Democratic Presidential hopefuls and your thoughts

North Buffalo

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Me being annoyed that we are getting the same perspective from the same demographic once again in an election shouldn't have been such a conversation sparking gesture. 

But it was. It’s the same EXACT argument that I was making 25 yrs ago. I learned that my “bemoaning” wasn’t particularly helpful so I simply started getting involved. Your a passionate debater. USE IT, man! I agree that we should have more younger people to choose from so stop wasting your youth arguing on the GD internet with me and get out there! Call the local committees from all the political parties in your area and volunteer to help them out with stuff. At the very least your going to hear ideas and get yours heard. Don’t waste your time being cynical or my aged Lgr will be just like me, accepting that you have to work within the process if you want any success.

• 5 weeks later...

With Bernie suspending his campaign today, making Biden the defacto nominee, it's time to see just how much the Twitter "politics buffs" of my generation have managed to not learn over the last 4 years. 

I'm all in on pushing this party left. I believe in policies like M4A. I supported Warren and Sanders. But the left still doesn't seem understand that this shift wouldn't be easy. They thought the Democratic party would just capitulate to their ideas despite the fact that most of the party base is moderate. The party's most important voters right now still aren't leftist millennials, they're moderate minorities. And moderate minorites like Biden, and didn't like Hillary. What are you gonna do about that?

It took decades for the GOP to push itself to the extreme right and achieve its goals (as terrible as those goals may be), and that's with a base that follows with blind confidence. It's going to take more than two Presidential races to push the Democrats left, a party made of people who regularly self-doubt. 

Today I weep.  My choices boil down to two candidates who are both well beyond their peak abilities.  One is despicable, and the other isn't terribly likeable.

And not even a 3rd party candidate of any chops.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Today I weep.  My choices boil down to two candidates who are both well beyond their peak abilities.  One is despicable, and the other isn't terribly likeable.

And not even a 3rd party candidate of any chops.

Really feels like we've reached the bottom of American politics. How can anyone be satisfied with this? 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

Really feels like we've reached the bottom of American politics. How can anyone be satisfied with this? 

It seems there are plenty of party faithful on either side that are getting what they want.......

1 hour ago, Weave said:

It seems there are plenty of party faithful on either side that are getting what they want.......

I think any Democrat who is happy with this might as well be a Republican, so I can see how that makes sense. 

My very limited, and somewhat ignorant point of view is Dems voted for the candidate they believed has a better chance of beating Trump regardless of if they liked Bernie better. Personally, I think they got it right. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My very limited, and somewhat ignorant point of view is Dems voted for the candidate they believed has a better chance of beating Trump regardless of if they liked Bernie better. Personally, I think they got it right. 

I think this is right as well, but only because it comes down to straight demographics. Hillary lost to Trump because no one liked her, not even the people who voted for her husband.

Biden is a pretty dumpy candidate, but the base likes him. The people who will actually show up and vote like him. My Twitter is awash with 20-35 year olds who are big mad about Biden, but they still haven't figured out that their age group, my age group, sucks at actually showing up. 

And at the end of the day, politics is really only about the people who show up.

11 hours ago, Hank said:

I don't think that's an ignorant point of view at all.  It's exactly what happened.

• 1 month later...