Trade Thread -- 2019 Deadline Edition (Actual Trades not Involving Sabres). Also, trade rumors and all other thoughts about anything.

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

That’s going rate for a player like Muzzin.

Teams relying too heavily on first round picks in trades is where we’re at. The prospect is the most important piece. Give up in the pick department to get better prospects every time.

1 hour ago, jame said:

1. Yes it’s my opinion, which you continue to provide irrelevant counter points to. 

2. We are talking about what should’ve been done at the beginning of the year. Your argument about # of forwards (which is irrelevant to making the right decision with prospects), wasn’t accurate to begin with 

How was it NOT accurate? They started the season with 13 active forwards which included Mitts and TT. 

To my knowledge 13-2 still equals 11. I don't think the "new math" changed that.

And so you know....your roster for the start of the season is WRONG. Larsson was on IR to start the season (as was Wilson). Elie was picked off waivers to complete the 23-man roster of 13F, 8D, and 2G.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But he is getting 14 minutes a game, not 8 or 10. And he is not wasting away in the press box, or playing with grinders. Like it or not, he’s playing mostly with our middle six wingers.

The Sabres have made a very conscious decision that this is the best way to develop him. Like Charlie says, both he and the team may be better off next year avoiding having him “learn the NHL” next year.

More to the point, he is six points away from being our 4th highest scoring forward and playing in a playoff race. It’s not like he’s in and out of the lineup in a poisoned locker room actively chasing a lottery pick.

Time will tell if we’ve stunted his development.

yes, time will tell.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

How was it NOT accurate? They started the season with 13 active forwards which included Mitts and TT. 

To my knowledge 13-2 still equals 11. I don't think the "new math" changed that.

And so you know....your roster for the start of the season is WRONG. Larsson was on IR to start the season (as was Wilson). Elie was picked off waivers to complete the 23-man roster of 13F, 8D, and 2G.

They could’ve started the season with ***** Matt Moulson or 2 of the 20+ forwards who were put on waivers... or more experienced guys like Oregan and Smith... or given Bailey a last chance... the point remains, you develop your prospects properly first, you don’t make decisions on their development path based on the NHL roster.

Not surprised at all with a D man to Toronto. But Muzzin? At 4 million next season? Gardiner's replacement to be sure, but that Cap situation didn't get any better and if they don't get out of the quarter or semi rounds this playoffs...………..it is going to be a bidding war for Marner. Oh please Botterill, get in that action if it's palatable cost wise.

1 hour ago, jame said:

They could’ve started the season with ***** Matt Moulson or 2 of the 20+ forwards who were put on waivers... or more experienced guys like Oregan and Smith... or given Bailey a last chance... the point remains, you develop your prospects properly first, you don’t make decisions on their development path based on the NHL roster.

This post was meant to be a joke right?

1 hour ago, jame said:

Speaking of O'Regan and Smith...……...bottom 6'ers to be sure, but O'Regan with that hustle and Smith doesn't look out of place on a 3rd/4th line role. Is it time to move Girgs? I think so.

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Speaking of O'Regan and Smith...……...bottom 6'ers to be sure, but O'Regan with that hustle and Smith doesn't look out of place on a 3rd/4th line role. Is it time to move Girgs? I think so.

They don't bring the same things to the table as Zemgus.  He's found a niche that works for him and the team. Now if you want to talk about Sabotka and Pominville, I'm willing to listen.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Inserted in the O’Regan hustle comments.

Didnt see that at all during his call-up last year. Looked like a textbook tweeter to me, a skill guy who wasn’t skilled enough to play that game in the NHL.

I've been catching an Amerks game here and there, the hustle I'm seeing from him when I do watch them is somewhat impressive. And he seems to be finding the net. Granted, it is the AHL, but I did get a chance to ask some board members if that hustle and speed has been something of a regular for O'Regan. I would like to think one of these off trade guys figures it out enough to get it to click for them.

As it stands now, just the names I know anyways, Thompson, Nylander, Olofsson, Smith and O'Regan are possibles come end of season or next season, no? If that is the case, which one of these guys looks ready to really contribute, I don't mean just filling a roster spot, but really step it up and be a bit of a difference maker?

Right now, not impressed with Thompson's puck control or finish ability, to little, to late. Olofsson and O'Regan intrigue me for their finish ability, but not so sure on other facets of their game play, as I said, just haven't seen the Amerks consistent enough (dam work schedule gets in the way).

Some interesting players though, I guess.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

They don't bring the same things to the table as Zemgus.  He's found a niche that works for him and the team. Now if you want to talk about Sabotka and Pominville, I'm willing to listen.  

Makes sense. I would really like to see some impact from Rochester. Not just for the Sabres, but some guys with high energy, bust'em through the glass along the boards type power forwards...….

Something to think about when looking at our pipeline;

Rasmus Ristolainen has been around forever and he is 24, just a year older than shiny new toy Lawrence Pilut; don’t confuse recency bias with potential.

O’Regan turns 25 this week. Smith just turned 24. Olofsson will be 24 in July.

Thompson turned 21 and Mittelstadt 20 this fall.  Guhle is 21 and Nylander 20.

39 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

This post was meant to be a joke right?

The joke is on us... the fans 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Something to think about when looking at our pipeline;

Rasmus Ristolainen has been around forever and he is 24, just a year older than shiny new toy Lawrence Pilut; don’t confuse recency bias with potential.

O’Regan turns 25 this week. Smith just turned 24. Olofsson will be 24 in July.

Thompson turned 21 and Mittelstadt 20 this fall.  Guhle is 21 and Nylander 20.

What are you trying to say?

41 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Not surprised at all with a D man to Toronto. But Muzzin? At 4 million next season? Gardiner's replacement to be sure, but that Cap situation didn't get any better and if they don't get out of the quarter or semi rounds this playoffs...………..it is going to be a bidding war for Marner. Oh please Botterill, get in that action if it's palatable cost wise.

4 million is a bargain for a very good 2nd pair D.

Marner isn’t going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, jame said:

4 million is a bargain for a very good 2nd pair D.

Marner isn’t going anywhere.

Muzzin has lost a couple of steps. I watch quite a bit of the west coast games, he's not what he was a couple years ago. It was a fair trade however.

As for Marner, I speak from some clarity with this, Toronto is in trouble cap wise for next season. The statement of keeping them all together isn't going to happen. There is a real reason why Marner and his Agent will not talk contract until after the season, and it has 0, nothing, notta, zilch to do with staying loyal to Toronto. You can bet there is going to be a sacrificial lamb out of Toronto, and it isn't going to be Nylander.

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I find it interesting that some people can find hope in a 25-year old minor leaguer and others are writing off a 21-year-old NHLer.

Olofsson has 37 points in 40 games of his rookie AHL season, Tage had two combined for a total of 20 points in 46 games. Yes, Tage is younger, and yes Olofsson has much more experience, especially in men's leagues. But honestly, what about Thompson's game makes anyone think he's likely to succeed? He has a great shot that seldom hits the net...and that's it. He is a poor skater, poor situational awareness, and poor...everything else. Olofsson hast the shot but it's better, he has the smarts, and he's faster; he's not as big though. All in all, Olofsson just seems much more promising 

Edit: I'm starting my own bunker for Thompson. Just need a good name for it

Edited by WildCard

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Olofsson has 37 points in 40 games of his rookie AHL season, Tage had two combined for a total of 20 points in 46 games. Yes, Tage is younger, and yes Olofsson has much more experience, especially in men's leagues. But honestly, what about Thompson's game makes anyone think he's likely to succeed? He has a great shot that seldom hits the net...and that's it. He is a poor skater, poor situational awareness, and poor...everything else. Olofsson hast the shot but it's better, he has the smarts, and he's faster; he's not as big though. All in all, Olofsson just seems much more promising 

I really don't think that's what he was referring to, lol.

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Edit: I'm starting my own bunker for Thompson. Just need a good name for it

Tage's Cage?

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And really think that the most likely way for the Sabres to make the playoffs is with Columbus imploding.  Stay ahead of the Candy Canes & they'd be in with a BJ pseudo tank.  Get back ahead of the Habs & they avoid TB.

I think the most likely way the Sabres make the playoffs is if Columbus implodes AND the Sabres get Panarin. We know Panarin is not coming here and I really think Carolina will end up getting the 8 spot when all is said and done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.