Sabres @ Stars, 1/30/2019, 8:30 PM ET

Doohickie

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I know. It’s like you don’t even realize that hitting and physical play is a part of hockey.

That's it, you got me. What I do recognize is that zone exits, entries, and shot suppression are more important than hits. The game against Columbus, scandella wasn't good. He was fine last night and after the first, I said nothing about it him.

At this point you're just arguing to argue. You've advanced a theory that is illogical, you've now changed tact to what if? and there's no point in trying on my end because we are no longer in agreement on reality. 

You can't debate someone who is using an alternate reality.  Any point I make you'll just say "what if..."

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought Scandy was fine last night.  His minus-1 was attributable to Bogo, who committed an awful turnover that ended up in the Sabres' net.

Also, Scandy was the Sabre who came closest to scoring a goal last night!

I think swapping Pilut in for Scandy last night would've had zero impact.

That -1 is in regards to the Columbus game. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Yup, the Stars' style of play is so much more impressive than ours that they have fewer points than we do. 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

They won last night.

And they still have less points. Because physicality isn't gonna magically get you wins. Generating high danger scoring chances though, that's a key. Now physical board battles are definitely an area of physical play we need to be better. That gives you possession and possession is another key. 

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's it, you got me. What I do recognize is that zone exits, entries, and shot suppression are more important than hits. The game against Columbus, scandella wasn't good. He was fine last night and after the first, I said nothing about it him.

At this point you're just arguing to argue. You've advanced a theory that is illogical, you've now changed tact to what if? and there's no point in trying on my end because we are no longer in agreement on reality. 

You can't debate someone who is using an alternate reality.  Any point I make you'll just say "what if..."

Again, I’m not just talking about hits. I’m talking about something that isn’t measured by a stat, physical puck battles along the boards in the defensive zone. 

Scandella is better than Pilut at them, imo. I didn’t change my tack. I think the outcome could have been worse in the BJs game had Pilut played over Scandy given the physical nature of the game. I think we could have lost by more had Pilut played last night for the same reason. 

You don’t have to agree. Doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Again, I’m not just talking about hits. I’m talking about something that isn’t measured by a stat, physical puck battles along the boards in the defensive zone. 

Scandella is better than Pilut at them, imo. I didn’t change my tack. I think the outcome could have been worse in the BJs game had Pilut played over Scandy given the physical nature of the game. I think we could have lost by more had Pilut played last night for the same reason. 

You don’t have to agree. Doesn’t mean I’m wrong.

I think your wrong about pilut. 

Edited by LGR4GM

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And they still have less points. Because physicality isn't gonna magically get you wins. Generating high danger scoring chances though, that's a key. Now physical board battles are definitely an area of physical play we need to be better. That gives you possession and possession is another key. 

Good point. When talking physicality we need to differentiate board play as opposed to just hitting people.

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There are other ways to look at this.....yes, winning board battles needs to be better. But what if you can avoid those battles, gain possession, and clear the zone? This is where I think Pilut is better than Scandy. Getting to pucks faster, getting possession, and moving the puck, without the need to battle.

Every play and every circumstance can have a different outcome based on many variables.  

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

When is the hearing?

I believe that is suspension worthy.  

Any reaction from the rest of the Sabres?  Bogo?

Benn hit him on his shoulder side.  If Eichel had stayed parallel to the boards it would of been a penalty. And the end of Jack for a week.

12 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Who should he have put out there?

Well the obvious answer is Pilut should be dressed... but given that Phil makes bad decisions before the game as well as during.... the answer during the game (given that Mittelstadt, Bogo, and Dahlin were gassed) the acceptable choices with the goalie pulled were: Beaulieu, Erod, Okposo or Thompson. That's assuming the objective was to try and score a goal and win... you never know, maybe we're intentionally tanking again.

9 minutes ago, jame said:

Well the obvious answer is Pilut should be dressed... but given that Phil makes bad decisions before the game as well as during.... the answer during the game (given that Mittelstadt, Bogo, and Dahlin were gassed) the acceptable choices with the goalie pulled were: Beaulieu, Erod, Okposo or Thompson. That's assuming the objective was to try and score a goal and win... you never know, maybe we're intentionally tanking again.

But he was playing the big netfront presence guy for most of it. So Erod and Beaulieu are out and Tage was also one of the gassed guys. That leaves Okposo. Meh.

Edited by SwampD

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

But he was playing the big netfront presence guy for most of it. So Erod and Beaulieu are out and Tage was also one of the gassed guys. That leaves Okposo. Meh.

You say that like it's not silly....

Tage last shift was at the 14 minute mark, he was not one of the gassed guys (Erod was, I missed that)

What makes Scandella a better net front presence (i'm trying not to laugh) than... well anyone. If that was his purpose on the ice, it expands the list to Larsson, Girgensons, and basically everyone

Edited by jame
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jame said:

Tage last shift was at the 14 minute mark, he was not one of the gassed guys

What makes Scandella a better net front presence (i'm trying not to laugh) than Erod or Beaulieu?

The tank line, funny and well played.  The trying not to laugh comeback condescending and Douchey.   You see why people don’t like you right?

2 minutes ago, jame said:

Tage last shift was at the 14 minute mark, he was not one of the gassed guys

What makes Scandella a better net front presence (i'm trying not to laugh) than Erod or Beaulieu?

Yep. I read the number wrong. Stupid work distracting me.

Hmm, I thought Scandy was bigger than Beaulieu, and I don't know, but it definitely looked like a set play. You guys might be right (I really haven't made up my mind yet) maybe Phil is and idiot.

Criticizing individual moves after a loss is just such low hanging fruit. 

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. I read the number wrong. Stupid work distracting me.

Hmm, I thought Scandy was bigger than Beaulieu, and I don't know, but it definitely looked like a set play. You guys might be right (I really haven't made up my mind yet) maybe Phil is and idiot.

Criticizing individual moves after a loss is just such low hanging fruit. 

I don’t think getting into the shift to shift details is the low hanging fruit. 

33 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

The tank line, funny and well played.  The trying not to laugh comeback condescending and Douchey.   You see why people don’t like you right?

Yea I don’t care. But the “trying not to laugh” line is an insult towards Housley... 

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

FTR, I'm pretty high on Pilut. I just don't think Scandella is as bad as a lot of folk here. They play a different game.

I don't either.  I think he has value.  Especially on PK.  But he has had a tough season compared to recent.

Said the same about Bogo last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I didn't watch the third, so this is an honest question--was Reinhart gassed?  Because I like him in front of the goalie.

I agree with you on Scandella; he is unnecessarily and unfairly vilified.

I also think it's a waste to keep Pilut off of the ice for two full weeks and running.  If Housley wants to play other defenders (it's silly, but if that's what he wants...), send Larry back to Rochester and get him some games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.