GDT - Sabres @ Vancouver - January 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM - SNP; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

52 minutes ago, R_Dudley said:

Nice use of stats masquerading as charts,  Ducks and runs for cover... 

Lol. I love Tierney's charts. So pretty!

They often confuse me, though. Tierney's Corsi graphs plot the Sabres right between "Dull" and "Bad." I struggle with how to translate that into normal hockey/sports-speak. Like - what does it mean to be betwixt and between being dull and bad? Also, I have often found that characterization (dull/bad) would not really square with my experience in watching the team. I dunno.

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

They often confuse me, though. Tierney's Corsi graphs plot the Sabres right between "Dull" and "Bad." I struggle with how to translate that into normal hockey/sports-speak. Like - what does it mean to be betwixt and between being dull and bad? Also, I have often found that characterization (dull/bad) would not really square with my experience in watching the team. I dunno.

Almost sounds like the charts are somewhere between BS and horsecock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Sabres play tonight ... so forget all your duties, oh yeah ... ?

Seems like we will not be able to watch our Swedish hottie(s) take on their Swedish hottie.

Just give me another win and I do not care how, or what it looks like.

I can fly to Europe much faster than I can get to see duda, buno, or Rick ... this geography lesson brought to you by NS.

The most MUST WIN!! since the last MUST WIN!!

So, 

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

I will be sleeping in tomorrow! 

• Like (+1) 1

This is actually interesting and something people hopefully do enjoy. It shows the Sabres and the Canucks side by side. https://www.waveintel.org/versus?platform=hootsuite

SabresVancouver.PNG

Getting ahead on Vancouver causes them a ton of issues where as the Sabres have a better comeback ability. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

His controlled breakouts are crazy high. His controlled zone entries are also crazy high.

Is that what the chart is about? And does this one dude "hand track" every possession-exit and break-up in every game, for every defenseman? Is he good at it?

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It's not too crazy. A bad team gives up a ton of attempts against, and doesn't generate much offense. A dull team gives up very little against, but doesn't generate much offense. A good team generates respectable offense and defense. A fun team generates offense but not much defense.

Honestly, I would rename "fun" as "scary". But it's rare for a team to creep too far into the fun square, so I guess you can call it fun if you have a team that is high scoring but a little loose defensively.

The Sabres are on the line between dull and bad because of how bad their offense is. Their defense is basically the deciding factor. They could tumble into bad soon, or they could start generating more offense and drag themselves closer to the absolute middle of the chart (where the most average teams are).

It's better to be dull or good than bad or fun.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's not too crazy. A bad team gives up a ton of attempts against, and doesn't generate much offense. A dull team gives up very little against, but doesn't generate much offense. A good team generates respectable offense and defense. A fun team generates offense but not much defense.

Honestly, I would rename "fun" as "scary". But it's rare for a team to creep too far into the fun square, so I guess you can call it fun if you have a team that is high scoring but a little loose defensively.

The Sabres are on the line between dull and bad because of how bad their offense is. Their defense is basically the deciding factor. They could tumble into bad soon, or they could start generating more offense and drag themselves closer to the absolute middle of the chart (where the most average teams are).

It's better to be dull or good than bad or fun.

Does this mean the Laffs are "fun"?

Just now, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Right. The Leafs are what I would describe as precarious in the context of playoff success. They shoot a lot but they're a little below average on defense.

San Jose is just crazy where they are right now on the chart. They're limiting opponents shots and taking shots like crazy. But they might be a little too far into the good square for their own good compared to a team like Tampa. Tampa is on the same general trend line but is having more success in the win column.

It's not exactly directly predictive.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Thatcher Demko is making his season debut for the Canucks tonight. He only has 1 other NHL start from what I can see. He had a 3.93gaa and a .867sv% in that game. His save percentage was calculated by hand counting the number of saves he made and doing math. I am sorry but I do not know the specific human that counted and if they have 20/20 vision or not. My B y'all. 

Edited by LGR4GM

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is that what the chart is about? And does this one dude "hand track" every possession-exit and break-up in every game, for every defenseman? Is he good at it?

You've asked this before and I've told you the answer. We're not in the 50s, technology has gotten remarkably adept at recording game statistics 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

You've asked this before and I've told you the answer. We're not in the 50s, technology has gotten remarkably adept at recording game statistics 

I don't know why you're even bothering. PA is all in on being "old man yells at cloud" about anything related to advanced stats.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Almost sounds like the charts are somewhere between BS and horsecock.

Now, now.

They do illuminate. They don't tell the whole story, of course.

29 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

For sure. And of late they've been trending closer to good.

Not sure where it's been discussed, but the TOR faithful have apparently been brutal to Gardiner (sp?). So says Twitter, anyway.

21 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's not exactly directly predictive.

Carolina would agree with that.

OTOH, someone posted the top-12 (or so) Corsi teams the other day -- all but one (Carolina) was in a playoff position.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't know why you're even bothering. PA is all in on being "old man yells at cloud" about anything related to advanced stats.

It's his shtick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.