Trade Thread -- 2019 Deadline Edition (Actual Trades not Involving Sabres). Also, trade rumors and all other thoughts about anything.

Brawndo

2 hours ago, jame said:

Do you think a screenshot of Brian Boyle’s points is relevant?

Would you argue points are irrelevant?

---

Honestly, I don't want some parsed response explaining why there's so much more to the game, and what Boyle may or may not offer, than points.

I want you to argue why a screenshot detailing a player in question's stats is irrelevant - how it does not have any relevance to the discussion at hand.

Put together an argument detailing why the stats of a player have no relevance to the discussion of a player.

If you can't detail that convincingly, completely remove any and all relevance that those statistics might have regarding a player, then get back under your bridge.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Would you argue points are irrelevant?

---

Honestly, I don't want some parsed response explaining why there's so much more to the game, and what Boyle may or may not offer, than points.

I want you to argue why a screenshot detailing a player in question's stats is irrelevant - how it does not have any relevance to the discussion at hand.

Put together an argument detailing why the stats of a player have no relevance to the discussion of a player.

If you can't detail that convincingly, completely remove any and all relevance that those statistics might have regarding a player, then get back under your bridge.

Because Boyle is acquired to be a face off winning 4th liner, who plays the body hard and gives an honest shift every time he’s on the ice. He’ll take tough d zone matchups and be counted on the tilt the ice.

the fact that he’s having one of his better offensive seasons in awhile is irrelevant.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jame said:

Because Boyle is acquired to be a face off winning 4th liner, who plays the body hard and gives an honest shift every time he’s on the ice. He’ll take tough d zone matchups and be counted on the tilt the ice.

the fact that he’s having one of his better offensive seasons in awhile is irrelevant.

So you can't do it? Ok. Get back under your bridge. 

---

Even if we live in this imaginary world you are presenting, where management would pay absolutely zero attention to the offensive production of the player in question (we don't), it still doesn't preclude the scenario where I, or others, would consider production an interesting discussion point, where it concerns a player or players in question, or the type of player one might rather acquire.

"Do you think a screenshot of Brian Boyle’s points is relevant?" is a clown post. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So you can't do it? Ok. Get back under your bridge. 

---

Even if we live in this imaginary world you are presenting, where management would pay absolutely zero attention to the offensive production of the player in question (we don't), it still doesn't preclude the scenario where I, or others, would consider production an interesting discussion point, where it concerns a player or players in question, or the type of player one might rather acquire.

"Do you think a screenshot of Brian Boyle’s points is relevant?" is a clown post. 

Jay McKee is going to miss the rest of the 2016 playoffs....

”meh.... insert screenshot of points”

2 minutes ago, jame said:

Jay McKee is going to miss the rest of the 2016 playoffs....

”meh.... insert screenshot of points”

We are talking filling a hole at the centre ice position. Your argument was that points are not relevant to the discussion.

If we are talking goaltender, then yes, points are irrelevant. At every other position, it's a reasonable discussion point.

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We are talking filling a hole at the centre ice position. Your argument was that points are not relevant to the discussion.

If we are talking goaltender, then yes, points are irrelevant. At every other position, it's a reasonable discussion point.

Nope.

regardless, how many 4th line centers do you think are out scoring Boyle?

24 minutes ago, jame said:

Nope.

regardless, how many 4th line centers do you think are out scoring Boyle?

The idea isn't that you need more scoring from your 4th line centre than what Boyle might provide, the idea is that the a 4th line centre like Boyle doesn't provide the offence I would like to see the team add, should they bring in another centreman. 

His point totals don't suggest he's a bad 4th liner; the point totals suggest what we need, in my opinion, isn't the addition of a 4th line centre.

I don't care if you think that's wrong, but it's relevant to the discussion.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

The idea isn't that you need more scoring from your 4th line centre than what Boyle might provide, the idea is that the a 4th line centre like Boyle doesn't provide the offence I would like to see the team add, should they bring in another centreman. 

His point totals don't suggest he's a bad 4th liner; the point totals suggest what we need, in my opinion, isn't the addition of a 4th line centre.

I don't care if you think that's wrong, but it's relevant to the discussion.

You were commenting on the Boyle trade in relation to the Sabres? Weird... obviously Boyle wouldn’t fill a neee for us... but it’s a great move for nashville

On 2/1/2019 at 2:07 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

I'll happily take Boyle for cheap to bolster our center depth, but he is not the droid we're looking for. That'd be a Bob Corkum level addition. 

11 hours ago, jame said:

You were commenting on the Boyle trade in relation to the Sabres? Weird... obviously Boyle wouldn’t fill a neee for us... but it’s a great move for nashville

No, I was commenting on Boyle, after True's post above, in line with the discussion, before any trade had been made. So, definitely not weird.

So was this all pointless because you don't feel like reading the threads attentively or are you just trolling? Serious question.

Edited by Thorny

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, I was commenting on Boyle, after True's post above, in line with the discussion, before any trade had been made. So, definitely not weird.

So was this all pointless because you don't feel like reading the threads attentively or are you just trolling? Serious question.

Not trolling. It’s not my fault you were too lazy to use the quote function to appropriately provide the context for your response.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:46 PM, Brawndo said:

I always laugh a little when a team that trade away a player for a pick posts that they "acquired a pick" (especially a late-round one ... next year), as though it were something big that they went out and got.  Probably wouldn't have sounded as good to say: "OFFICIAL: #NYR sent Marek Mazanec packing to the Vancouver Canucks for a measly seventh-round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft."

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

This one is actually interesting; the Oilers have completely given up on him.

It's a weird trade.

Oilers get what they need, a salary dump so they can bring back Sekera this week from IR. They dump a pending UFA that's lost his starting job. Usually a move like that would require a pick also to sweeten the deal, but the Flyers instead just send back a younger goalie who was down their depth chart. I guess if the Flyers feel Stolarz is garbage and worth less than a 7th rounder it makes more sense. From what i read before the trade happened, the Flyers wanted a veteran goalie to back up Hart and wanted Talbot for more then this year. With their other goalies on IR and being UFAs at the end of the season, they were looking to acquire Talbot and give them some extra time to possibly get an extension worked out. 

Looking at the league, its littered with goalies who looked great as backups for a year or 2, then got moved or signed as UFAs by another team to be a starter only to fail. Talbot, Lack, Hutton, the Carolina goalie they picked from Chicago, half the goalie depth chart of the Flyers. Seems like the better goalies come from the draft and get developed over the years in your system.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.