Trade Thread -- 2019 Deadline Edition (Actual Trades not Involving Sabres). Also, trade rumors and all other thoughts about anything.

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

No, you read the post and twisted to mean something else.

Me: you always send a prospect down if that’s what’s best for them

You: yea but...

me: No buts

you: but 11 forwards...

me: stop it

also....

skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Sheary-Berglund-Okposo

Erod -Sobotka-Pominville

Elie-Larson-Girgs 

Edited by jame

3 minutes ago, jame said:

Me: you always send a prospect down if that’s what’s best for them

You: yea but...

me: No buts

you: but 11 forwards...

me: stop it

also....

skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Sheary-Berglund-Okposo

Erod -Sobotka-Pominville

Elie-Larson-Girgs 

Bolded #1....this is your problem....I never said it had anything to do with what's best for them or not. It was just a process and timing issue.

Bolded #2....Berglund isn't here right now and hasn't been for awhile. It's only YOUR opinion as to when he should have been in Roch....but that's all that matters right? Your opinion of JBot seems to be of the minority, but at least we allow you that opinion.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Bolded #1....this is your problem....I never said it had anything to do with what's best for them or not. It was just a process and timing issue.

Bolded #2....Berglund isn't here right now and hasn't been for awhile. It's only YOUR opinion as to when he should have been in Roch....but that's all that matters right? Your opinion of JBot seems to be of the minority, but at least we allow you that opinion.

1. Yes it’s my opinion, which you continue to provide irrelevant counter points to. 

2. We are talking about what should’ve been done at the beginning of the year. Your argument about # of forwards (which is irrelevant to making the right decision with prospects), wasn’t accurate to begin with 

12 minutes ago, jame said:

1. Yes it’s my opinion, which you continue to provide irrelevant counter points to. 

2. We are talking about what should’ve been done at the beginning of the year. Your argument about # of forwards (which is irrelevant to making the right decision with prospects), wasn’t accurate to begin with 

How is it irrelevant to discuss # of forwards?

You're idea that Mittelstadt couldn't have succeeded as the team's 3c is inaccurate to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

How is it irrelevant to discuss # of forwards?

You're idea that Mittelstadt couldn't have succeeded as the team's 3c is inaccurate to begin with. 

Because properly developing prospects supercedes 

if you disagree with my view that mittelstadt was not ready, fine... argue with me over what made him ready/not ready... 

but if you move beyond arguing his readiness, then the # of forwards is an irrelevant argument with regards to how we handled/should’ve handled Mittelstadt. It’s neither an acceptable excuse or a credible driver of decision making with regards to the proper development of a key prospect 

Edited by jame

1 hour ago, jame said:

Yea, the obvious is obvious

you jumped in to a conversation you clearly did not understand the context of 

Correct. I think he’s done a terrible job, and a ton of damage 

I think it's fine to have your own opinions but you're coming across,in my mind, with a bit of pompous attitude. "A ton of damage"? " A terrible job?" Hyperbolic indeed.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

I think it's fine to have your own opinions but you're coming across,in my mind, with a bit of pompous attitude. "A ton of damage"? " A terrible job?" Hyperbolic indeed.

Yes. A ton of damage... being masked by two gifts from the hockey gods (Dahlin, Skinner).

Botts traded away a prime aged all star center and got of bunch of crap and a lottery ticket in return... it was Milbury level stupid.

and the trade culminated in rushing our best prospect to the NHL.... magnifying the impact of said stupidity.

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Mittelstadt was not going to learn anything from the AHL. In fact, he's probably gotten more playing time up here than he would have behind Smith down there.

I'm not familiar with how the ice time is handed out in Rochester, but I disagree on him not learning anything in the AHL. I believe if he is going to be a center, there are things he could have learned in the AHL while developing his physical side, such as defensive awareness and O-zone positioning.

I also believe there could have been a test of chemistry with wingers, such as Smith, Olofsson and Nylander. More so than who he's been saddled with up with the big club.

I do wonder if Buffalo gets eliminated from playoff contention if they'll send him down for an Amerks run.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Mittelstadt was not going to learn anything from the AHL. In fact, he's probably gotten more playing time up here than he would have behind Smith down there.

This isn't accurate. Right now the center depth is Porter, Asplund, Criscuolo and Malone. He would easily be atop that depth Chart. 

19 minutes ago, WildCard said:

IF... Mitts wasn’t going to learn anything at the AHL level, that would explain why he’s been so bad at the NHL level.

FYI Mitts has been among the lowest ES TOI forwards on the team... playing 2nd line center is Rochester would’ve gotten him more ice time for sure... not to mention potentially building on the pre-season line chemistry (Nylander-Mitts-Thompson)....

Just now, jame said:

IF... Mitts wasn’t going to learn anything at the AHL level, that would explain why he’s been so bad at the NHL level.

FYI Mitts has been among the lowest ES TOI forwards on the team... playing 2nd line center is Rochester would’ve gotten him more ice time for sure... not to mention potentially building on the pre-season line chemistry (Nylander-Mitts-Thompson)....

Alright so maybe he would have gotten more time. He may have learned more from that ice time, but I think you're just delaying the NHL rookie growing pains. He has access to so much more experience, training, and knowledge at this level; if we didn't go through this pain with him this year, we just would have done it next year, when we really should be competing. I'm glad we got him and Dahlin's rookie pains out of the way with on the same year

Just now, inkman said:

Top RW as far as I could tell but Ogre seems a lot more sober at games than me.

Well shows how much I know about Rochester

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well shows how much I know about Rochester

Oo..oo! Can I take a stab at the appropriate response??

...ahem...

Then what are you doing commenting on Mitts and whether he should be in the AHL?  

...thank you!  THANK YOU!

Just now, ... said:

Oo..oo! Can I take a stab at the appropriate response??

...ahem...

Then what are you doing commenting on Mitts and whether he should be in the AHL?  

...thank you!  THANK YOU!

So knowing the Amerks depth chart is key on knowing where Mitts should be? I don't think he should be in the AHL, period.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Alright so maybe he would have gotten more time. He may have learned more from that ice time, but I think you're just delaying the NHL rookie growing pains. He has access to so much more experience, training, and knowledge at this level; if we didn't go through this pain with him this year, we just would have done it next year, when we really should be competing. I'm glad we got him and Dahlin's rookie pains out of the way with on the same year

So basically you think development is some sort of myth?

so you don’t think Barzal benefitted from a 2nd development year before making the NHL? Where was the pain that the isles delayed dealing with by letting him develop that 2nd year?

you think we got Mittelstadt’s pains out of the way, IMO we exasperated and extended them, by not helping him build the proper foundation.

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Good move for both sides 

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Image result for always sunny dennis choking gif

6 minutes ago, jame said:

So basically you think development is some sort of myth?

so you don’t think Barzal benefitted from a 2nd development year before making the NHL? Where was the pain that the isles delayed dealing with by letting him develop that 2nd year?

you think we got Mittelstadt’s pains out of the way, IMO we exasperated and extended them, by not helping him build the proper foundation.

Yes that's it, I think development is a myth

Edited by WildCard

15 minutes ago, jame said:

But he is getting 14 minutes a game, not 8 or 10. And he is not wasting away in the press box, or playing with grinders. Like it or not, he’s playing mostly with our middle six wingers.

The Sabres have made a very conscious decision that this is the best way to develop him. Like Charlie says, both he and the team may be better off next year avoiding having him “learn the NHL” next year.

More to the point, he is six points away from being our 4th highest scoring forward and playing in a playoff race. It’s not like he’s in and out of the lineup in a poisoned locker room actively chasing a lottery pick.

Time will tell if we’ve stunted his development.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.