GDT - Sabres @ Vancouver - January 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM - SNP; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's because you're not a jerk about it.

Is this by some 'urban dictionary' definition of jerk?

PA has a way with words, but just because you don't like those words does not make him a 'jerk'.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
positive waves all around ...

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Thatcher Demko is making his season debut for the Canucks tonight. He only has 1 other NHL start from what I can see. He had a 3.93gaa and a .867sv% in that game. His save percentage was calculated by hand counting the number of saves he made and doing math. I am sorry but I do not know the specific human that counted and if they have 20/20 vision or not. My B y'all. 

run him early.  Not to injure or anything but i would wholeheartedly support Larry getting in his grill early to see if we can rattle him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I didn’t see the below posted among the arguments on stats.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Sobotka-Rodrigues-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Pilut-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Bogosian
Scandella-McCabe

Ullmark

Its merely a passing stat spat!

Bring it Linus

Go Sabres

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

You guys are pounding PA pretty hard here.  I've pretty much agreed with all that he has to say about the fancy stats and have said as much, but nobody goes after me.  Makes me wonder.

Perhaps because he presents as more ... entertaining (?) quarry.

Edited by That Aud Smell

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

You guys are pounding PA pretty hard here.  I've pretty much agreed with all that he has to say about the fancy stats and have said as much, but nobody goes after me.  Makes me wonder.

Same here.  PA is just more in your face about it.  Sometimes I am too and I catch flak for it but then I back off.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

PA has a way with words, but just because you don't like those words does not make him a 'jerk'.

He's more abrupt.  More direct.  More blunt.

48 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I didn’t see the below posted among the arguments on stats.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Mittelstadt-Thompson
Sobotka-Rodrigues-Pominville
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Pilut-Ristolainen
Dahlin-Bogosian
Scandella-McCabe

Ullmark

That doesn't seem horrible.

GO SABRES!!

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Same here.  PA is just more in your face about it.  Sometimes I am too and I catch flak for it but then I back off.

He's more abrupt.  More direct.  More blunt.

I know I don't have enough posts to have any clout here but PA's a good "locker room guy" in that he gives anybody ***** and if its not directed at you it's usually pretty funny

Edited by Stu
  • Thanks (+1) 1

With a 3.91 GAA and .867 SV%, Sabres need to embrace the shooting mentality. Pepper Demko with everything. This is a home game for him which should add to the nerves hopefully resulting in juicy rebounds.

Crash the net on shot follow ups. Get in his face. Do not get too fancy out there. One or two passes in a north-south game. Possession is important but the kid has to be pressured.

PP must move the puck. Sticking to the left side has not been working. This is where you can get fancy with player movement, puck movement simple.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Thatcher Demko is making his season debut for the Canucks tonight. He only has 1 other NHL start from what I can see. He had a 3.93gaa and a .867sv% in that game. His save percentage was calculated by hand counting the number of saves he made and doing math. I am sorry but I do not know the specific human that counted and if they have 20/20 vision or not. My B y'all. 

That dude has absolutely stolen more games than I can remember from the Amerks. Just a witch in the crease. I hope it doesn't translate to the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Tim Schaller! Now there's a tank era name I had long forgotten.

He actually played well for the Bruins.  12 goals in 82 games on the 4th line last year. 

Would be happy to see that out of any of our bottom 6 players. 

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

He actually played well for the Bruins.  12 goals in 82 games on the 4th line last year. 

Would be happy to see that out of any of our bottom 6 players. 

Yeah of all the tankers (?),  he would not be near the top of my list of dubiousness.  Paul Szczechura, Ville Leino, Zenon Konopka, Messy Balls, Cal O'Reilly, Tyson Strachan, Zac Dalpe, Matt Ellis, Jerry D'Amigo, Matt D'Agostino. I feel like I'm making them up now. 

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah of all the tankers (?),  he would not be near the top of my list of dubiousness.  Paul Szczechura, Ville Leino, Zenon Konopka, Messy Balls, Cal O'Reilly, Tyson Strachan, Zac Dalpe, Matt Ellis, Jerry D'Amigo, Matt D'Agostino. I feel like I'm making them up now. 

Yeah, those guys can’t be real players. Must be the cast for Mighty Ducks 4

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

wow … that is a Hall of Shame list (except for Matt Ellis).   I remember the team I cobbled together in 1970 from the dregs of the NHL entry draft.  We would have beat the tank teams with ease.  Sure, I had to trade for Dickie Duff and Donnie Marshall to get some secondary scoring that year, but we played hard every night. 

- Punch  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You rascal!

4 hours ago, jsb said:

I think Fat sat on him accidentally

Image result for laurel and hardy pic

Laurel and Hardy fan? There's a movie coming out with John C. Reilly as one of them. I heard a clip on NPR and it sounded fascinating, the relationship between the two.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

You've asked this before and I've told you the answer. We're not in the 50s, technology has gotten remarkably adept at recording game statistics 

I'm not sure any technology exists that can measure that kind of stuff. It sure sounds like a dude watching games. Which is fine, but it has to be looked at skeptically.

3 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't know why you're even bothering. PA is all in on being "old man yells at cloud" about anything related to advanced stats.

When I see a chart I like, I'll be the first to admit it. But that one linked was absolutely inscrutable. It's a problem for fancy stats. It's not understandable or accessible for most fans. Maybe the purveyors of the stuff want it that way. Secret handshakes and all. Honestly, if that chart were in the NY Times, would you consider it good journalism?

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm more poundable. Must be the goatee, cowboy hat and bowtie.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I know I don't have enough posts to have any clout here but PA's a good "locker room guy" in that he gives anybody ***** and if its not directed at you it's usually pretty funny

I've thought of this from time to time. If you constructed an NHL roster out of SabreSpace, who would be in what position/role? I call dibs on Skinner. The high-pitched whining and enormous natural talent, etc.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours and 42 minutes... the anticipation is killing me and making me thirsty.  Trying to hold out until game time so I’m not trashed and passed out.

It just occurred to me... I will be in Europe for work for the next 10 days starting tomorrow night.  I couldn’t have planned this trip better for the NHL break.  Kudos to me.

Edited by Beer

4 minutes ago, Beer said:

2 hours and 42 minutes... the anticipation is killing me and making me thirsty.  Trying to hold out until game time so I’m not trashed and passed out.

It just occurred to me... I will be in Europe for work for the next 10 days starting tomorrow night.  I couldn’t have planned this trip better for the NHL break.  Kudos to me.

Be careful not to choke on your anticipations, Director Beer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.