Face it. We have 1.5 good lines. Maybe 3 to 4 solid defensemen. Botts isn’t buying at the trade deadline.

RonHextallsShoulderPads

7 minutes ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

I want to win this year, but we just don't have the depth, and a couple rentals aren't going to change that. 

Duchene for sure would make one hell of an impact.  And obviously Panarin would be a huge impact as well.

But wait, there's more...…………...how about Botterill sign Skinner, then trade for both Duchene and Panarin?

That would immediately thrust the Sabres in to a playoff contention tizzy. Would it work? Who knows, but it would be a major shift in the power structure of the both the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference.

Could we afford it? Who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

I want to win this year, but we just don't have the depth, and a couple rentals aren't going to change that. 

why does everyone just assume any trade will be for a rental? But if a rental helps us get into the playoffs, why shouldn't GMJB consider it?

16 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

Yeah I agree. An improvement on last year then another move forward next season. No team playing Elie in there line up is making a hard push for a play off spot. But let's get pilut back in and not sit him again before the end of the season and also get Smith back up and play him anywhere other than the 4th line. Also get nylander recalled before the season end. 

I tend to agree unless Sabres can find a deal on a relatively young forward with years left. May not be available at deadline... more likely around draft time.., Build is slow and steady.  Sabres need too many pieces especially at forward.  Keep D depth, they are bargaining chips... PS The Mitts ERod Sheary line looked dangerous again.  Though I think they need a tougher guy up front, a Berglund with wheels probably what they hoped for Berglund.  

Edited by North Buffalo

6 hours ago, inkman said:

I suspect they will continue to meander around .500 on the cusp of the playoffs until the last weekend of the season. 

In order to continue to meander around.500, they'll need a significant uptick in their play. Been playing well below that for a long while now. 

Edited by Thorny

The issue with people asking for JBots to make a deal for a younger forward with term left on his contract is that every other team in the hunt is looking for the same thing.

Nobody wants our under performing players in a trade for a player like that. We'd love to trade Okposo, Beaulieu, Pomminstein or Scandella but there isnt a team out there thats gonna give us anything good for them. We'd have to do what we did last year by moving ROR & hope that the sum of the return is greater than the whole (and we know how many reacted to that). Or we'd have to give up a 1st, a prospect who is almost on par with the player we'd be looking for & probably even a combo of more picks or prospects. Just look at what Toronto had to give to acquire Muzzin from the Kings.

The price to acquire such a player is simply at its highest right now. We can wish all we want but I think we're a bit unrealistic while floating the idea around.

I'd love Panarin here, Simmonds too, but nowhere on hockey sites will you see the Sabres as a team mentioned as a potential landing spot for them. Why? I'm guessing its because they've objectively analyzed our current situation & figured we're not willing to part with the assets necessary to pull off a deal like that. Its just not happening imo.

• Like (+1) 3

As long as we improve each year I will be happy. What would be disappointing is a rise and then a huge drop back like New Jersey. I didn't expect playoffs this year but I did expect improvement and we got that. 

More importantly the team is faster and has a better attitude. Compete level way up. Attitude way more positive. Those are not little things. They bode well for the future and will create a culture where quitting and slacking won't be acceptable and that is a truly important thing.

If we don't sign Skinner and we don't sign some FA talent in the summer we will be in trouble, but I am willing to wait for that before passing judgement.

2 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

The issue with people asking for JBots to make a deal for a younger forward with term left on his contract is that every other team in the hunt is looking for the same thing.

Nobody wants our under performing players in a trade for a player like that. We'd love to trade Okposo, Beaulieu, Pomminstein or Scandella but there isnt a team out there thats gonna give us anything good for them. We'd have to do what we did last year by moving ROR & hope that the sum of the return is greater than the whole (and we know how many reacted to that). Or we'd have to give up a 1st, a prospect who is almost on par with the player we'd be looking for & probably even a combo of more picks or prospects. Just look at what Toronto had to give to acquire Muzzin from the Kings.

The price to acquire such a player is simply at its highest right now. We can wish all we want but I think we're a bit unrealistic while floating the idea around.

I'd love Panarin here, Simmonds too, but nowhere on hockey sites will you see the Sabres as a team mentioned as a potential landing spot for them. Why? I'm guessing its because they've objectively analyzed our current situation & figured we're not willing to part with the assets necessary to pull off a deal like that. Its just not happening imo.

I agree. If we move a couple of depth players it'll be for picks or depth players on short deals in return imo.

If this team is going to push for a wildcard spot, Jack, Sam, Zemgus, Casey, Rasmusx2 are going to have to step their game up a couple of notches. They have it within them to do it, the question is will they?

Edited by Scottysabres

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree. If we move a couple of death players it'll be for picks or If a depth players in return imo.

If this team is going to push for a wildcard spot, Jack, Sam, Zemgus, Casey, Rasmusx2 are going to have to step their game up a couple of notches. They have it within them to do it, the question is will they?

I'm working up an essay on what I think would be a great trade, but I'm going to get murdered on here for it.  The underlying premise, though, is that the Sabs soon will have 9 D on the roster, two of whom never should be traded under any circumstances, six who would fetch only prospects or picks, and one who actually could land a top-six forward.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm working up an essay on what I think would be a great trade, but I'm going to get murdered on here for it.  The underlying premise, though, is that the Sabs soon will have 9 D on the roster, two of whom never should be traded under any circumstances, six who would fetch only prospects or picks, and one who actually could land a top-six forward.

Moving D does bring the most logical. I am interested in that targeted D man of yours though.

5 minutes ago, jame said:

Olofsson should’ve been here months ago...

Maybe, hard to say how he would have performed, the NHL moves much faster than the leagues he's played in to date.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe, hard to say how he would have performed, the NHL moves much faster than the leagues he's played in to date.

What’s so hard about it? The guy has an NHL shot, he’s 23 years old... and we are giving ice time to a 23 yr old Remi Elie instead. 

Just now, jame said:

What’s so hard about it? The guy has an NHL shot, he’s 23 years old... and we are giving ice time to a 23 yr old Remi Elie instead. 

Maybe the scouts and coaching staff identified a couple of things they felt he should work on before coming up. I'm going to deduce that is the case.

He's 23, I fully expect him up full time next season, maybe on Casey's wing.

It is amazing to me that after years of misery including two last place overall finishes that we don't have a stronger prospect pool, particularly wingers who can score.  The Kane and O'Reilly trades failed to provide us with players that were ready to immediately contribute in a significant way and now we have to hope that the draft picks we received will be hits and eventually develop.  At this point, if JB can land a player that can contribute now, he should, even if it means giving up one of our first round picks.

JB has made one very good trade in getting Skinner and a poor trade in terms of what we received in the O'Reilly trade.  I get it that trading O'Reilly may have been a must, but taking on the contracts of Berglud and Sobotka was kind of shocking to me (although we are fortunate from a financial perspective that Berglund decided to leave the team).  Mittelstadt was not ready to be a number two center and now we lack quality depth at center after Jack.  Still feels like we are a ways away from being a consistent, good team.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, RonHextallsShoulderPads said:

so nothing is done at the deadline to improve the team....and just because you trade for players doesn't make them "rentals"...

7 hours ago, jahnyc said:

It is amazing to me that after years of misery including two last place overall finishes that we don't have a stronger prospect pool, particularly wingers who can score.  The Kane and O'Reilly trades failed to provide us with players that were ready to immediately contribute in a significant way and now we have to hope that the draft picks we received will be hits and eventually develop.  At this point, if JB can land a player that can contribute now, he should, even if it means giving up one of our first round picks.

JB has made one very good trade in getting Skinner and a poor trade in terms of what we received in the O'Reilly trade.  I get it that trading O'Reilly may have been a must, but taking on the contracts of Berglud and Sobotka was kind of shocking to me (although we are fortunate from a financial perspective that Berglund decided to leave the team).  Mittelstadt was not ready to be a number two center and now we lack quality depth at center after Jack.  Still feels like we are a ways away from being a consistent, good team.

Regarding the weak prospect pool, thank GMTM.  He gave away too many picks as trades that have not worked out (ex. Lehner).  He was also not very successful with drafting talent with the picks he still had (ex. Nylander).

I'm actually surprised we're still close to a playoff spot and it's Feb. 1st.

25 days to make decisions on players staying and going, 7 game home stand within that time frame. While I don't believe Botterill will do nothing, I also don't think any big moves are coming.

Turning my attention to the three 1st rdr's I can see those players starting to appear in 2 to 3 yrs from now depending on how well Botterill and staff draft.

12 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Maybe the scouts and coaching staff identified a couple of things they felt he should work on before coming up. I'm going to deduce that is the case.

He's 23, I fully expect him up full time next season, maybe on Casey's wing.

The same staff that keeps taking Pilut out of the lineup?

An appeal to authority can justify any bad decision this organization makes....

11 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Not to nitpick, but it was three last place finishes.

?

2 hours ago, jame said:

And deservedly so. Pilut may look good at times, but he's made mistakes that have directly cost this team points in the standings or momentum in a game, neither of which can be remotely construed as good things to have happen. The narrative that Pilut is "the answer" is equally as bad as "Scandella is better than he looks recently".

As for the Staff, it isn't the Rochester or scouting staff keeping Pilut out of the line up, it's Phil's coaching staff. The Rochester coaching staff has heavy input to Botterill on development tracks, Botterill himself has stated on several occasions on the conversations Taylor, his staff and himself have, none of which included Phil.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, jame said:

our forwards and defensmen play lousy in our own zone, it's our biggest weakness in my opinion. Pilut is a prime culprit, he makes too many mistakes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.