Jump to content

Democratic Presidential hopefuls and your thoughts


Recommended Posts

With Kamala Harris announcing she is running today. Senator from Cal and former Attny Gen of Cal thought it was a good time to put together a list of announced and rumored hopefuls and discuss them.  

List link: https://abc7news.com/politics/whos-running-for-president-in-2020-list-of-possible-dem-candidates/5047818/

 

Edited by North Buffalo
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call. This field is going to be a mess and the media coverage is going to be dreadful.

Might as well start vetting candidates now so that some actual competition takes place in 2020.

I think a lot of the early announcers are going to find themselves left behind as stronger candidates push them out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes in really late in the game and steals the show.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say this:  Pelosi is going to hurt each and every one of them.  Re-electing her as Speaker is going to turn out to be a huge mistake.

Warren might as well bow out now; she's far too controversial.

Not sure how Gillibrand will fare, either.

The others, with whom I'm not extremely familiar, are Richard Ojeda, John Delaney, Andrew Yang, Julian Castro, and Tulsi Gabbard.  

What we really need is an old man who is out of touch with what the future of the country should look like.  /s

 

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Joe Biden get his ass kicked will be...sad. Necessary, but sad.

There are going to be a lot of Democrat candidates who will have to answer for their pasts. That's not as easy of a hill to climb in this party as it is in the GOP. That said, I think if the party is shifting and looking for someone who comes off as "genuine", dealing with those skeletons is going to show who is capable of growth and being the face of the party. 

And I hope any prospective presidential candidates are keeping an eye on the current media sensation AOC. I'm not sure what to make of her yet, but she seems to get more popular every day, which is important if you're interested in keeping your finger on the pulse of a large part of the party.

Lots of things mucking up the water at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darksabre said:

Watching Joe Biden get his ass kicked will be...sad. Necessary, but sad.

There are going to be a lot of Democrat candidates who will have to answer for their pasts. That's not as easy of a hill to climb in this party as it is in the GOP. That said, I think if the party is shifting and looking for someone who comes off as "genuine", dealing with those skeletons is going to show who is capable of growth and being the face of the party. 

And I hope any prospective presidential candidates are keeping an eye on the current media sensation AOC. I'm not sure what to make of her yet, but she seems to get more popular every day, which is important if you're interested in keeping your finger on the pulse of a large part of the party.

Lots of things mucking up the water at the moment.

AOC needs to calm down and spend some time learning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Eleven said:

AOC needs to calm down and spend some time learning.

I'm not sure if this is totally sarcastic or not, but I understand if there is apprehension about her being a freshman in congress. I'm not fully on the bandwagon yet, but I admit that I'm watching to see what she does.

Unfortunately the government being shut down hasn't given her much opportunity to try to do anything with her current celebrity status (and residence inside the minds of pretty much everyone in the GOP and its commentariat).

It'll be interesting to see what happens whenever things finally reopen. A freshman house representative really shouldn't be getting this much publicity, but here we are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I'm not sure if this is totally sarcastic or not, but I understand if there is apprehension about her being a freshman in congress. I'm not fully on the bandwagon yet, but I admit that I'm watching to see what she does.

Unfortunately the government being shut down hasn't given her much opportunity to try to do anything with her current celebrity status (and residence inside the minds of pretty much everyone in the GOP and its commentariat).

It'll be interesting to see what happens whenever things finally reopen. A freshman house representative really shouldn't be getting this much publicity, but here we are.

I remember a certain freshman senator getting all sorts of publicity, but Obama had been a state senator for years.  AOC has no relevant previous experience and needs to pipe down and learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I remember a certain freshman senator getting all sorts of publicity, but Obama had been a state senator for years.  AOC has no relevant previous experience and needs to pipe down and learn.

I'm fine with what she's doing at the moment. It's good for the party to have some personalities pushing the public debate on what the Democratic party is/should be.

The picture would be pretty bleak on the day-to-day if the only people doing any politicking for the Democrats were Chuck and Nancy.

Were you a Bernie supporter? I don't remember.

Link to post
Share on other sites

AOC is young and I don't mind that she is turning heads.  She seems to be in touch with the younger crowd which is good for the Dems imo.  She does need some time to learn the game a little better while still keeping her passion.  Harris is interesting, prosecuting attorney, San Fran AG and State AG before becoming Cali Senator, has a few controversial decisions... but seems to be a straight shooter.  Talked to my brother an Attny in the Bay Area, said he's met her and she is what you see a straight shooter.  

On  a personal note, I read her bio and she was getting taken around Berkeley campus in the sixties as a child with her parents during the free speech and civil rights protests... well that is where I was in the first be-ins and sit in with my folks who were getting their graduate degrees.  Don't remember much but saw an old 8mm vid of me running around as a 2-3 year old at one of them and my dad in a jacket and tie as most folks were at the time until 68...   We were born 2 months apart... so it got me interested in her... haven't made up my mind but like her toughness and anyone taking on Trump is going to need to be tough...

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Eleven said:

I'll say this:  Pelosi is going to hurt each and every one of them.  Re-electing her as Speaker is going to turn out to be a huge mistake.

Warren might as well bow out now; she's far too controversial.

Not sure how Gillibrand will fare, either.

The others, with whom I'm not extremely familiar, are Richard Ojeda, John Delaney, Andrew Yang, Julian Castro, and Tulsi Gabbard.  

What we really need is an old man who is out of touch with what the future of the country should look like.  /s

 

Depends on which Pelosi we get, the one who is even keeled seems to be eating Trump's lunch lately, but if she goes on doing to many stump speeches and seems weird then yeh you are right... Also, that lady can raise a ton of cash for whoever she backs or is the nominee... don't underestimate her influence in a positive manner... Lady knows how to work a back room.

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

I'm fine with what she's doing at the moment. It's good for the party to have some personalities pushing the public debate on what the Democratic party is/should be.

The picture would be pretty bleak on the day-to-day if the only people doing any politicking for the Democrats were Chuck and Nancy.

Were you a Bernie supporter? I don't remember.

God I can't stand Bernie... crazy old man... some good things, some downright nutty stuff and won't commit to anything... I am ok with him not having a party affiliation, but then stay the heck away from the Democratic Party.

Edited by North Buffalo
Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, I didn't bring up Bernie to bash him or his supporters or anything. I just think AOC's popularity right now is certainly an extension of the conversation Bernie started in the party.

AOC being named to the House Oversight Committee along with other freshmen is an interesting and unexpected look for the Democrats.

I wonder if there is some game theory going on here?

I think, if the party were smart, they would allow AOC to take the spotlight from Bernie with respect to being the socialist face of the party. Bernie certainly holds sway over a party he doesn't belong to and that, rightfully, rubs people the wrong way. Accepting AOC could be a good move to limit Bernie's participation and influence over what is going to be a very grueling primary process.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Beto O’Rourke. To win, you need votes from the other side. In this environment it is going to have to be a white man.

Hate to say it but that’s where we are and it’s true.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SwampD said:

Beto O’Rourke. To win, you need votes from the other side. In this environment it is going to have to be a white man.

Hate to say it but that’s where we are and it’s true.

I don't really agree with you about needing "the other side". Even Hillary could have won in 2016 if regular old Democrats showed up in their normal numbers. A Democrat would win basically every time if Democrat voters were as dedicated as their GOP counterparts. The problem is that Democrat voters like to psyche themselves out. They're much more inclined to stay home, which is a habit the party needs to do a better job of breaking.

I do agree that Beto could be a good candidate though. He's a natural politician and he, like AOC, is stealing some of Bernie's thunder in the party. He's not a socialist, but he's got the grass-roots thing down pat. He also has a less questionable past than some of the early Dem candidates, which I think favors him when things get ugly.

Not to mention that his campaign in Texas is probably one of the toughest any Democrat has run in a very long time. He should know full well what he's up against as a Pres candidate. Texas was invaluable practice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, darksabre said:

Good call. This field is going to be a mess and the media coverage is going to be dreadful.

Might as well start vetting candidates now so that some actual competition takes place in 2020.

I think a lot of the early announcers are going to find themselves left behind as stronger candidates push them out. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes in really late in the game and steals the show.

To respond to this...

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

Beto O’Rourke. To win, you need votes from the other side. In this environment it is going to have to be a white man.

Hate to say it but that’s where we are and it’s true.

I think Beto is going to announce late and build on the interest and support his 2018 campaign generated. I think he is the perfect mix of what traditional democrats would like (white male, strong presence in a key swing state) while also resonating strongly with the younger, social media generation of voters. The rest of the nominees so far have such a long way to go to build up public awareness and support of their "brand" that I don't think they can overcome if a more recognizable name announces. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

To respond to this...

I think Beto is going to announce late and build on the interest and support his 2018 campaign generated. I think he is the perfect mix of what traditional democrats would like (white male, strong presence in a key swing state) while also resonating strongly with the younger, social media generation of voters. The rest of the nominees so far have such a long way to go to build up public awareness and support of their "brand" that I don't think they can overcome if a more recognizable name announces. 

I agree that if Beto does decide to run it will be late in the game. I think, having just exhausted himself trying to beat Ted Cruz, he needs some time to sit and watch things unfold. If the Democratic pool still looks murky in the fall, I think he'll jump in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Off topic. Has anyone seen proof of life or heard any update on RBG?

No, but it's tough to imagine her hanging on for two more years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eleven said:

No, but it's tough to imagine her hanging on for two more years.

I heard she might retire at the end of the month. Who knows? The only thing I’ve seen in the news is when Fox mistakenly put a tribute to her on the screen which announced her death.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

I heard she might retire at the end of the month. Who knows? The only thing I’ve seen in the news is when Fox mistakenly put a tribute to her on the screen which announced her death.

She is now a lego in a movie and right wingers cant stand it

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SwampD said:

I don’t think either one is running for president.

HRC has not ruled out a candidacy. Wouldn’t be hard for her to become the Dem front runner because people will look at it as some type of shot at redemption. She also has no problem putting on whatever face she needs to so adopting these goofy talking points should be easy.

I’ll give her some credit though. She would be the only one on the left with an answer to the question of how we are going to pay for free tuition and healthcare for all. 

Edited by SABRES 0311
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

64714BA6-81FA-4109-9BE7-D6787AC0D201.jpeg

Let me guess. Free tuition, free healthcare, abortions at three years old.

I'm fairly perplexed at this comment. Are you referring to allowing mother's to abort a child up until three years old or for three year olds to get abortions (which of course would be some kind of medical anomaly the likes which has never been seen). 

You might be overstating it a little bit, ya think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...