GDT SLT

PASabreFan

SLT=subject line thread

There are too many formats being used. It is poking at my brain like 1,000 tiny Pittsburgh sports fans with ice picks.

GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m.

(The time is AP style.)

I don't think any TV information is needed. We all know how we watch if the Sabres are on MSG. If they are not on MSG, the alternate TV network could be in parentheses.

GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m. (NBCSN)

Open for debate is the punctuation marks separating the items.

I personally like Sabres @ Blue Jackets because I either know the city or it doesn't matter. Other than that, I would say that MSG should be the known default unless otherwise noted then we don't have to write it all the time. 

GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

SLT=subject line thread

There are too many formats being used. It is poking at my brain like 1,000 tiny Pittsburgh sports fans with ice picks.

GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m.

(The time is AP style.)

I don't think any TV information is needed. We all know how we watch if the Sabres are on MSG. If they are not on MSG, the alternate TV network could be in parentheses.

GDT: Buffalo Sabres at Columbus Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m. (NBCSN)

Open for debate is the punctuation marks separating the items.

Just toss a handful of loose change out into the lawn. They’ll leave you alone...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

We've been doing the same basic GDT subject line here for like a decade now. It shouldn't be too hard for OPs to get it right.

Have we not been losing for the last decade?  Do we see the correlation?

I propose something off the wall - surreal GDT titles.  For example:

Pepper jack my FaCe streets molten space tonight upon the Moon's rise in not Christoper

Now that would be different.  And maybe the winning formula!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I personally like Sabres @ Blue Jackets because I either know the city or it doesn't matter. Other than that, I would say that MSG should be the known default unless otherwise noted then we don't have to write it all the time. 

GDT: Sabres at Blue Jackets, January 29, 2019, 7 p.m.

City names might have a slight benefit for some casual fans. Panthers is the most common sports nickname in the U.S. Some might pause on "Panthers." Hockey's in Nashville now? Vegas? Aren't the Stars from Minnesota? Etc. It's also more formal and dramatic IMHO.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

Have we not been losing for the last decade?  Do we see the correlation?

I propose something off the wall - surreal GDT titles.  For example:

Pepper jack my FaCe streets molten space tonight upon the Moon's rise in not Christoper

Now that would be different.  And maybe the winning formula!

Amazing.

I'm in favor of the GDT standardization.

The mysticism over changing it up, who starts it, etc. is all garbage.  The Sabres have never won the Stanley Cup so every format taken to date has tried and failed.  Pretty sure it's time to just say, it has no impact and make it easier to find and read.

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

I'm in favor of the GDT standardization.

The mysticism over changing it up, who starts it, etc. is all garbage.  The Sabres have never won the Stanley Cup so every format taken to date has tried and failed.  Pretty sure it's time to just say, it has no impact and make it easier to find and read.

You're claiming that the thread title format on a message board does not impact the on-ice performance of a bunch of professional athletes, none of whom post here?

How dare you.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

You're claiming that the thread title format on a message board does not impact the on-ice performance of a bunch of professional athletes, none of whom post here?

How dare you.

That was your 16k post I think.  

The Sabres have not won a Cup since you started posting.  You should probably stop.  ?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Except for what I have proposed.  You can't prove the "mysticism" is garbage until all formats and methods have been tried and put under the scrutiny of the scientific method.  

21 hours ago, ... said:

Except for what I have proposed.  You can't prove the "mysticism" is garbage until all formats and methods have been tried and put under the scrutiny of the scientific method.  

I'd insert a Blade meme here, but it would violate language filtering.  So I'll just quote it.

"Some mother******* are always trying to ice skate uphill."  ?

I agree with you, even if the rock will still roll back down the hill when you are done Sisyphus.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Well I tried a new style for today's GDT.  See if that works.

As an alternate, if you're feeling unsure, the surrealist GDT title for tonight would be:

Stevie! Stevie! My mucus doth wander! $%01100110 sKaTe SkAtE kurage

Edited by ...
my binary was missing two bytes. whatever
  • Haha (+1) 3

As someone who's lurked for a bit before joining, the 3 most important letters to me in the game day thread titles were always GDT combined with the date. Casual fans however might enjoy both the city name and sports club name, i.e. Florida Panthers.

How about whether it's a home or away game as well, built in to the title format. For example:

GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ New York Rangers

Then you can also add in the time it starts, going off of Eastern Standard Time since a majority of the fanbase is primarily in that time zone. Or you can do GMT+5 and have out of time zone fans correlate their respective time zones off of the GMT. I think EST is a bit easier though. For example:

GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Stars, 01/29/19, 8:30pm EST

And of course there is the information on broadcast. Should it be limited to Televised? What about those at work who have no access to TV, are they SOL? Surely we can do better than that and put in a permanent WGR550 clause for radio for new fans that are desperate to catch the fire inside for their yearning of SABRES passion. I.E.:

GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Start, 01/29/19, 8:30pm EST, WGR550(radio) MSG(televised)

And what about promotional GDT's? Something that catches the eye of the casual fan, that can be incorporated in to conversation of the board members, creating further fire, passion, emotion to those casual fans to join in. For Example:

GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Stars, 01/29/19, 8:30pm EST, WGR550(radio) MSG(televised), The Sabres travel to tame the shrew!

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ Dallas Stars, 01/29/19, 8:30pm EST

That's what I normally do, but I leave out the S, just ET.  That way I don't have to think about whether the clocks have changed and which side of that is S and stuff.

For tonight's game I did something different, mostly in reaction to this thread.  ?

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.