Oilers vs Sabres - who has the brighter future?

GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, jame said:

They were both UFAs who Buffalo made massive offers to, and neither even came to meet with the team.

Parise did not sign with his "current team", he went from NJ to Minny. Stamkos, although he re-signed, went to market.

Yes, we offered Tavares too.

Stamkos stayed with his team. If anything that argument might strengthen yours, that players sign with their current team. 

The way you are presenting this argument is weak IMPO. Stamkos and Tavares didn't pick other places because Buffalo. Tavares went home and Stamkos stayed. Parise got offered a ridiculously overpriced contract to go to Minnesota. I don't see any of these players not coming to Buffalo just because it was Buffalo. 

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We are all forgetting that Oilers have a better coach.

I sad that Buffalo was not smart enough or able to hire Gallant. I think he would have been a good coach for us. 

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Stamkos stayed with his team. If anything that argument might strengthen yours, that players sign with their current team. 

The way you are presenting this argument is weak IMPO. Stamkos and Tavares didn't pick other places because Buffalo. Tavares went home and Stamkos stayed. Parise got offered a ridiculously overpriced contract to go to Minnesota. I don't see any of these players not coming to Buffalo just because it was Buffalo. 

I sad that Buffalo was not smart enough or able to hire Gallant. I think he would have been a good coach for us. 

Didn't Parise basically "go home" also, besides the contract he got? 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes

So you’ve established that big name UFAs stay where they are, go home, or chase a massive contract... the only scenario that would get Staal here is the “staying where they are” scenario which requires acquiring him in advance.

14 hours ago, jame said:

Making a list of 2nd line centers doesn’t show how easy they are to acquire. Saying “Barzal, Point, Johansen, ROR” doesn’t support a false statement that “1st line centers are easy to acquire”

The argument was never that 1st line centres are easy to aquire, though.

My original point was that second line centres are easier to acquire than first line centres. 

Even accepting your assertion that you need a 1st line centre on your second line, if you want to contend for a cup, does little to oppose the fundamental point of my original argument: that this Sabres team down the middle is easier fixed that those Roy/Vanek teams: If we need another 1st line centre now, like you say, then that team needed 2. 

Edited by Thorny

12 hours ago, jame said:

It’s a counter to the idea that 2nd line centers on a contender are immeasurably easier to acquire.

my position is you need 2 top center... we were dumb enough to trade out of that scenario and it is going to be incredibly difficult to get it back... 

top centers are difficult to acquire period. 

Was never a part of my original post on the matter. 

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The argument was never that 1st line centres are easy to aquire, though.

My original point was that second line centres are easier to acquire than first line centres. Why anyone would take issue with a statement like that I have no idea.

Even accepting your assertion that you need a 1st line centre on your second line, if you want to contend for a cup, does little to oppose the fundamental, obviously apparent point of my original argument: that this Sabres team down the middle is easier fixed that those Roy/Vanek teams: If we need another 1st line centre now, like you say, then that team needed 2. 

Fair

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.tsn.ca/chiarelli-s-successor-facing-nhl-s-most-challenging-fix-1.1246065

FYI

Also there are questions regarding their 2 top forward prospects/young players.  Yamamoto was just sent down and Pujujarvi apparently on the trade block. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.tsn.ca/chiarelli-s-successor-facing-nhl-s-most-challenging-fix-1.1246065

FYI

Also there are questions regarding their 2 top forward prospects/young players.  Yamamoto was just sent down and Pujujarvi apparently on the trade block. 

Mostly likely because they want to keep him playing games during the all star break.

13 hours ago, jame said:

So you’ve established that big name UFAs stay where they are, go home, or chase a massive contract... the only scenario that would get Staal here is the “staying where they are” scenario which requires acquiring him in advance.

Staal isn't going to be a "big name" UFA. He isn't Stamkos or Tavares or Parise level. Those guys were all under 30 looking to get paid. 

I will rephrase because I think you have it wrong, they stay with the team that drafted them. Staal has moved around on. This is comparing apples to oranges. He isn't at the same point in his career as the other guys. There is no reason to avoid Buffalo, because Buffalo. Money is probably going to dictate where Staal goes next and little else. He's got another 2-4 years in the league probably. 

No you are wrong. Here is proof. Why didn't Staal stay with the Rangers? https://www.nhl.com/news/eric-staal-agrees-to-three-year-contract-with-minnesota/c-281092002 

Answer because NYC? Your logic is flawed and the idea we have to acquire Staal or else is also wrong. If Botterill wants Staal (which I doubt) then he can acquire him for free this offseason and not piss away first round picks. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Staal isn't going to be a "big name" UFA. He isn't Stamkos or Tavares or Parise level. Those guys were all under 30 looking to get paid. 

I will rephrase because I think you have it wrong, they stay with the team that drafted them. Staal has moved around on. This is comparing apples to oranges. He isn't at the same point in his career as the other guys. There is no reason to avoid Buffalo, because Buffalo. Money is probably going to dictate where Staal goes next and little else. He's got another 2-4 years in the league probably. 

He would be a nice add, but I wouldn't trade for him.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No you are wrong. Here is proof. Why didn't Staal stay with the Rangers? https://www.nhl.com/news/eric-staal-agrees-to-three-year-contract-with-minnesota/c-281092002 

Answer because NYC? Your logic is flawed and the idea we have to acquire Staal or else is also wrong. If Botterill wants Staal (which I doubt) then he can acquire him for free this offseason and not piss away first round picks. 

He's made over 80 million in his career... not sure why you think money will dictate his next location.

It has less to do with avoiding Buffalo, and more to do with Buffalo having nothing more than hope and money to offer. There's a huge difference between having built in relations with a coaching staff, lockerroom and community, along with an informed view of the team's real potential vs Buffalo just being another team with a contract offer out there.

10 minutes ago, jame said:

He's made over 80 million in his career... not sure why you think money will dictate his next location.

It has less to do with avoiding Buffalo, and more to do with Buffalo having nothing more than hope and money to offer. There's a huge difference between having built in relations with a coaching staff, lockerroom and community, along with an informed view of the team's real potential vs Buffalo just being another team with a contract offer out there.

Okay but that isn't worth burning multiple assets for. 

to the bolded, why wouldn't it? Maybe he values a cup run more. In that case he could sign in Tampa for pennies. I don't think spending 3 months in Buffalo is going to drastically alter his mind. Sure you have a point about him learning the lockerroom and seeing if it is a fit but again, that isn't worth trading multiple assets for. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Okay but that isn't worth burning multiple assets for. 

to the bolded, why wouldn't it? Maybe he values a cup run more. In that case he could sign in Tampa for pennies. I don't think spending 3 months in Buffalo is going to drastically alter his mind. Sure you have a point about him learning the lockerroom and seeing if it is a fit but again, that isn't worth trading multiple assets for. 

It's worth the assets to improve the team now, win now, etc

The impact on the ability to re-sign him is an additional benefit.

One conversation with Skinner would give him the lowdown on the Sabres locker room.

He's been in the league for 16 years, has 2 brothers that have played for a long time as well, these guys know a lot about NHL cities.

He did not sign with Minnesota because they were the main contender, they offered good $$, a good role, 3 years and the opportunity to play "near" his hometown of Thunder Bay.

If JBot thinks he can help he can go after him hard on July 1st. Someone will pay more than the Sabres should for a rental scenario.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.