GDT - Sabres @ Vancouver - January 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM - SNP; MSG-B

Sabres Fan in NS

The Sabres play tonight ... so forget all your duties, oh yeah ... ?

Seems like we will not be able to watch our Swedish hottie(s) take on their Swedish hottie.

Just give me another win and I do not care how, or what it looks like.

I can fly to Europe much faster than I can get to see duda, buno, or Rick ... this geography lesson brought to you by NS.

The most MUST WIN!! since the last MUST WIN!!

So, 

MUST WIN!!

GO SABRES!!

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
usually I am missing letter ... extra letter this time

LW C RW Forwards
Sven Baertschi
SVEN BAERTSCHI

Rating: 74.9#36 LW

Bo Horvat
BO HORVAT

Rating: 75.5#47 C

Brock Boeser
BROCK BOESER

Rating: 81.6#6 RW

FL1 Rating
Rating: 77.34#18 FL1
Antoine Roussel
ANTOINE ROUSSEL

Rating: 71.3#88 LW

Brandon Sutter
BRANDON SUTTER

Rating: 71.1#136 C

Jake Virtanen
JAKE VIRTANEN

Rating: 71.4#89 RW

FL2 Rating
Rating: 71.25#28 FL2
Tim Schaller
TIM SCHALLER

Rating: 68.8#126 LW

Markus Granlund
MARKUS GRANLUND

Rating: 70.8#147 C

Josh Leivo
JOSH LEIVO

Rating: 72.7#61 RW

FL3 Rating
Rating: 70.78#26 FL3
Loui Eriksson
LOUI ERIKSSON

Rating: 71.8#75 LW

Jay Beagle
JAY BEAGLE

Rating: 68.2#191 C

Tyler Motte
TYLER MOTTE

Rating: 69.4#116 RW

FL4 Rating
Rating: 69.79#25 FL4

DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS Defense
Alexander Edler
ALEXANDER EDLER

Rating: 75.8#21 LD

Chris Tanev
CHRIS TANEV

Rating: 71.9#58 RD

DL1 Rating
Rating: 73.86#21 DL1
Ben Hutton
BEN HUTTON

Rating: 70.8#100 LD

Troy Stecher
TROY STECHER

Rating: 73.3#38 RD

DL2 Rating
Rating: 72.06#23 DL2
Derrick Pouliot
DERRICK POULIOT

Rating: 70.8#101 LD

Erik Gudbranson
ERIK GUDBRANSON

Rating: 68.1#104 RD

DL3 Rating
Rating: 69.47#29 DL3
Edited by New Scotland (NS)
it looks like half of their team are Swedish ...

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I would really like Ullmark to get this start tonight but I don't trust Housley to do it.

I would also really like them to try LITERALLY ANYTHING different with PP1.

I expect Pilut to be benched for Hunwick and Dahlin to be benched for Bealiue at this point. 

The Varsity hockey team uses Friday nights for a pasta party.  The team leaves practice on the bus and gets dropped off at one of the players' houses.  This week we are sharing the duty with a few other families. 

It's an awesome experience where 22-25 high school kids swarm a buffet of food (tonight is garbage plates and mac & cheese).  It's like the Tasmanian Devil going through your kitchen.  They eat a ton, have a great time.

But, for the parents, it's even better.  First, you watch your kid be a part of his team.  Second, you definitely drink to survive.

The point of this story?

A late game means I will almost assuredly be speaking in cursive at puck drop!

Let's Go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This is going to be a late one but I’m all in.  I like getting to watch the west coast players that we rarely see.  Canuck’s top line is going to be a handful.  I hope PH has them ready from puck drop.  

Full 60 tonight!

Go Sabres!  

• Like (+1) 1

Last game before an 11 day hiatus where we'll have nothing to discuss around here except some advanced stats and the Justin Bailey trade, so let's make this a good one.

A win tonight sets us up for a mid-season push to reestablish ourselves in the Wild Card race. I recall a few years ago, under HCDDB, when we came out of the mandatory break, well rested against a bottom feeder team, a win would have put us just close to competing for a playoff spot and we laid an egg and then went on a protracted losing streak which shut the door on the season. I'm hoping for the opposite of that this year.

Here's to Jack having a strong game, Skinner putting another up and a solid victory. 

TONIGHT’S GAME
SABRES at CANUCKS

• This is the second of two meetings between the Sabres and Canucks this season.
  • Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Vancouver 4-3 (SO) in Buffalo on Nov. 10, 2018
  • The Sabres are 4-6-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Canucks; 2-7-1 on the road.
  • This is the 122nd game all-time between Buffalo and Vancouver; Buffalo has a 50-52-19 series record.
  • The Sabres are 18-31-11 on the road against the Canucks all-time.

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

• The Sabres are 12-4-4 all-time on January 18.
  • Four different Sabres goaltenders (Don Edwards, Tom Barrasso, Dominik Hasek, Martin Biron) have earned a shutout on Jan. 18. It is one of only three dates on which the Sabres have recorded four shutouts; the others are Feb. 16 and Nov. 19.
  • January 18, 1984: Tom Barrasso makes 30 saves in his first NHL shutout as the Sabres top the Los Angeles Kings 4-0.
  • January 18, 2008: Derek Roy records his third career hat trick and Drew Stafford records his first in a 10-1 win against the Atlanta Thrashers, marking the 12th game in franchise history to feature two Sabres hat tricks.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

• Tonight’s game is the final game in a three-game road trip through Western Canada for the Sabres. Buffalo is 10-3-1 against the Pacific Division this season.
  • With a win tonight, the Sabres will have swept the Canucks in a season series for the first time since the teams resumed facing off twice a season in 2013-14. Buffalo’s last two-win series against Vancouver came in 1997-98.
  • Johan Larsson is expected to appear in his 300th NHL game tonight.
  • Evan Rodrigues has scored in each of Buffalo’s last two games and is seeking his first career three-game goal streak.
  • Sam Reinhart has already set career-high totals in assists (33) and multi-point games (13) this season. The Sabres are 18-7-4 this season when he records at least one point and 28-4-6 (.816) in his career when he records at least two.

DAH-LEAN ON ME
    Entering play Thursday, Rasmus Dahlin led rookie defensemen and tied for second among all NHL rookies with 26 points (5+21) this season.

• Rasmus Dahlin enters tonight’s game on a career-best, five-game point streak (1+5). He joins Bobby Orr (2x), Phil Housley and Aaron Ekblad as the only defensemen ever to record five-game point streaks before their 19th birthdays. A point tonight would make him the first 18-year-old defenseman to tally a point in six straight games.
  • During his five-game streak, Dahlin has a plus-4 rating, and has averaged 22:10 of ice time and 3.2 shots per game, also boasting a 52.94 percent shot attempt percentage (CF%) during 5-on-5 play.
  • With 26 points (5+21) through 47 games, Dahlin is scoring at a higher rate than he did in the Swedish Hockey League last season, when he totaled 20 points (7+13) in 41 games.
  • Dahlin’s current point total puts him on pace for 45 points this season. It would trail only Phil Housley (57 points in 1982-83) for the most ever recorded by a defenseman before his 19th birthday.
  • NIFTY FIFTY
    With his first point on Wednesday at Calgary, Jack Eichel became just the fifth player in franchise history to record at least 50 points in each of his first four NHL seasons, joining Phil Housley, Rick Martin, Gilbert Perreault and Christian Ruuttu.

• At his current pace, Jack Eichel would finish the season tied for the fifth-most even-strength points ever recorded by a Sabre, trailing only LaFontaine (83) and Mogilny (78) in 1992-93, and Gilbert Perreault in 1975-76 (70).
  • Eichel would trail only LaFontaine’s franchise-record 52 even-strength assists that season and would become the first Sabre to record at least 90 points since Daniel Briere in 2006-07 (95).
  • If the Sabres’ top scorers continue their current pace, the team would have three 75-point players for the first time since 1992-93 (Pat LaFontaine, Alexander Mogilny, Dale Hawerchuk).
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Re Dahlin. I saw some of Sean Tierney's charts this week that reflected that, of late specifically, Dahlin is already playing like one of the league's best d-men. I forget the metric at issue, but Dahlin was an outlier in the company of Karlsson and a couple others.

His controlled breakouts are crazy high. His controlled zone entries are also crazy high. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I think that kid might just stick around if he keeps working at his game.

He's a little bit okay and everything. I was talking to a friend yesterday and sometimes I see Dahlin not only attempt but succeed in doing things that I am fairly certain other defenders are not even contemplating. He can literally slow the game down or speed it up at will. I think the 10 day break will be fantastic for him because it will give him a good break to process and relax. The final push from him might be even more electric. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His controlled breakouts are crazy high. His controlled zone entries are also crazy high. 

Nice use of stats masquerading as charts,  Ducks and runs for cover... 

Definitely interested to see if this team can back up their words from calgary game where they said they know now how they ened to play to be successful.. 

Lets Go Buff-a-lo..!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.