GDT: Sabres @ Blue Jackets 1/29/2019, 7PM, MSG

SABRES 0311

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Good one.

As an aside, for the last 10 minutes of the game, the only part of the game I could watch, Zach Bogosian looked in total command every time he touched the puck.

I don’t know if it’s obstinate adherence to the Gospel according to the Bunker, or fear of jinxing the shutout and sending him to the infirmary from third-degree delivery pizza burns in a Dallas hotel room tonight, but this is the underdiscussed story of the season, IMO.

The man has been a ***** Clydesdale back there.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t know if it’s obstinate adherence to the Gospel according to Bunker, or fear of jinxing the shutout and sending him to the infirmary from third-degree delivery pizza burns in a Dallas hotel room tonight, but this is the underdiscussed story of the season, IMO.

The man has been a ***** Clydesdale back there.

He's also been the D partner that makes the 1st overall pick look like a top pairing D more often than he should at only 18 & also makes their undrafted rookie D-man look like a solid addition to the top 4.  Really need to find a way to clone him because those 4 along with McCabe-Ristolainen would be extremely formidible.  Not quite Nashville formidible, but formidible none the less.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Didn't watch the third  had to leave for work, end of the 2nd was brutal, can anyone cover the left wing... or the guy coming late... wtf...  at the least the Sabres won and Bruins only got 1 point.  Off to Dallas.

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Dahlin up to 28 points now.

He wasn’t obvious at all tonight and had 2 assists and +4.

That’s where I see his game going as he matures: flashes of wow sprinkled into sustained periods of subtle dominance where he is just so smooth and perfect that you won’t immediately appreciate how he won the game for us.

He's got Sam’s mind and Jack’s talent. We are so lucky to have him. It’s going to be like having Dom, except he’s sober, reliable and wants to stay in Buffalo forever.

i'd love to see him be as dominating as dom.but he better be as good as orr then....if dom wasnt the greatest goalie of all time then he was top 2 .

Well that was FUN to watch. I've said it before and I will keep saying it, regardless of how this ends up, it is simply more fun to watch the games this year then it has been for a long long time.

Good to see some secondary scoring. I like the E-Rod Casey Sheary combo. Speed, speed and speed. Clearly, this is the way we plan to go as we (hopefully) get more talent on the roster. Okposo with Larsson and Zemgus seems like the best 4th line option at the moment.

Also thought Hunwick played a solid reliable game and I'd keep him as #6 for now. 

It's just fun to win, simple as that.  

• Like (+1) 2

I did not see the game, nor the highlights, nor read this thread.  Getting to busy with several December 31st year ends to sort out before March and April.

This was a MUST WIN (they all are) and they went into a team higher than them in the standings and did just that.

Fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

The first line is money, even if they're off. 

I enjoy that 2nd line, so fast (although in a perfect world, they're a good 3rd line) 

That 3rd line, woof, they looked not so good, sobotka is just not good, Pominville is just no longer useful (sadly) and Thompson is OK, but he's gonna spend most of his time making up for the other 2. 

4th line, does what they are supposed to, cycle in the O zone, maybe a chance here or there, but they grind it out ***** (shout of to HCDB) 

Hutton, idk what happened to him, he doesn't look the same, we're getting lehner (last year lehner) quality out of him, albeit with a better attitude ??

Coaching, well we are all building a bunker for HCPH, and I'm inclined to agree, I'm not sure he's the right guy, the PP was trash again, 2 icing calls!!! Cmon. I think there is more talent here than what we're getting. 

With that said, I don't think the talent here will take us to the cup, or even past round 1/2, but should take us to the playoffs, and if we don't make it, we have to consider a change. 

I think if we can Find a way to bring in a 2c, and upgrade our wingers, resign Skinner and go with Linus, we will be much better next year, replace P ville, okposo, sobotka and bring in youth, we may be on to something here ?

But we won!! So for tonight, Cheers! 

I think Zemgus and Okposo were much worse than Sobotka and pominville last night.     But you can see both Pominville and Okposo lack the wheels to keep up.

I think Sobotka is at least good in the defensive zone and Ideally would be on the 4th line with Zemgus and Larsson.     Sadly we have to many holes in our middle six still. 

• Like (+1) 1

One of the things I seemed to notice last night......... there were several times Foligno and Anderson tried to bring the hits and heavy game...... to change the direction. And it didn't work....... It was good to see the boys stay the course and not be intimidated. 

The hit by McCabe was awsome...........

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, he was the right player to target in the trade.  He's still growing into that goofy giraffe body but once he gets used to it I think he's going to be pretty wonderful.  When he walked the puck in before shooting and then scored, I didn't help or cheer or anything; I was certain as soon as he skated into the open ice that he would score, so there was no surprise at all.

I notice when the puck's in the O-zone and his linemates have it, he alternates between covering the other team's outlet pass and looking for soft spots in the zone.  It's hard for someone his size to hide, but he tries.

There was a rush late in the game that would have been a two-on-one but he really got on his horse and kept up with the Columbus winger.  In the end the pass didn't get through, but he was in the best position he could manage to stop the play.

I mentioned earlier, but Tage made a nice hit in the first.  I think the first time I saw him blast someone into the boards.  Not a dramatic thing, but solid and dominate, like we need all of the softies on the team to do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Couple of things very noticeable. First was the physical game, finishing checks, second was the speed of guys, not only up the ice but decision making, looked sharp. Third was guys going to the slot in the O-zone, it definitely was noticeable and paid dividends in a big way on the score sheet, especially on Tage's goal.

The question is whether or not they can keep it up. I think they're well rested at the moment, but the bumps and bruises are going to start adding up again.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The question is whether or not they can keep it up. I think they're well rested at the moment, but the bumps and bruises are going to start adding up again.

True. I am hoping they've found a way to overcome that. It would be so nice to make the playoffs while not giving up prime assets to add to the roster, maybe just move a UFA or 2? I know, I know, I won't hold my breathe, but last nights game just gave me such a teaser, especially on the offensive side. If they roll 10 than falter again, like earlier in the season, I'm going to nickname that feeling I have the "Soft Woody". It looks and feels so right, until you try and use it for any type of commitments ?

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

True. I am hoping they've found a way to overcome that. It would be so nice to make the playoffs while not giving up prime assets to add to the roster, maybe just move a UFA or 2? I know, I know, I won't hold my breathe, but last nights game just gave me such a teaser, especially on the offensive side. If they roll 10 than falter again, like earlier in the season, I'm going to nickname that feeling I have the "Soft Woody". It looks and feels so right, until you try and use it for any type of commitments ?

.... I heard my name, who's calling me soft ?

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, Bogo did kinda get caught watching on Foligno’s PPG tonight, but I agree that he’s had a great bounceback season.  

If I'm thinking of the same goal as you are, Bogosian actually had the man along the boards where the pass came from, McCabe is actually the defender that had a case of ADD on the play. Also when he did get in on the play instead of taking the man, McCabe kept swiping at the puck with his stick and missed giving Foligno carte blanche in front of the net.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.