NHL Rookie of the Year Race - Team Sweden

GASabresIUFAN

Who is leading the ROY race and who should be the ROY  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the favorite right now for the ROY?

• Pettersson - C - Van
    • Dahlin - D - BUF
    • White - C - OTT
    • Heiskanen - D - DAL
    • Other
  2. 2. Who Should win the ROY?

• Pettersson
    • Dahlin
    • White
    • Heiskanen
    • Other

16 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

This was discussed last night during the Sabres/Vancouver telecast on the Vancouver feed, which anyone watching Center Ice had to watch.

They all concluded it is absolutely still Pettersson's to lose....

But they also pointed out that our boy is on pace to have the most points, in a rookie season, by any defenseman in the NHL in like 20 years. And he's 18 years old.

I have said it time and again; he's going to be more important to this franchise than Eichel.

It's possible, but as long as they're both in Buffalo the question of which is more important will be fairly academic.  Sort of like, was Gretzky more important for championships or was Messier.  Gretzky was clearly better, but was he more important?

And, I fully expect, regardless of how their careers to play out, for many people to say Dahlin was more important seemingly because Eichel always seems to be blamed somehow for the tank & for not being McClavicle.  He doesn't seem to fully be able to escape the taint of being associated with the tank, though it doesn't seem to follow Reinhart around, and we seem to simply be happy the Sabres landed Dahlin & don't hold him in disregard simply due to how awful last season was.

And I'd like to see Eichel become a 100 point player & Dahlin consistently lead the league in D-man scoring.  To win championships, likely both will be necessary (but not sufficient).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 1/19/2019 at 3:04 PM, Taro T said:

It's possible, but as long as they're both in Buffalo the question of which is more important will be fairly academic.  Sort of like, was Gretzky more important for championships or was Messier.  Gretzky was clearly better, but was he more important?

And, I fully expect, regardless of how their careers to play out, for many people to say Dahlin was more important seemingly because Eichel always seems to be blamed somehow for the tank & for not being McClavicle.  He doesn't seem to fully be able to escape the taint of being associated with the tank, though it doesn't seem to follow Reinhart around, and we seem to simply be happy the Sabres landed Dahlin & don't hold him in disregard simply due to how awful last season was.

And I'd like to see Eichel become a 100 point player & Dahlin consistently lead the league in D-man scoring.  To win championships, likely both will be necessary (but not sufficient).

Whoever wins more Conn Smythes will be viewed as more important. 

On 1/19/2019 at 4:04 PM, Taro T said:

I think you missed an opportunity here......Eichel/ Dahlin.......Gretzky/ Coffey.

3 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think you missed an opportunity here......Eichel/ Dahlin.......Gretzky/ Coffey.

Ummm, there is not a single person that ever thought Coffey was the straw that stirred that drink.  

If going F/D, that'd be Trottier/Potvin or even Orr/ Esposito.

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Ummm, there is not a single person that ever thought Coffey was the straw that stirred that drink.  

If going F/D, that'd be Trottier/Potvin or even Orr/ Esposito.

Not correct. 

The first 2 cups they won Coffey had almost 100pts more than Messier. He was just as much an integral part of their winning.

I used to think the same way as you until some discussions showed me otherwise. Not taking away from Messier, just adding Coffey. You can't deny that almost 250pts for a Dman in two years didn't "stir the drink", even if he was one of those bendy straws. Why are teams trying to emulate that style of Dman today....Dahlin?

4 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not correct. 

The first 2 cups they won Coffey had almost 100pts more than Messier. He was just as much an integral part of their winning.

I used to think the same way as you until some discussions showed me otherwise. Not taking away from Messier, just adding Coffey. You can't deny that almost 250pts for a Dman in two years didn't "stir the drink", even if he was one of those bendy straws. Why are teams trying to emulate that style of Dman today....Dahlin?

You didn't watch those teams much did you? ;)

Coffey was a very good offensive defenseman, but he was never a lead dog.  Heck, he was traded away while the run was still in full swing.

And it's very disingenuous to make a huge deal out of Coffey's points over a 2 season span that saw Messier hurt for over a quarter of 1 of the seasons.  The year they were both healthy, Coffey only had 25 more points than Messier during the regular season and 4 fewer points in the playoffs.

And Gretzky had more than 150 more points than Coffey those 2 seasons.  Not 1 person (not related to Paul) ever thought he was the key piece in Edmonton or Pittsburgh.  Nor was he considered the key man in any other town he couldn't help a lead dog lead them to the promised land.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.