Jason Botterill: Is he a good or bad GM?

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Drunkard said:

The same reason Ovechkin never won the Stanley Cup until last season. It takes more than one good player to win, even if that player is a stud.

Lets see, ROR played his final season in Colo with Iginla, Langeskog, Tanguay, Duchene, Varlamov, Erich Johnson and even Danny Briere.

He is playing in Stl with Tarasenko, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester, Schwartz, Perron, plus talented kids like Dunn and Thomas.  These were/are both very talented teams; certainly more then the current Sabres, yet ROR doesn't get them over the top and somehow they go the opposite direction.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lets see, ROR played his final season in Colo with Iginla, Langeskog, Tanguay, Duchene, Varlamov, Erich Johnson and even Danny Briere.

He is playing in Stl with Tarasenko, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester, Schwartz, Perron, plus talented kids like Dunn and Thomas.  These were/are both very talented teams; certainly more then the current Sabres, yet ROR does get them over the top and somehow they go the opposite direction.

IMHO - Stl had already started a culture of losing when they traded Stastny just before the trade deadline.  They were in the thick of the playoff hunt and purposely let go of an important current player for picks and a prospect.  I do not believe it was a contract year for Stastny either.  Although they still had a good point total, they finished the regular season on the outside looking in while Colorado and LA got in.

Stl may not be doing well this season, but I don't necessarily think it was because ROR is suddenly there and brought a culture of losing from Buffalo with him....rather they already started that feeling on their own.

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is playing in Stl with Tarasenko, Schenn, Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester, Schwartz, Perron, plus talented kids like Dunn and Thomas.  These were/are both very talented teams; certainly more then the current Sabres, yet ROR does get them over the top and somehow they go the opposite direction.

Yeah, it must be O'Reilly's fault those teams never won, including this season's Blues team even though he's leading the team in scoring by a fairly wide margin.

How many Cups did Gretzky win after he left Edmonton? That guy's career must have turned to *****. He must have been a locker room cancer too.

I would give him a passing grade on everything.  The culture has shifted and at a little past the halfway point the Sabres are still in contention just 4 points out of the final wild card.  Sure, you can question the Housley hire (though I and many were clamoring for it), the ROR return (though I'm happy with the 1st, 2nd and Thompson).  He's looked like a Jedi master with the additions of (Sheary and Skinner).  He's listened to what his scouts have brought to the table and brought in talent.  In addition, he's stuck to his guns and made Rochester into a likely back to back playoff contender.  He's improved the back end and brought in a competent goalie to compete with Ullmark to push this team closer than we've been in the past 9 seasons.  He has a little bit of former mentor's and he's pushed for talent when he's needed to while remaining steadfast in his opinion's.  For once, I feel like this team is trending upwards.  Regardless, of how the 10 game win streak did for expectations. 

On 2/1/2019 at 6:54 PM, TheCerebral1 said:

I would give him a passing grade on everything.  The culture has shifted and at a little past the halfway point the Sabres are still in contention just 4 points out of the final wild card.  Sure, you can question the Housley hire (though I and many were clamoring for it), the ROR return (though I'm happy with the 1st, 2nd and Thompson).  He's looked like a Jedi master with the additions of (Sheary and Skinner).  He's listened to what his scouts have brought to the table and brought in talent.  In addition, he's stuck to his guns and made Rochester into a likely back to back playoff contender.  He's improved the back end and brought in a competent goalie to compete with Ullmark to push this team closer than we've been in the past 9 seasons.  He has a little bit of former mentor's and he's pushed for talent when he's needed to while remaining steadfast in his opinion's.  For once, I feel like this team is trending upwards.  Regardless, of how the 10 game win streak did for expectations. 

You really think the culture has shifted?

heres Okposo today saying that it hasn't

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/1091766394960650240?s=21

16 minutes ago, jame said:

You really think the culture has shifted?

heres Okposo today saying that it hasn't

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/1091766394960650240?s=21

Wow. This is the best thing KO has done...for the fans. 

Who thinks team leadership isn't important? Eichel is in over his head being the face of this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ... said:

Who thinks team leadership isn't important? Eichel is in over his head being the face of this team. 

Man, that sounds like so many Ryan Miller sound bites from the post Drury era.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, ... said:

I believe this is why KO and Bogo are wearing the A.  For right, or wrong, this is Eich's team and he needs to wear the C.

Bogo is the real captain of the team, IMO.  He is showing it, in general, on the ice.  It seems that he and KO and to an extent Eich (although it doesn't seem to be in him at the moment) need to be real leaders off the ice and in the room.

@Weave, you are so right.  A page taken right from the Ryan Miller book of rules.

40 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I believe this is why KO and Bogo are wearing the A.  For right, or wrong, this is Eich's team and he needs to wear the C.

Bogo is the real captain of the team, IMO.  He is showing it, in general, on the ice.  It seems that he and KO and to an extent Eich (although it doesn't seem to be in him at the moment) need to be real leaders off the ice and in the room.

@Weave, you are so right.  A page taken right from the Ryan Miller book of rules.

Everybody gets caught up with letters.  Bogo is a leader. Leaders lead. A letter on your sweater doesn't change who you are. You lead or you don't. I've seen and heard some leadership qualities out of Jack. Not every captain looks or functions the same. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.