. Not all on Pilut obviously, mostly bad goaltending, but Pilut is no savior. He is small and weak in his own end. Good generating offense, flawed and needs work defensively. Not sure if he can get better, hope he can. In the three last games I thought Hunwick was actually the best of the three.

Dallas scored once when Ullmark played brilliantly.

ignore the underlying metrics if you want... Pilut is going is going to be a long term top 4 defensemen for us, ideally locked in on a 2nd pair with Risto for the next few years.

Edited by jame

1 minute ago, jame said:

Dallas scored once when Ullmark played brilliantly.

ignore the underlying metrics if you want... Pilut is going is going to be a long term top 4 defensemen for us, ideally locked in on a 2nd pair with Risto for the next few years.

Maybe, maybe not. I think if you notice most of the critiques are about how this team is soft, Housley is soft, we need a stud alpha etc.    and yet your hope is on our softest D man. Go figure. Gonna disagree on that but no point to keep arguing the same point. Time will tell. I'd prefer if you were right, but I don't think so. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe, maybe not. I think if you notice most of the critiques are about how this team is soft, Housley is soft, we need a stud alpha etc.    and yet your hope is on our softest D man. Go figure. Gonna disagree on that but no point to keep arguing the same point. Time will tell. I'd prefer if you were right, but I don't think so. 

and the only goal Pilut was on the ice for tonight was when we scored to make is 4-3 

Risto and Bogo are the alphas... hows that working out for us?

Edited by jame

On 1/31/2019 at 7:16 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Taking stock of what we have:

Good goaltending tandem

Two out of three defensive pairings

Threatening top line and good fourth line

Three out six middle six players who have the ability to score and getting better defensively (TT, Mitts, Sheary)

Good PK

Prospects on both ends who show they belong on the team

GM with a plan

What we need:

Third defensive pairing

2C

A real PP

A real coach

Captain who captains

Don’t agree on the good goaltending.  The goaltending has been below average for two months. 

Our middle 6 is very poor, the 3 players you named are part if the problem.  Mitts and Tage are more like top end AHL level players this season, talent is there but still boys in a mans game.   Sheary is a journeyman 3rd liner, not impressed   

Toss in aging players with big salaries (Pommer,, KO) and thankful we dodged another bullet when Bergland left us.  

Talent in Rochester is good but not providing any significant immediate help.  

GM with plan?  - yes, a long term plan.  Don’t expect big moves until free agency starts.  He too was surprised by the team in November   

Blaming the Captain is silly.  Eichel is having his best year. Slowed by an injury and maybe the strain of having to carry a woeful set of forwards once again  

Skinner is not signed and he may not sign, imagine how Eichel will react if Skinner walks??? 

Housley could be a causality if this team quits.  

14 hours ago, jame said:

He does cost us goals, and  points/games.  He is no different than any other player. He has created lots of turnovers that cost us dearly.  The blunders are more than a handful, I need a bushel basket.  

Do you have a stat for “unable to clear a forward from the front of the net”?  That is the part of his game I don’t like.  He will never be tall but he can get stronger and use leverage.   He is a work in progress.  

Edited by Pimlach

23 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He does cost us goals, and  points/games.  He is no different than any other player. He has created lots of turnovers that cost us dearly.  The blunders are more than a handful, I need a bushel basket.  

Do you have a stat for “unable to clear a forward from the front of the net”?  That is the part of his game I don’t like.  He will never be tall but he can get stronger and use leverage.   He is a work in progress.  

Ill keep posting the stats, you keep talking in bushels 

• Like (+1) 1

The premise of this thread is that we are still an incomplete team and that Jbot will do nothing to fix this squad.  I agree with the 1st premise and disagree with the second.

So what do we really have?

FORWARDS

Line 1 Skinner (UFA) Jack (signed LT) ????

Line2 ??????    ?????     Reinhart (Signed 1 yr)

Line 3 Sheary (signed 1 yr), Mitts (ELC), Tage (ELC)

also Smith (RFA), Erod (RFA), 

Line 4 Girgensons (RFA), Larsson (RFA), KO (signed LT)

also Wilson (signed 1yr)

Spare Parts Pominville (UFA), Sobatka (signed 1 yr)

Biggest need - 2nd line center - note that Mitts and Tage could develop into 2nd liners but that may be years away. I also think Erod and Sheary can play up on a pinch.

What I’d like to see - more kids get a look see, especially if Jbot isn’t aggressive at the deadline.  I’d like to see what Nylander and or Olofsson can do on Jack’s wing. I also think the Sam, Jack, Jeff, Z, Larry, Sheary, Mitts, Tage, and Erod are 3/4 of a good team.  Find the right 2nd line center and this team makes a push for the playoffs this year.

DEFENSE

D1 Dahlin (ELC) ?????

D2 McCabe (RFA) Ristolainen (signed LT)

D3 Pilut (ELC) Bogo (signed 1 yr)

others: Scandella (signed 1 yr), Nelson (signed 1 yr)

others: Baloo (RFA), Hunwick (signed 1yr)

Like most teams we lack enough good D.  Bogo and Scandella when they are on their games can be top 4 D.  When they are off their games, like now, you wish they were on the bench.  We need the physical aspect both men bring, but their inconsistency is enough to drive one crazy.  I want to move on from Bogo, but he is an RHD and therefore is likely sticking around.  Scandella is the better player IMHO and should rebound next season, but may not get the chance here.  I’d demote Hunwick this off-season to get him off the roster and save 50% of his cap hit.  I’d trade Baloo at the deadline.  We have Guhle waiting in the wings and he can be brought up if necessary.  Overall there is enough talent here to build around and to have better results then we have had since November.  Trading Baloo or Scandella might send a strong message.

Biggest Need: 2 RHD to replace Nelson and Bogo long-term.

GOALIES:

Hutton (signed 2 years), Ullmark (RFA)  

I like both goalies.  Their problem of lack is part self inflicted (Hutton) but also a function of poorer play in front of them.  Bogo and Scandella have been awful of late and it’s been dragging down the team with it. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.