Democratic Presidential hopefuls and your thoughts

North Buffalo

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

If Biden gets the nomination I'll vote for him. If it's Sanders, I'm voting for Trump. Hopefully the Dems don't ***** this up today. 

You can always help a struggling third party remain ballot-eligible.  

Or maybe it doesn't work that way in Kentucky.  

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You can always help a struggling third party remain ballot-eligible.  

Or maybe it doesn't work that way in Kentucky.  

Kentucky? I'm in the Nashville area, have been since 04. Half hour commute to Fort Campbell, which is mostly in Tennessee. The post office just happens to be on the Kentucky side. 

I understand your feelings towards third party candidates, and respect them. We just have different views on it, no need to be snarky. 

49 minutes ago, Hank said:

Kentucky? I'm in the Nashville area, have been since 04. Half hour commute to Fort Campbell, which is mostly in Tennessee. The post office just happens to be on the Kentucky side. 

I understand your feelings towards third party candidates, and respect them. We just have different views on it, no need to be snarky. 

I wasn't being snarky!

Your location thing says you're in Kentucky so that's why I thought that.

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

I wasn't being snarky!

Your location thing says you're in Kentucky so that's why I thought that.

"Or maybe it doesn't work that way in Kentucky." Came across as snarky. If you say you didn't mean it that way I believe you. It's often difficult to understand intent/context (I'm not really sure what word is appropriate here) on the internet.  My apologies. 

12 minutes ago, Hank said:

"Or maybe it doesn't work that way in Kentucky." Came across as snarky. If you say you didn't mean it that way I believe you. It's often difficult to understand intent/context (I'm not really sure what word is appropriate here) on the internet.  My apologies. 

No all I meant was that I shouldn't be presuming that third party ballot access works in KY the same way it does in NY.

I get what you mean about tone not coming across the internet.

Just now, Eleven said:

No all I meant was that I shouldn't be presuming that third party ballot access works in KY the same way it does in NY.

I get what you mean about tone not coming across the internet.

Yes, tone. That's the word I was looking for. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, Hank said:

If Biden gets the nomination I'll vote for him. If it's Sanders, I'm voting for Trump. Hopefully the Dems don't ***** this up today. 

You can vote for anyone you want, the is still America after all, and I respect that. I just find it baffling how anyone who has sworn an oath to defend the constitution could still vote for our impeached president Trump.

… anyone who has a daughter, too.

Edited by SwampD

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

You can vote for anyone you want, the is still America after all, and I respect that. I just find it baffling how anyone who has sworn an oath to defend the constitution could still vote for our impeached president Trump.

… anyone who has a daughter, too.

Only over Bernie, lesser of two evils IMO. 

22 minutes ago, SwampD said:

No way is that the lesser of two evils. And I think Bernie is bat ***** crazy. Trump doesn't care about America.

Well then, let's agree to disagree on the lesser issue. 

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

Well then, let's agree to disagree on the lesser issue. 

If those were my choices, I wouldn’t vote for either.

Trump certainly only cares about Trump, and he most certainly doesn’t care about the Constitution.

Edited by SwampD

19 minutes ago, SwampD said:

If those were my choices, I wouldn’t vote for either.

Trump certainly only cares about Trump, and he most certainly doesn’t care about the Constitution.

Choosing to not vote this election is also understandable. I have no interest in a Trump discussion, have a good night. 

Bloomberg dropped out and is now supporting Biden. 

Biden did better than I thought he would and has a lead, I'm happy about that. 

Warren finished third in her own state. 

Speaking of Warren, I think she picked up 38 delegates last night. Was it reasonable to believe she had no chance of winning the nomination? 

If she had dropped out do you think the votes she received yesterday would have more likely gone to Bernie, Biden or pretty much evenly split?

Do you think those 38 delegates going to another candidate was enough to make a difference?

Is it selfish of her that she didn't drop out for the good of the party?

Questions are for no one in particular, just hoping to get some opinions. 

On 3/6/2020 at 6:11 AM, LGR4GM said:

Oh goody. We get the option of 1 of 3 old white guys and probably at least 2 of them are suffering from dementia or other age related diseases. Fantastic. 

Out of everything in this post I actually only have a problem with one part. What is the point of the white guy statement?

On 3/8/2020 at 4:31 AM, SABRES 0311 said:

Out of everything in this post I actually only have a problem with one part. What is the point of the white guy statement?

They weren't and are not the best candidates. They are there and have been elected partially because a large proportion of the voting demographic identify that a president is a older white male. Obama is the only person in history to defy that narrative. I suppose you could throw in JFK as he was young. The point is that we have a group think situation in the US where old white males are in charge and make the decisions for everyone even though they lack a lot of the perspectives of different groups such as women, African Americans, in this case Millennials. I want a fresh take. Biden and Trump are not. I suppose Bernie is a little but honestly healthcare for all is everyone except the US so even that isn't truly revolutionary. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

They weren't and are not the best candidates. They are there and have been elected partially because a large proportion of the voting demographic identify that a president is a older white male. Obama is the only person in history to defy that narrative. I suppose you could throw in JFK as he was young. The point is that we have a group think situation in the US where old white males are in charge and make the decisions for everyone even though they lack a lot of the perspectives of different groups such as women, African Americans, in this case Millennials. I want a fresh take. Biden and Trump are not. I suppose Bernie is a little but honestly healthcare for all is everyone except the US so even that isn't truly revolutionary. 

Biden and Sanders are still in it because the left thinks they have the best chance of beating Trump. Trump is abrasive and the other potentials were soft. The exception was Tulsi but people don’t know enough about her yet. She will be back in the future. The mantra is “vote blue no matter who”. Democrat voters don’t care about policy they care about who they think can beat Trump.

I don’t like either candidate either but playing the race card is old.

52 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They weren't and are not the best candidates. They are there and have been elected partially because(1) a large proportion of the voting demographic identify that a president is a older white male. Obama is the only person in history to defy that narrative. I suppose you could throw in JFK as he was young.(2) The point is that we have a group think situation in the US where old white males are in charge and make the decisions for everyone even though they lack a lot of the perspectives of different groups such as women, African Americans, in this case Millennials.(3) I want a fresh take. Biden and Trump are not. I suppose Bernie is a little but honestly healthcare for all is everyone except the US so even that isn't truly revolutionary. 

Ok. I need to point some facts out for you. 

(1)Wrong. The correct way to phrase this? A large part of the participating voting demographic identify that a president is an older white male.

Key word? Participating.

(2)Wrong. There are probably as many older white males that are empathetic to the plight of women and African Americans as any Millennial I've ever met. Probably at a higher rate too as they've had more time for that empathy to grow. You've used a very unfair and false blanket statement that does nothing to bolster your point.

(3)This one really pisses me off. THEN GET INVOLVED!!! BTW, bemoaning the situation on the internet does absolutely nothing, NADA, to change things. My wife and I both volunteer for our local Dem party and at 47 and 43 years old we are the babies in the group! Where are all the Millennials with their outrage and their energy? There are literally no Millennials involved around here. I interact with that age group weekly and listen to their complaints and give them real life things they could do to help. Phone calls, door to door, etc and not a single one of them have lifted a GD finger to help. You know who I blame when a convicted felon like Collins wins a seat in the House? I'm so ***** tired of the whining. If you don't like the state of affairs then DO SOMETHING TANGIBLE! It's sad that my 43 yo wife is the social media person for our local Dem party when there is an available Millennial who is very comfortable with that platform waiting for the next white guy to win so they can bitch about it. It's sad that there is no influx of voices. You Millennials want to sit around and bitch about about the same people getting involved without lifting a single finger. ***** sad.

33 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Biden and Sanders are still in it because the left thinks they have the best chance of beating Trump. Trump is abrasive and the other potentials were soft. The exception was Tulsi but people don’t know enough about her yet. She will be back in the future. The mantra is “vote blue no matter who”. Democrat voters don’t care about policy they care about who they think can beat Trump.

I don’t like either candidate either but playing the race card is old.

Might be old but it is relevant.

Elizabeth Warren is soft? Kamala Harris is soft? Amy Klobucher is soft? Now maybe you have a different definition of soft but those 3 were most assuredly not soft. I am glad that you agree that being a man gives you a certain privileged when it comes to the presidential race though. 

Tulsi is not tough, you like Tulsi and label her "tough" because she more aligns with your political ideology. 

I do agree that many democrats care about who can beat trump. The sad thing is, that's because they don't understand the shifting demographics or ideals of a country that is now roughly 45% independent. 

38 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Ok. I need to point some facts out for you. 

(1)Wrong. The correct way to phrase this? A large part of the participating voting demographic identify that a president is an older white male.

Key word? Participating.

(2)Wrong. There are probably as many older white males that are empathetic to the plight of women and African Americans as any Millennial I've ever met. Probably at a higher rate too as they've had more time for that empathy to grow. You've used a very unfair and false blanket statement that does nothing to bolster your point.

(3)This one really pisses me off. THEN GET INVOLVED!!! BTW, bemoaning the situation on the internet does absolutely nothing, NADA, to change things. My wife and I both volunteer for our local Dem party and at 47 and 43 years old we are the babies in the group! Where are all the Millennials with their outrage and their energy? There are literally no Millennials involved around here. I interact with that age group weekly and listen to their complaints and give them real life things they could do to help. Phone calls, door to door, etc and not a single one of them have lifted a GD finger to help. You know who I blame when a convicted felon like Collins wins a seat in the House? I'm so ***** tired of the whining. If you don't like the state of affairs then DO SOMETHING TANGIBLE! It's sad that my 43 yo wife is the social media person for our local Dem party when there is an available Millennial who is very comfortable with that platform waiting for the next white guy to win so they can bitch about it. It's sad that there is no influx of voices. You Millennials want to sit around and bitch about about the same people getting involved without lifting a single finger. ***** sad.

1) Okay, you are nitpicking semantics but I can agree with that. Maybe we should be asking why others are not participating. 

2) I never said there were not white males who are sympathetic. Your reading comprehension failed you. I specifically talked about the experiences of older white males compared to others. I specifically used the word perspective so you can try again with your "wrong" on that one. Old white men do not have the same perspective on life as the groups I mentioned regardless. Rich old white guys even less so. It is why you have president talking about showing ID's to buy groceries. It is why I would never have voted for Bloomberg because he doesn't remember what it was like to poor or marginalized. Those with power tend to view the system as working and it clearly is not. 

3) This really pisses me off as well because you assume I am not involved. Not only am I involved but part of that involvement is here on the internet "bemoaning". I am not a democrat and will not volunteer for their party. I feel neither party has any interest in representing me. I get involved in other ways though. Voter registration is a big one that I feel is important as it benefits the individual more than the party. I also try and volunteer to teach about voting rights. I also vote my conscious instead of a party line which I am going to guess is something we could talk about. My problem with your response is that you fail to recognize that maybe people are not involved because they have been beaten down by a system that systematically refuses to acknowledge they exist and constantly does what you just did, ***** all over any who is younger and/or isn't doing it the way you did.

Finally the fact that I read up on and discuss politics is involvement. The founders thought that the fundamental principle of a democracy was a well educated voting populous. Therefore to suggest that "I am not involved" because I am debating politics in a forum you don't recognize as legit, is piss poor logic at best. 

• Like (+1) 1

So I will not back down from the idea that in 21st century America is sucks that the only people who can become president this election cycle are old white men, 2 of which have clear signs of dementia. Or do we think Biden gets confused easily just cuz and that Trump gets confused and slurs just cuz? Bernie might as well but those were the 2 examples that came to mind. It would have been nice to have a women in particular as president because that is an entirely different world perspective. But I see that I triggered some people by suggesting old white guys with re-tread ideas don't excite me. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Might be old but it is relevant.

Elizabeth Warren is soft? Kamala Harris is soft? Amy Klobucher is soft? Now maybe you have a different definition of soft but those 3 were most assuredly not soft. I am glad that you agree that being a man gives you a certain privileged when it comes to the presidential race though. 

Tulsi is not tough, you like Tulsi and label her "tough" because she more aligns with your political ideology. 

I do agree that many democrats care about who can beat trump. The sad thing is, that's because they don't understand the shifting demographics or ideals of a country that is now roughly 45% independent. 

Where did I agree being a man gives you a privilege?

Yes, every one of those women were soft. Tulsi smashed Harris on her past and Harris’ sordid history didn’t help either. Warren was trying to demonstrate more energy than she had which is not the first time she pretended to be something she is not. Klobuchar was simply forgettable. I’m pretty sure HRC, as much as I dislike her, could take Biden. 

If you think I see Tulsi as tougher because she somehow aligns with my political views then I’d say you need to stop playing the race and gender card. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Your reading comprehension failed you.

No it didn’t. You heavily implied that old white men don’t have the perspective on minorities that other groups do. That is a false statement that I could disprove countless times. Just because our president is a racist doesn’t mean all people in that demographic are. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Voter registration

This is absolutely vital in the necessary areas and I commend you for your efforts but let’s not fool ourselves, Hillary crushed him in vote totals but that didn’t provide enough from the EC. We need boots on the ground in those places to get enough EC votes to out this current idiot. 

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

because they have been beaten down by a system

JFC. If your “beat down” by 24 yo then God help you with the rest of your life!

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Finally the fact that I read up on and discuss politics is involvement.

....on an anonymous message board. As I’ve suggested above, we need boots on the ground in key areas, not anonymous banter.