GDT - Sabres @ Vancouver - January 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM - SNP; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, CallawaySabres said:

I am fine dropping a hell of a lot lower than 10th. This team needs to string together 10 losses in a row to make this season worth it again

I don’t agree with wanting to see loses.  Sorry, we had our premium draft picks.  Time to find players by good scouting and development like normal teams.

I want to win right now. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

I don’t agree with wanting to see loses.  Sorry, we had our premium draft picks.  Time to find players by good scouting and development like normal teams.

I want to win right now. 

Well I hate to break it to you but this team is not going to win now. They need players and they need really good players as in the top of the draft players

• Like (+1) 2

This one is on the coach.

It was obvious early that Pilut couldn't handle the Horvat line, yet he kept him out against them.  (Yes, he was the road coach, but you can change on the fly.)  Scandella has been trash for a month & he still keeps playing him.  He didn't shorten the forward bench the entire game & didn't shorten the D bench until only 4 minutes were left.

He needed to have the Larsson line hopping the boards every time Horvat stepped on the ice.

Soooo frustrated.  This game was very winnable.  Now, stew on it for 2 weeks boys.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Schalacked by the Oilers, beat the Flames in a tight battle game then drop one to the Canucks with massively catastrophic defensive zone play by our defensemen.

And here everyone was worried about Calgary.

Oh the irony......

The Sabres play to the level of competition they face.  The sign of an inexperienced team.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I want to win right now. 

Then someone needs to sit down with Botterill and be the adult in the conversation. Unless he's willing to use those 1st rd picks in trades, we're in for more "suffering".

This team has a real player talent and player chemistry problem.

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Well I hate to break it to you but this team is not going to win now. They need players and they need really good players as in the top of the draft players

I don’t think we need to lose 10 in a row to save the season. That is ridiculous.  The losing has to stop. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t think we need to lose 10 in a row to save the season. That is ridiculous.  The losing has to stop. 

The reality is that the Sabres are one of the top 5 worst teams in the league. They don't need to lose 10 in a row, they'll do plenty of losing between now and the end of the season regardless

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This one is on the coach.

It was obvious early that Pilut couldn't handle the Horvat line, yet he kept him out against them.  (Yes, he was the road coach, but you can change on the fly.)  Scandella has been trash for a month & he still keeps playing him.  He didn't shorten the forward bench the entire game & didn't shorten the D bench until only 4 minutes were left.

He needed to have the Larsson line hopping the boards every time Horvat stepped on the ice.

Soooo frustrated.  This game was very winnable.  Now, stew on it for 2 weeks boys.

There’s no way to justify ever playing Scandella again this season. And that was true weeks ago. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The reality is that the Sabres are one of the top 5 worst teams in the league. They don't need to lose 10 in a row, they'll do plenty of losing between now and the end of the season regardless

Enjoy the losing and then you can watch them pick the next Nylander and feel optimistic for a year.  

Two more scoring forwards, one being a 2C, and this team takes a big step.  Free agency and trades can get us there. 

You want players to come here, start winning. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Dahlin over 25 minutes tonight with a +/- of 0.

There are moments when he just amazes me. he is going to be something really really special (and soon). Some of his passes tonight were so quick and crisp and he moved the puck up so well. Never forget he is just a kid. Be excited.

Pilut on the other hand was absolute rubbish tonight and basically cost us the game.

13 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Okposo looks despondent. He point blank talked about the playoff situation. Hard not to like him personally.

Really liked the Larsson, Girgensens, Okposo combination. L & G have worked hard all year and that is pretty much our #2 line, not our #4. 

Good effort and a game we win if Pilut is just average and maybe Ullmark plays a little better. 

We get a lot of shots now but too many of them are easy cherry picking ones. We still need more traffic in front and more finish.

Maybe we don't make the playoffs. probably not, but it's still way more fun than last year and prior to the win streak did anyone actually think it was a one year fix? 

JUST SIGN SKINNER and all is well. Guy had a little Marchand in him tonight. Dirty  but sneakier. I liked it. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am fine dropping a hell of a lot lower than 10th. This team needs to string together 10 losses in a row to make this season worth it again

Cool philosophy, brah. You're kind of like the Vontae Davis of hockey fans, eh?

Here's what I see: Tampa Bay miles away from the rest of the conference, then 7 teams collectively separated by a miniscule 2 points, and then the Sabres 4 points behind those 7 teams with another 68 points to fight for....so let's keep fighting.

The long break from hockey will give everyone on that roster time to do some soul searching. Do they want to continue as perennial losers, making it 8 straight years without the playoffs at an organizational level, while watching other franchises around them rise, fall, and rise again? Or are they willing to put the time, effort, and focus needed to make the postseason for what will be the first ever for almost all of these players?

Notes for JB: call up Olofsson, Nylander, and Smith again. Get ready to make some trades, preferably for a center or two. And get rid of Scandella, Bay-low, and Sobotka in the process.

***** the draft. Let's win now. Way past tired of watching bad and inconsequential hockey.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.